Dinner, Sunday, Nov. 20th.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buckytom

Chef Extraordinaire
it's almost midnight on the left coast and 8am across the pond, so it's time to start planning sunday's eats.

i made the veal and peppers yesterday, but since we ate out, i'm guessing we'll have it tonight with pasta.

i'm also planning on making split pea soup with the leftover defrosted country ham from a few weeks ago. this way if no one wants the veal, they can have soup.

what are you cooking and/or eating on this sunday before thanksgiving? are you ready for thursday? cleaning out the fridge to make room for what's to come?

Can't say I was really looking forward to this Sunday's personal pigskin challenge. My team is playing Jacksonville and Jacksonville isn't really "known" for any type of food... maybe spiny lobsters, maybe slaw dogs... and maybe gator.
Now, many years ago I did stop at a roadside diner outside of Jacksonville and had hush puppies and fried gator, so that's what I'm going with for dinner; breaded, deep fried alligator meat and hush puppies. I'm also going to grill some gator kabobs.

i was wondering why you asked about the foods of jacksonville recently. is your pigskin challenge a personal thing, or are you in it with friends or coworkers or something? pretty cool idea, nonetheless.

where in the world did you get alligator? we looked for it recently when we went to a nj devils game. one of the stadium vendors has it, supposedly, but we never found them.

i would love to make some at home since we love to watch "swamp people" on the history channel. ever watch it?

it cracked me up the other day when we were playing a duck hunt game on the wii and my son said in full accent, "shooooot liz, shoot!!!!"

Just my lonesome, BT.
Frank mentioned it here before football season started and I thought it would be fun. So I created Pacanis' Personal Pigskin Challenge. Personal, because I'm the only one doing it :rolleyes:. Go back through the Sunday dinner threads and you'll find something from the city (or state) of each of my my Brown's opponents that week. I've come across some very good food.

I got the gator from a friend in Joisey who works for the sewer dept...
:ROFLMAO:
Louisiana Crawfish Co. The same place I got my mudbugs last summer.

I've seen the show, but I don't follow it.
That's pretty funny about your son.

Veg chilli for us.

2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 red chillies, finely chopped
Cooking spray
2tsp ground cumin
250g chestnut mushrooms, quartered
400g tin of chopped tomatoes
400g tin of kidney beans
150g green beans , cut into lengths
Half-fat crème fraîche, to serve (optional)

Fry the garlic and chilli with cooking spray for 2 minutes.
Add the cumin and mushrooms and cook for 3 minutes.
Add the tomatoes, kidney beans and 200ml water, stir and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the green beans and cook for another 5 minutes until the sauce is thickened and veg is tender.
Serve in bowls with a dollop of crème fraîche (optional) and some crusty bread.

Simple, warming, and yummy :)

Pot roasted beef shanks today.

Bucky,

You are right about cleaning out the fridge but, more than that it is a tradition in our family to eat "scrappy" on the days leading up to a holiday so the big meal has more of a WOW factor. I think it had a lot to do with diverting the regular grocery budget into the holiday preparations. We still laugh about our parents "starving" us for days before any holiday.

Sunday Dinner - Vitello alla pizzaiola, garlic mashed potatoes, green beans sauted with bell pepper, Boudin sourdough bread and butter, and a 2009 Sangiovese Di Majo Norante. I am seriously considering a banana split for dessert. I have all the ingredients except a maraschino cherry!

If my roast finishes thawing in time we will have roast beast (standing rib), potatoes (can't decide how to do those yet), yellow wax beans from the garden (last of this years batch!), and likely a caesar salad. I'm not sure how late the Western Final will last, so dinner will be a bit flexible.

Sunday Dinner - Vitello alla pizzaiola, garlic mashed potatoes, green beans sauted with bell pepper, Boudin sourdough bread and butter, and a 2009 Sangiovese Di Majo Norante. I am seriously considering a banana split for dessert. I have all the ingredients except a maraschino cherry!

Sounds good. I haven't had a good veal dish in some time.

We are having a rosemary roasted pork loin roast, with roasted sweet potatoes and butternut squash, and sautéd garlic spinach.

We are having a medium rare mustard encrusted top sirloin roast, Yorkshire pudding, Laura Calder's accordion potatoes, green beans with almonds. Yummy!

a fried pork loin chop. last time i bought groceries, i bought a pork loin. cut into chops. baked sweet potato, lima bean salad. not sure if i will bake something for dessert but have coffee ice cream just in case i don't.

Welcome to DC, Ranchwifeg!

Have a hankering for tuna salad, after much smoked turkey gorging. Not sure what else.

+ 1 Welcome to DC, Ranchwifeg ! It's just a couple weeks ago I received similiar and I am happy to pass this same warm greeting to you !!

Boeuf Bourguignon is something Jr wants to make for us the next time he is home for a visit. I expect this must be a dish he recent discovered, because he's talked about it several times.

As for me, I am making something Mexican. Burritos today, who knows what it will turn into over the next several days. I am incorporating a few tablespoons of leftover Mac and cheese in my first one. Hey!! It's cheesy, so that works. Salsa, beans, spiced burger. More cheese. Fresh guacamole and some sour cream on the side.

Fred

Week 11 of Pacanis' Personal Pigskin Challenge... Alligator! The state food of FLA. Really? Beats me, but I cooked it anyway because Jacksonville isn't known for nothin' :LOL:

I've had it once, at a roadside diner outside of Jacksonville, along with a bunch of other fried stuff. I was not impressed. I remember it being tough and chewy. Silly me. I am in awe of the vittles I ate tonight that came from the swamp... swamp... swamp... swamp... ;)

So from the left to right, starting with the dark balls, I had alligator boudin balls, breaded and fried alligator, hush puppies (they need work, it was my first time), and an alligator kabob at the bottom there (I made three, ate two, more on that later) and some fries in the center, just because.

Let me just say the boudin balls were incredible. I thought they were overdone because of the color, not so. What a texture :yum:
And the nuggets that came already breaded... outstanding. Very tender and perfectly seasoned.
And the kabob... :angel:
As I was finishing things up my neighbor got home from hunting. His buddy had gotten a six point and he was also with him. So I said, Here, try this. And they did. A few bites were taken, the skewer passed back and forth, and then... "What is this? It's really good. Is this cajun?" Uhh, yeah, says I, it's alligator.
:ROFLMAO:

Well of course the one guy made a face, in spite of earlier saying how good it tasted, but my buddy finished it off. He said someone was recently telling him how good alligator was. He was as impressed as I was.

The fillet of alligator kabobs were absolutely outstanding. I can't describe it. It was so tender and didn't really resemble anything I've ever eaten. I soaked it overnight in milk, cut it up, skewered it and brushed it with vegetable oil and creole seasoning, then grilled it for a bit. I cannot wait to eat the other half of fillet still in the freezer, along with the other stuff from the sampler pack again. I will order this all over again.

And Cleveland even beat Jacksonville! Go team.

Attachments

• PPPC week 11 Jacksonville - Gator!.jpg
    PPPC week 11 Jacksonville - Gator!.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 147
Thanks Andy. The next time my plate is going to be filled with those kabobs. They come highly recommended.

Back
Top Bottom