We dehydrated a lot of stuff this weekend

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GB

Chief Eating Officer
This weekend was a big dehydrating weekend for us. We started with apples and pears. Next we moved onto beef jerky. We have dried all of these before so that was nothing new. The last thing we did though was we made granola. We have never tried that before. That came out great. it was so much fun to make because the kids were able to help through the whole process (dump into a bowl and then mix). The end result was so delicious and it is relatively healthy taboot. I need to find some new and exciting things to dry next to keep the kids excited about it.

GB, I haven't done it for years, but, you lay plastic wrap over the mesh trays, food process fruit, spices (like cinnamon or others), sugar/honey, and pour onto plastic wrap in an even layer if you can. Dehydrate and then cut into strips, for fruit rollups!! They disappear so fast.

Oh yes, I forgot about those. Thanks Blissful. Yes we have made a whole variety of fruit roll ups. We have done strawberry, banana, various melons, and various combinations of multiple fruits. The kids absolutely loved them all.

Recently somewhere on the internet, I saw someone dried watermelon strips--and they said they dried into a taffy consistency-I haven't tried it yet, but it sounds good.

When tomatoes start turning ripe and I have no time for canning them all, I like them dehydrated. In fact we just used the last of last years dehydrated ones in a meaty vegetable rich goulash of sorts last week. They take up so little space and last so long. I've also dehydrated tomatoes then ground them in the food processor and used them to thicken soups/stews/tomato sauces, that worked well too.

Green beans can be dehydrated, but keep an eye on them lest they start to turn brown, some over dehydrated and aren't so nice looking anymore. I'll use them in soups and stews in the winter.

I will be drying garlic, later to be ground into a powder, they say dry it outside, it's very aromatic (same with onions).

I haven't dehydrated zucchini yet, but, I should try it so we have some green things for stews and soups in the winter. Zucchini is so bulky otherwise.

Have you tried hamburger rocks? I haven't yet. Though it seems like a good idea, mixed with dehydrated potatoes, carrots, onions--it would make a fast stew-add water and heat, add S&P. I don't know what ages the children are, but, say like an eagle scout, an emergency meal, easily carried, stored and made.

What about drying herbs and then storing them for use?
I'm out of ideas, let us know how it goes. :)

Do the kids like popcorn?

They can dry whole ears of corn. Twist the kernels off when they are ready and have a really cool supply of fresh popcorn on movie night..

Munky.

Back
Top Bottom