Need ramekin recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pontypool

Assistant Cook
I need some recipes for ramekin cake recipes. Specifically a jam upside pudding. (got jam I need to use up)
I don't like making big puddings because it's really only me and the wife eats them and I prefer to cook fresh individual recipes.

In addition, I can't get hold of baking powder, so I was looking into an alternative which is mainly lemon juice mixed with bicarbonate of soda (which I think Americans call baking soda)

Despite googling, I can't find what I'm looking for. I got a few pineapple upside down cake recipes though. It seems I need to reduce the temp and cooking time because smaller cooking containers expose the cake to more heat from the sides and hold the heat longer.

Also Any other ramekin recipes aswell as the jam one would come in handy. I've already made some chicken pot pies.

Thanks

Are you able to get spice/condiment size bottle (5oz 140gram) of cream of tartar ?

If you can find some, mix one part cream of tarter, one part baking soda, and one part corn starch (or corn flour). This will make double acting baking powder.

The cream of tarter reacts to heat while the baking soda to acids in the food.
A lot of bakers prefer making their baking powder fresh each time as a can of the stuff does tend to lose it's potency. In the past when I purchased baking powder, I would write the date on plastic sealing lid of the can with an ink marker. After four months I pitch it out and purchase new.(no matter how much was left) The cream of tarter, baking soda, and corn starch will keep well in their original containers until ready for use.

Then when mixed you'll have a dependable baking powder.

Here is something you may consider trying. It is from the early American frontier days and considered by many to be a classic.

This recipe is for a cake but could be made in separate ramekins.

Kentucky Blackberry Jam Cake. (the Jam in this cake is mixed into the batter but you could put some jam into the bottom of the ramekin first and it should be good) This usually is iced or frosted with caramel icing if made as a cake.

1 cup butter
2 cup sugar
1 cup butter milk
1 cup black berry jam (or mixed fruit jam if that's what you have)
3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
3 large eggs
1 tsp each ground allspice, cinnamon, & cloves

and

1 tsp baking powder.

Set oven to 325 F/ 163 C

Mix butter and sugar together well

mix one egg in at a time until well blended

mix in buttermilk, jam, and baking soda until well blended

mix flour & spices well and slowly mix butter mixture into this

This should complete your batter.

As a cake 40 minutes of baking should be about right. But in ramekins with
extra jam in the bottom you'll have to experiment with your timing.

Flan

1 cup white sugar
3 eggs
1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1 (12 fluid ounce) can evaporated milk
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).Place the sugar into a 2 quart saucepan over medium-low heat. The sugar will melt and liquefy into a syrup. It will caramelize to a golden color.
The syrup is hot, and sticky. Carefully pour hot an even amount of the syrup into ramekins. Ttilt the ramekins to coat the bottoms, and half was up the sides. Set them aside.

Whisk together the remaining ingredients to a large bowl . Pour egg mixture into the ramekins. And cover with aluminum foil.

Bake in preheated oven 60 minutes. Remove the flan from you oven and let cool to room temperature. Let cool completely. When completely cooled, turn ramekins pside down on desert plates and serve.

Tamale pie
Ingredients:
Fresh corrn tortillas
1 lb. ground beef
1 medium onion, diced
15 0z (weight) tomato puree
2 diced jalapeno peppers, diced
1 tsp. ground cumin
1/4 tsp. Kosher salt
1 tsp. ground black pepper
2 tbs. freshly minced cilantro
8 oz. freshly shredded Monterey Jack, or extra sharp cheddar cheese

Heat a 2 quart saucepan over medium heat, with a tbs. of cooking oil. Brown the beef and onion in the saucepan. Add the peppers, tomato puree, cumin, salt, and pepper, and cilantro. Simmer for ten minutes.

Spoon enough sauce from the pan to coat the bottom of two ramekins. place a tortilla on top. ass the meat and fulling mixture on top of the tortilla to make a thin layer. Sprinkle on a layer of cheese. Cover with more sauce. Pla another tortilla on top and repeat. The final top should be a tortilla covered with sauce and cheese. Bake for twenty minutes in a 350' F. oven. Serve in the ramekins. Let them cool just a bit first.

