Favorite Food Getaway?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My favorite foodie place is France. Everywhere I go in that country I encounter friendly people and their delicious cuisine. For those of you who haven't been, thick, rich sauces are pretty much a thing of the past, unless you get blindsided into some icky touristy restaurant. As long as you keep your ears pealed for French-speaking folks, you can be pretty sure you are going to love the food.

And it is SO varied. From the hearty sausages, onions and lake fish of Lyon to the olive oil, tomatoes, garlic and fish of Provence, and the duck fat, beans and foie gras of Gascony, there is just no way to categorize "French" food! :pig::chef::pig::LOL::chef::pig::chef:

I've had great meals in NYC, San Francisco, London, Baltimore, Wash DC, Birmingham, Wilmington, Alexandria, Rehoboth, Hyde Park, St Louis, Denver, etc, but when I want to chow down on great food, I got it right at home in season, fresh from the farm across the street...really incredible.

I've had great meals in NYC, San Francisco, London, Baltimore, Wash DC, Birmingham, Wilmington, Alexandria, Rehoboth, Hyde Park, St Louis, Denver, etc, but when I want to chow down on great food, I got it right at home in season, fresh from the farm across the street...really incredible.

Brilliant, Robo!!! One of the places Buck and I most enjoy is our own kitchen, especially when we cook together. We've spent so many hours preparing memorable family meals and intimate meals for each other that our warm kitchen would be our favorite food getaway. Thanks for such great insight.

Miami, FL (Cuban food and non-alcoholic fruit drinks ... nothing wrong with the alcoholic versions - but I like the "unleaded" versions before 5-6 pm), San Antonio or El Paso, TX (Mexican), New Braunfels, TX (German and BBQ), Santa Fe, NM (real Southwestern - not the Bobby Flay stuff), Denven, CO (northern style southwestern and game meats - especially bison) New Orleans, LA (Cajun and Creole), and Boston, MA (Italian, Greek, Jewish, New England) - and I can't forget Memphis, TN (BBQ and Blues down on Beal Street). Those are the places I've been ... I've also been to Los Angeles and San Francisco ... but wasn't that impressed - the food was good, but just didn't impress me. Oh, yeah - Mexico City and Juarez ... definately not Tex-Mex!

I would love to go to Seattle, WA for a couple of weeks - for the fresh Pacific seafood experience - and spend about a month or three in New York City so I could visit all of the ethnic communities (Christmas time would be a bonus). I would like to spend a week in the Amish communities in PA, a week eating steaks in Omaha, NE, and another week in Chicago, IL to go back to the Greek and Italian communities I used to go to when I was in school there.

I'm originally from baltimore, maryland.
When you were there where and what did you eat?
My guess is that you had crab cakes because that's what maryland is known for.

Our food get away is to The Inn at Little Washington. We save up and go every other year or so. We have stayed at the inn and at a B&B down the block. We even sprang for the chefs table twice.

We love to go up to Ogunquit Maine when we want to vacation and eat. There are so many excellent places to eat in and around that town.

We actually plan our vacations around food though so anywhere we go is bound to have great grub.

On our honeymoon in Jamaica we planned each day around meals. We would wake up in time to get to the breakfast we wanted. We would go on trips that would bring us to cool places to eat. We would do activities that allowed us maximum time to chow down. I swear I gained 20 lbs on that trip.

I'd say France, the entire country, Belgium: Antwerp, Ghent and Brugge, Salzburg, Barcelona, Chicago, New York, Brazil: Salvador or Rio in Brazil, Argentina: Buenos Aires, el Calafate, Venice, Rome and the list goes on... one stomach, too many places, too little time.

Two of my favorite places to eat are in the Fl Keys....Parrotdise on Little Torch Key and The Rusty Anchor on Stock Island (Key West).

Fl Keys Road Trip

Not into steak houses, as I can do better at home, but I'm a glutton for fresh and decent seafood. I tend to frequent little mom & pops before I go to a chain restaurant, especially if the food is Cuban or Chinese.

My favorite place is definitely Buenos Aires! Bife de lomo and choripan's are my favorite. Instead of dunkin donuts, you have empanada stores! The malbec wine is great and there's still a 3:1 exchange rate from the us$ to the peso$. If you ever go and want an insiders tip on where to eat and what to do, drop me a line.

-Foodguy

San Francisco is, by far, the best city in North America for dining out. You can find any type of cuisine, in any form, and in any setting, from linoleum cafe, to casual, to a 4 or 5 star dress up in your Sunday-Go-To-Meeting clothes place. When I go, I plan my restaurant visits ahead of time, like I would a trip to Alcatraz or a visit to the Point Bonita Lighthouse.

i too love the food in san francisco, have never had a bad meal there as long as i stay out of the cookie-cutter ones. love to find an out of the way and unique one.babe

I guess you can tell I love France, considering I've been there 7 times in the past 16 years, and will be going again (dollar be da*ned! :rolleyes:) in October...

but there are many places I like to go play with food.

Windsor Colorado is a place where I've participated in three culinary fundraiser dinners with fellow chefs to raise money for culinary scholarships. We have SO much fun when we get together to do that! Am hoping to get there this summer, again... if the air fare isn't TOO expensive!

foodguy,
I hear you, was born there and love all of that plus dulce de leche, sandwiches de miga, facturas con mate, parrillada and locro.

France and Belgium (any part) are also great for the variety and great hability of locals to turn simple ingredients into glorius dishes.

oddly enough I have to say TEXAS

Texas is where I spent my formative foodie years as a student cooking and eating out and sharing with friends.... The cities have great ethnic diversity and the country had great BBQ and Southern food. I cannot possibly fit in all the meals I want to have when I go there.... between the bbq briscut, vietnamese sandwiches, chicken n' waffles, mole enchiladas, chicken fried steak, plus all the great other eats Texas loves to eat out and has soo much great food! Also it tends to be pretty affordable to eat out there. As a rule of thumb the Italian food there leaves something to be desired for that I go to DaBronx

Boston

Mistral in Boston is an awesome restaurant, well worth a trip if you're in the New England area. It's a modern version of Provencal cuisine, excellently presented and quite delicious. It's fancy, but not pretentious. Do make reservations though.

My food getaway is not very sophisticated, but it's home. My family is from georgia and one of the best things I love about it is the food...my family is full of southern cooks. The first thing I do when I get there is go to a place called Jimmy's Hot Dogs in Albany, GA....they have the BEST red hots I've ever eaten topped with chili and onion....I'm drooling just thinking about it....and then my granny gets in teh kitchen and cooks...one night is a fish fry where we eat fresh fish from the gulf of mexico with cheesey grits(that's a southern thang!) and hush puppies....Sunday is when she bakes the ham and makes biggest, greenest, freshest collard greens that I can't find in texas to save my life! To top it all off she always makes a caramel cake and a fresh apple cake....I have to go on a diet when i get home!!! LOL

San Francisco is, by far, the best city in North America for dining out. You can find any type of cuisine, in any form, and in any setting, from linoleum cafe, to casual, to a 4 or 5 star dress up in your Sunday-Go-To-Meeting clothes place. When I go, I plan my restaurant visits ahead of time, like I would a trip to Alcatraz or a visit to the Point Bonita Lighthouse.

i agree with you. my favorite place to find great food. down by water on pier 54, i think. best italian, aleitoes sp? always try to eat a least one meal there. then the small places that u can find while exploring.

babe:ermm::ermm:opps posted twice in this thread.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom