Who Owns a Garlic Peeler?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Corey123

Washing Up
Has anyone seen this item?:ermm:

I think it's either made of rubber or silicone.Oxo has one out.

You put the unpeeled garlic cloves inside the tube, then you roll the thing back and forth with the cloves in it, and the skins are supposed to come off easily.:neutral:

I didn't buy it, but I WAS looking at it.

I used one a few times, it seemed like if the garlic was old it worked ok, but if it was fresh, not so good.

I have one and I think it works great but I usually have all the garlic peeled and chopped before I remember that it's in the drawer. :rolleyes:

I have one, somewhere in the drawer, don't use it, but when I first got it I did and it seemed to me it worked. It's just easier to pound the garlic with my knife and get at it that way.

I've seen them but they seem like a waste of money and time. Takes about 2 seconds with my knife.

I am a recovering kitchen gizmoholic.

Unfortunately there are no meetings for us where we can admit we have every version of the George Foreman grill or have put at least one of Ron Propeil's children through college.

A key facet of my recovery process was realizing that there are, and have been, many great cooks who never, ever used a Veg-O-Matic.

I know nothing of garlic peelers. They may be very cheap, and be more efficient than a one armed short order cook.

But will I buy one? Heck no. I will use my chef knife and crush the suckers and peel them myself.

Nothing against the items, but by shunning them I have reached the eleventh step of my own, homemade twelve step program for ignoring cooking doodads.

The twelfth step is being able to sit through a whole day of paid progamming kitchen shows and not reaching for the credit card once.

A tough leap I know, but I am close.

Then, once there, I have to start my twelve step program about buying cookbooks.

Sigh.

Enjoy your garlic peeler.

I have one and recommend it.

I use it when I have to peel a lot of garlic. If I have to do only one or two cloves it is not worth it, and frankly it works better when there are 4-5-6 cloves in the roll any way.

For me it leaves the cloves clean and skin free with just a few back and forth rolls. It is a useful addition to my tool kit.

Your actual mileage may vary.

I use way too much garlic, but have never needed anything other than a knife and my fingers to peel it, and the steel tap to clear my fingers of the smell...but at the rate we eat garlic I imagine the smell of it on my fingers is the least of my worries :)

I'm too cheap to buy them so I went to the mega home center to the plumbing department. I bought an 18-inch length of 1 1/2-inch diameter discharge hose and cut it into 3 equal lengths. For about a dollar I ended up with three peelers. They work just like the other expensive ones.

Before I made my own peelers, I used my flat rubber jar opener. It works well, too.

I do have one. Where is it? In which drawer? And then the clean-up. No
I do not recommend buying. Other methods posted are fine.

One was given to me as a present and I have yet to use it.
I hate getting the smell of garlic on my hands (even those steel garlic removers don't work on me) so I use jarred garlic now. :blush:

I've never had one. I have had several garlic presses, but they're all gone with the wind.
I smack the clove hard with the chef's knife, which loosens the peel enough that it's easy to get off with your fingers.
I have also learned that in certain dishes, the garlic doesn't even need to be peeled. You just let it roast along with the meat, etc.
I must admit, though, that a lot of the time, I use the jarred minced garlic. I just have so much trouble keeping the fresh...if I don't use it right away, it spoils on me. So I only buy it when I intend to use it right away.

Back
Top Bottom