I hope these recopies are useful to you. For inspiration, I offer these:
Banana creme pie
Creme' Brule'
Bread pudding
Baked apple with brown sugar, butter, vanilla glaze (butterscotch)
Tapioca pudding
Fruit crisps (apple, cherry, peach, etc.)
Coblers
Creamed Corn
Mini chicken and dumplings
Spaghetti Pie
Souffle
Nachos
Yorkshire pudding
Mini key-lime tarts
cheesecake

For deserts, I would shy away from a standard pastry crust, except for the top crust. I would instead use graham cracker crusts. Anything you can make in a pie, or cake pan, you can make in ramekins, just smaller. Hope this helps.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Here is something you may consider trying. It is from the early American frontier days and considered by many to be a classic.

This recipe is for a cake but could be made in separate ramekins.

Kentucky Blackberry Jam Cake. (the Jam in this cake is mixed into the batter but you could put some jam into the bottom of the ramekin first and it should be good) This usually is iced or frosted with caramel icing if made as a cake.

1 cup butter
2 cup sugar
1 cup butter milk
1 cup black berry jam (or mixed fruit jam if that's what you have)
3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
3 large eggs
1 tsp each ground allspice, cinnamon, & cloves

and

1 tsp baking powder.

Set oven to 325 F/ 163 C

Mix butter and sugar together well

mix one egg in at a time until well blended

mix in buttermilk, jam, and baking soda until well blended

mix flour & spices well and slowly mix butter mixture into this

This should complete your batter .

As a cake 40 minutes of baking should be about right. But in ramekins with
extra jam in the bottom you'll have to experiment with your timing.

Sounds good. I'll definitely try this.
My selection is limited with this forced quarantine. But I'll see what I can get

Try googling "Mug Cake Recipes".

Also, take a look at muffin or cupcake recipes for ideas. A small batch of muffins/cupcakes can be stored in the freezer and thawed individually. Break a muffin/cupcake into a nice glass and top it with a boiled custard sauce, cornstarch-based sauce, ice cream, etc...

Fruit crisps might be another option. Cut down on the amount of topping ingredients or make a full recipe and store it in the freezer. When you are ready to make dessert put the prepared fruit in a ramekin and top it with a few tablespoons of the topping mixture.

For the main dish, stews can be frozen in individual servings and thawed as needed. Top them with biscuit dough or a round of pastry cut to fit the ramekin. The pastry rounds can also be made ahead and frozen.

Here is a simple buttermilk biscuit recipe for two that does not require baking powder. If you don't have access to buttermilk add 1 1/2 teaspoons of vinegar or lemon juice to a half-cup measure and fill it with fresh milk.

https://www.callmepmc.com/3-ingredient-biscuits-for-two/

Good luck!

Last edited:
Chocolate Lava Cake

Ingredients:
butter as needed
2 egg yolks
2 eggs
3 Tbs white sugar
3½oz chopped dark chocolate
5 Tbs butter
4 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
3 Tbs flour
1 pinch salt
¼ tsp vanilla extract
¼ tsp Creme de Cacao extract

Instructions:

Preheat the oven to 425°F. Generously butter four 5½ oz ramekins.
Whisk the egg yolks, eggs, and sugar together in a bowl until light, foamy, and lemon colored.

Melt the chocolate and butter in a microwave-safe bowl in 30-second intervals, stirring after each melting. Whisk the melted chocolate mixture into the egg and sugar mixture until combined.

Sift the cocoa powder, flour and salt into the mixture and stir until combined.

Add the Creme de Cacao and vanilla extracts into the batter.

Transfer the batter to a piping bag or a re-sealable plastic bag with one corner of the bag snipped with scissors to create a tip. Distribute the batter evenly into the four ramekins and tap them gently on the counter to remove any air bubbles. Refrigerate the four ramekins for 30 minutes.

Arrange the ramekins in a casserole dish and pour enough hot tap water into the casserole dish to reach halfway up the sides of the ramekins. Bake for 15-18 minutes, then remove them from the oven and set them aside to cool for 15 minutes. Loosen the edges with a knife, invert each cake onto a plate, and dust them with powdered sugar.

Back
Top Bottom