Monday in the Kitchen 11/30

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luckytrim

Chef Extraordinaire
Hobo Surf & Turf.... "Dirty" Noodles with Salt & Pepper Shrimp....

Noodles, dirty.jpg

I tried a new pot roast recipe too. 'Apple Cider Pork Pot Roast' from Epicurious.com. A piece of pork butt braised with onion, apple, apple cider and thyme. It was MEH.

9648E337-CCCF-4B0D-8059-21E76CF42C26_1_105_c.jpg

Last edited:
It's a shame about your "meh" recipe, Andy.

While we got home from our trip on Sunday, tonight's supper was the first worth mentioning. The last time I made picadillo, I froze half of the batch. Defrosted it in the fridge overnight, warmed it and served over fresh rice tonight. Dang that is good! I'm so glad Kayelle shared the recipe years ago. I wish she'd come back for more food chat...

IMG_20211130_202143319_HDR.jpg

Trying a new pot roast recipe, Pot Roast Caribe. To be served over wide noodles. I suspect it will look a lot like luckytrim's photo!

I miss Kayelle too.

My pot roast was delicious but I messed up cooking it. I simmered it in a Dutch oven on the stove top and it did not get tender. Next time I will cook it in a slow cooker. I had all the ingredients listed so it was easy to make.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/100728/pot-roast-caribe/

Is it Monday or the 30th? Had me doubting my memory, until I checked my phone. :LOL:

I was going to use that turkey and broth, but instead, I put the quart of it in my freezer yesterday (I was tired of turkey already), and today I made another batch of that dhansak, that I used up some old veggies in, like I did the other time. And it went quickly, since I still had some of that dhansak masala that first batch made enough for about 3 batches.

This time I made it differently, starting with barley, as the grain, and started with that in the Instant Pot, since it takes longer than the rest of the ingredients - pressure cooked 12 minutes in salted water, with turmeric, then released naturally, while prepping other things. Then added 1/3 c each channa, toor, and urad dals, plus my last two sweet potatoes, peeled and diced, 2 more cups water, and 2 tsp dhansak masala, and PC'd 6 minutes, releasing naturally.
The barley, 3 dals, and diced sweet potatoes, cooked for the dhansak, before adding the sauce. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

While doing this, I prepared the sauce, using some green tomatoes, in place of the tamarind, for the tartness, and the rest of the barely ripened tomatoes, adding a tb of paste, to make up for the light red tomatoes. I started in reverse with the ingredients for the tarka first, adding the onions and ginger, to cook a few minutes, followed by some garlic and the tomato paste, then the blended up tomatoes, plus 4 more tsp masala, and the last bottle gourd of the season, peeled and diced - about 2½ c. I cooked this down, until fairly thick, and the barley/dal mix was finished. I mixed the two, corrected the seasonings (the green tomatoes did the sour well!), and simmered a few minutes, before adding the cilantro. I also put some of those rye croutons on - goes well in these dishes.
Sauce and tarka, cooked with the last bottle gourd of the season, for the dhansak. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Dhansak, after combining the two parts, and simmering briefly. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Finished dhansak, with some dried rye bread cubes, and cilantro, for garnishing. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

We ordered from La Porte Grecque, our favourite Greek resto. I had lamb chops. Stirling had a chicken brochette. Both came with rice pilaf, roasted potatoes, garlic bread, and salad. We also ordered some dolmadakia. Yes, we eat out of the aluminium plates they deliver it in. It's one of the perqs of ordering out - usually, no plates to wash.

2021-11-30 Lamb chops, roast potatoes, rice pilaf, and garlic bread from La Porte Grecque.jpg

Attachments

• 2021-11-Lamb chops for me and chicken brochette for Stirling, both with roast potatoes, rice pil.jpg
    2021-11-Lamb chops for me and chicken brochette for Stirling, both with roast potatoes, rice pil.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 32
Back
Top Bottom