Wine Pairing with Shrimp Scampi

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msmith0213

Assistant Cook
Hi, I am new to this site and am hoping someone can help me find a good wine to be served with Shrimp Scampi. Bringing a bottle to a friend's house tonight and he suggested that I might want to bring a red since the shrimp is "very garlic-y."

I could only find one wine pairing with shrimp scampi online and that recommended Sauvignon Blanc.

So, I'm wondering - shoudl I do white or should I do red? And if it's red - what kind?
Thoughts from any of you would be appreciated! Thanks. :chef:

i'd get a sparkling white, or a german sweet white, and to keep red heads happy, a pinot noir.

(i am far from an expert, so that's just my taste. looking forward to expert recommendations here.)

i.c., verablue, chefjune, where are you?

Last edited:
Shrimps are generally too delicate for a red wine. Sauvignon is Ok, but also a Vermentino. You can use a very light red, or pinky wine if you have shrimps with some sort of tomato sauce. Or even for shrimps in sweet sauces.
But, for grilled or boiled shrimps....White, please.....;)
Boiled shrimps, rouille sauce, and....champagne? My God......Something worthy to kill for.....:LOL: :cool:

lol, i knew i liked you rdg.

many people say "to die for". to me, your family and your country are the only things "to die for".

but i'd kill for good food!

I'd go for a sauvignon blanc as well. For a red, a montepulciano may be a good idea. Tom's suggestion of a pinot noir is also a good one.

My favorite wine with any shrimp dish (regardless of garlic) not in a red sauce is Pinot Grigio. (Although I have to admit that I'm biased because that's my favorite white wine anyway - lol!)

Anyway, I find it light, crisp, yet still assertive enough to carry its own.

For me, shrimp and garlic equals something light to medium bodied and crisp with very little oak and tannis. That would usually equate to either a Pinot Gris/Grigio, Sauvignon Blanc, or Trebbiano. An interesting Italian wine that would go well with it would be a Gavi if you can find it. A young New World Pinot Noir or Sangiovese would work best for a red because of the medium to medium-plus acidity and the usually low oakiness and tannins.

I will go along with Ironchef's suggestions and consider Gavi as my top choice although I would prefer the nearly impossible to find Greek wine Kallisti from the vineyards of the island of Santorini.

I am a huge fan of sparkling wines and when I have pairing issues bubbly always pairs well :rolleyes:

BUT, I also like the sparkling with sauces like this because the bubbles and the acidity of a sparkling cut through the richness/garlicky components of the sauce quite nicely. Depending on what country it comes from it can fall under different names i.e.,

Champagne = France
Prosecco = Italy (prosecco being the name of the grape)
Cava = Spain
Spumante = Italy
sekt = Germany
sparkling = California

A rosé would pair nicely too (not to be confused with a white zinfandel)

Last edited:
Well I had nice post to add...but it did not go through....So I will give you the "Readers Digest Version"...bottom line...Now days...at my age...I drink what I like...period!!:LOL:

ooh, do i feel good.

i guessed "correctly" on the wines: the red with pinot noir as per i.c. and andy; and elfie and i are of the same mind when it comes to sparkling wines and certain sauces.

ms. mith :) , please tell us what you chose, and how it was received. thanks.

Sauv blanc has too much "grapefruit" flavor.
Chardonnay might be too oaky.

With shrimp.. I like a nice ice cold Reisling. Crisp, a little sweet, a nice pairing.

My Shrimp Scampi is really rich and garlicky, and I like to serve an Italian white wine with it... Either a Gavi (Principessa Gavi is a favorite, and reasonably priced) or a Lacryma Christi del Vesuvio from Campania. Fiano di Avellino is also a good match.

In addition to all of the above, here at Casa de Hoot, we are fond of the scuppernong wine made semi locally at Duplin Winery. It ain't sophisticated or fancy, but it's mighty good with nearly any food....a quality I admire greatly, being a simple man.

Back
Top Bottom