A Real Martini?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gin.
Tanqueray.
Nothing like it, what!

Harrumphhh!!

Hey - what ever takes your fancy. I haven't drunk a Martini in about 25 years...:( :LOL: :LOL:

Gin preferable. Beefeater or Tanqueray with a whisper of vermouth and the right amount of ice--shaken. And I have had many other gins--these are the "go-to" guys.
Cinzano vermouth will be fine--and you could get him one of the little airline bottles!
We LOVE martinis--and the new rage of apple, etc. are not martinis. They are gin or vodka drinks. ;o)
DS likes Belvedere vodka. IF I was drinking a vodka martini it would be Ketel One or Citadelle (a French vodka).
I do have to say that one "specialty" martini that I will have is the Hendrick's cucumber lime martini at Elway's in Denver. But it goes down 'way too quick and smooth!!!

I have expiermented with both vodka and gin, and I will take gin any day of the week. And, a martini sould stirred, not shaken, the way Bond has led many of us to believe.

Alton Brown from Foodnetwork, had an entire episode on bar drinks, and man did I learn a thing or two. And my favorite Martini is a Dirty Martini, but you had better like olives and salty drinks before diving into this one.

Sapphire for me.

I pour a small amount of vermouth in my shaker and shake it wil the ice. Then I throw away the vermouth. I add the gin and shake, then pour.

I like them dirty, but then I'll use a cheaper gin if I have it on hand.

Question - what is a dry martini? Does that mean there is no vermouth? I don't care for vermouth so if I ordered a dry martini would it be without the vermouth?

MM, in a dry martini they just put the glass in the vicinity of the vermouth bottle. A little vapor might waft its ways toward your glass, but that's it.

MM, I am certainly no expert (desserts, presentation, etc.), but I believe that people who ask for a dry 'tini might as well just admit they want a glassful of gin or vodka in a smaller glass!

For me gin all the way. Big queen size olives and very dry (no vermouth). I have tried and enjoyed many gins but my favorite is Tanquerey Malacca it is a little smoother.

Always remeber though, Martinis are like women's uhhhh arms, one's not enough and 3's too many.

JDP

The best martini is made using Bombay Saphire with the following recipe

• remove Gin from freezer
  • pour Gin into glass
  • Drink Gin

An old roommate of mine who was a nuclear physicist told me about the Albuquerque dry martini. Back in the days of nuclear testing, one of the setup crew members put one drop of vermouth on the nuclear bomb that was to be exploded. After the test anybody within a 100 mile radius could make a proper dry martini by just waving the glass out the window for a few seconds before pouring in the chilled gin. If you held the glass out the window for too long you risked messing up the proper proportion of vermouth to gin.:LOL:

JDP said:
For me gin all the way. Big queen size olives and very dry (no vermouth). I have tried and enjoyed many gins but my favorite is Tanquerey Malacca it is a little smoother.

Oh how we love that Gin - but haven't seen it in a couple of years! :ohmy: Where do you find it?????

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom