Help me I need ideas for my family Xmas meal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
GotGarlic: I used to "teach" Swedish cookery and Swedish language over the net 15- 20 years ago. And I guess because of the crowd there, many didnt like to separated in to a system of race which is false and so if they could they wrote human and Jiggy always wrote Marsian. It was constant whining about this. What box to tick if you mum is black woman from Glasgow and your father is half Inuit and half native born Irish?

Oddly enough as Swede I know all your Presidents up 1992, because it was part of my schooling and also the names of your states and capital.

But we are talking about lovely glorious food!

Like sprouts with bacon and chestnut, like oven roasted parsnip mash or salted celeriac root with honey butter or cranberry relish or jellied beetroot salad ... yum...

And Rutabagas! which oddly are called Swedes in some places. A very sweet vegetable both in looks and flavor. Lighter orange than carrots. Peel and cube and cook til soft/ done. Serve cubes in a bowl with butter or Mash like potatoes or thin slice and serve raw on a veggie platter. I put some in my vegetable soup this week.

Last edited:
Cool. In the 1990s, I helped develop a report on community characteristics and needs from census data, and in the 2000s, I worked with the League of Women Voters to study census results with the goal of influencing Congressional redistricting. Our census program provides for a variety of responses. Maybe not every possible permutation, but that doesn't make it unreliable.

It's great that you've learned some American history, but I don't think your friends are representative of the population of 320 million people here.

Last edited:
GotGarlic: I never said it was unreliable, I said that some put humans.

Whiskadoodle; yes Swedish turnip or rutabagas or neep. The word rutabagas comes from an old dialectal word, which means root stump, however we in Sweden call it cabbage root ( kålrot) and I love it in mash made with carrots and pork broth.

And Rutabagas! which oddly are called Swedes in some places. A very sweet vegetable both in looks and flavor. Lighter orange than carrots. Peel and cube and cook til soft/ done. Serve cubes in a bowl with butter or Mash like potatoes or thin slice and serve raw on a veggie platter. I put some in my vegetable soup this week.

Love rutabegas! A bit of sugar, a lot of butter. Boil and mash. They were a staple when my grandma made T'day dinner.

Roasted parsnip mash is my favorite with pork roast. Yum. Just roast the clean parsnips, then mash and add butter and salt. *drool*

GotGarlic: I never said it was unreliable, I said that some put humans.

You certainly implied it. I quoted some statistics and you said "unless people do X." That's an implication that the stats might not be reliable because people don't fill out the form correctly.

Speaking of macaroni and cheese for holiday meals (which was discussed a little up thread....) I was being lazy this morning and watching Food Network. I was surprised to see two programs in a row featuring a macaroni and cheese dish as a Thanksgiving side. One show was "The Kitchen" - I don't remember the other one.

I wouldn't plan on serving it for a Thanksgiving or Christmas side but I suppose if someone particularly wanted it and asked for it, I wouldn't have a problem with it. I'd just make a small batch and send them home with any leftovers. :)

Last edited:
Speaking of macaroni and cheese for holiday meals (which was discussed a little up thread....) I was being lazy this morning and watching Food Network. I was surprised to see two programs in a row featuring a macaroni and cheese dish as a Thanksgiving side. One show was "The Kitchen" - I don't remember the other one.

I wouldn't plan on serving it for a Thanksgiving or Christmas side but I suppose if someone particularly wanted it and asked for it, I wouldn't have a problem with it. I'd just make a small batch and send them home with any leftovers. :)

Canadian Kraft Dinner (for some reason, it's much better than we get here) and Mexican lobster mac and cheese at one of our fave restos in Mexico are two mac and cheese sides I would eat. Just not at Thanksgiving. Already on carb overload.

Canadian Kraft Dinner (for some reason, it's much better than we get here) and Mexican lobster mac and cheese at one of our fave restos in Mexico are two mac and cheese sides I would eat. Just not at Thanksgiving. Already on carb overload.

Seriously.

Not only that - this morning on The Kitchen, Valerie Bertinelli thought it was a great idea to set aside a cup of bread stuffing to top the mac and cheese. :blink:

Back
Top Bottom