What do you use truffle salt on?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have yet to experience the heady joy of truffles.

A couple of years ago, I got a couple of whole black truffles in oil (from a very reputable company and sold by a very reputable outlet) which cost a fortune. Sadly the taste was negligible. They didn't taste bad - they literally didn't taste of anything at all. Having read about the Chinese truffles, I wonder now if one or both companies were duped. :ermm: In which case, so was I.

I'm still curious to taste a fresh one though.

We had a family gathering tonight where I served my Truffled Cassoulet Pie. Soaked some dried white beans for 24 hours. Browned some beef cheeks, root vegetables and herbs and then slow-cooked the beef cheeks to make a beef stock. Then kept the beef cheeks separately and used the beef stock to cook the soaked white beans in the pressure cooker. Then stirred roasted garlic puree and truffle butter through the white bean stew. Then roasted some duck breasts and fried some herb and garlic sausages. Also grilled some mushrooms, sprinkled with herbs. Then chopped the beef cheeks, the duck breasts, the sausages and the mushrooms into bite-sized pieces and mixed everything together with the white bean stew in an oven-proof deep pie dish. Then sliced some fresh truffles and added them onto the top of the pie. Then made some truffled herb shortcrust pastry (by rubbing truffle butter and herbs with some flour) and placed a layer on top of the pie to bake until the crust is golden brown and crispy. Then broke the crust into pieces and and stirred the crusty pieces into the stew. Then placed a new layer of truffled herb shortcrust pastry on top of the pie and baked again until golden brown to serve.

I recently bought some truffle salt and haven't had the occasion to use it yet. Some time back I got some truffle oil and used it a few times in salad dressings. (You do not cook with truffle oil!)

Back
Top Bottom