What's cookin Wed. Feb 4 '15

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'll be cracking some stone crab claws for dinner which will go with some homemade mustard sauce. Haven't decided what will go with them.

I made minestrone (using a ham hock, leeks, red lentils, carrots, french beans, spaghetti pieces, potatoes, tomatoes, bayleaf, chicken stock and chilli). Tasty! (Haven't learnt to adjust date on camera yet).

img_1408767_1_8d18f3dab539ef41037d9c9fe11f6ad9.jpg
img_1408767_1_8d18f3dab539ef41037d9c9fe11f6ad9.jpg

Last edited:
I bought some ENORMOUS shrimp at the store today. They are about 3 ounces each, so one or two is enough for each of us for dinner.

Now I just need to decide how I'm going to cook these monsters. I'm thinking it will be a fairly simple preparation - maybe just a quick saute with some fresh herbs.

Nice pic, creative! I love minestrone and should make it before it gets too hot here to enjoy it.

Kay...yes, that was a big tri tip, almost 3 lbs. Pot pie is a good idea for leftovers, if I could just make a smallish one. Gosh, cooking for one and still trying to keep in mind the leftovers for a great cut of meat isn't easy. I should have cut it in half and frozen the other half when I bought it, but I didn't.

Steve...holy cow, 5 shrimp/lb are some hefty shrimp. Looking forward to hearing how you made them, and seeing pics of your dinner. ;) :)

Cheryl, there's no reason why you couldn't freeze some of that cooked tri tip and come back to it later for an easy dinner.

I'll probably have leftover fried chicken from lunch with a pudding cup. Still eating mostly soft foods.

Pot roast with roasted carrots, mashed potatoes and homemade biscuits. Vanilla butter cake for dessert with chocolate frosting.

It's a comfort food kind of day!

My daughter sent me a large bowl of American Chop Suey. I will share it with The Pirate when he shows up tonight. :angel:

I made Sailor's Stew (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f57/iso-norwegian-sailor-stew-recipe-77007-2.html#post1176951). Whiskadoodle, I tweaked it some more--I added juniper berries to the stock when I was making it, as well as anchovies and capers. I added roasted garlic as well. It was soooo darned good...I actually had three bowls for breakfast and another around 5...I put pea pods in (at the end) and some other veggies while it was cooking. I figured out a way to get the cooking time down to 55 minutes without using a pressure cooker and without sacrificing the tenderness of the meat. Oh, and Whiska, I made it with lamb (because I pulled lamb out of the freezer instead of beef). It was soooo good.

We are working on a pinto bean and ham soup with just the right amount of green chile (for me). It only required a small bowl of yogurt afterwards;). Cornbread too.

I made Sailor's Stew (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f57/iso-norwegian-sailor-stew-recipe-77007-2.html#post1176951). Whiskadoodle, I tweaked it some more--I added juniper berries to the stock when I was making it, as well as anchovies and capers. I added roasted garlic as well. It was soooo darned good...I actually had three bowls for breakfast and another around 5...I put pea pods in (at the end) and some other veggies while it was cooking. I figured out a way to get the cooking time down to 55 minutes without using a pressure cooker and without sacrificing the tenderness of the meat. Oh, and Whiska, I made it with lamb (because I pulled lamb out of the freezer instead of beef). It was soooo good.

CWS,, I saw the other day you were planning making Sailor Stew. That was some mighty-fine tasting with the wooden spoon while it simmered the one time I made this. And, spoon over the back fence-- I think I licked the bowls clean too. It looks like you tweaked it a bit too. I like your idea of using lamb instead of beef. Gotta append the recipe in my recipes files. I'm still pleased your perseverance researching the original recipe. :yum::yum:

"The Cook" went on strike tonight, so we kinda slummed it in the supper department. Himself and I split a can of Progresso soup, and I griddled up a couple of ham and cheese sammies on sourdough. I bought a slicing tomato for the sandwich and was more than mildly surprised to find out that it smelled and tasted like a tomato! Very nice treat in February. :yum:

Come to think of it, had I actually made a real dinner instead of going down the basement for the Griddler, I might not have wrecked up my toe. :ermm:

Back
Top Bottom