"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Sourdoughs
Click Here to Login

Old 07-27-2020, 12:15 AM   #1
Head Chef

Sourdough Rye

Anybody making sourdough, because they can't find yeast? Or was that just one of those "early in the pandemic" shortages?
I still have over 2 c of instant yeast, but I did this anyway.

Nothing like bread to smell the house up! Hard to believe that I baked again, in this heat! It's in my countertop oven, so it's not too bad, as far as heating up the kitchen.

More sourdough rye - using all sourdough starter for the rise. Wasn't sure how well it would rise, but it did better than I thought it would!

I just "refreshed" the firm starter I found in the fridge, behind a lot of stuff, and used some of the extra starter, before putting it away again. I put it in the FP, with rye flour and water, not quite firm, and left it overnight, and it more than doubled. I added the rest of the ingredients, besides the flour, then switched to the KA, and added the flour. It's almost 50% rye, 25% WW, and the rest bread flour, and 1/4 c gluten. Probably the gluten made it rise well.
Sour rye, rising fairly quickly by now. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Sour rye, risen 65 minutes, ready to bake. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Finished sour rye, risen better than expected. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Finished sour rye by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Old 07-27-2020, 11:00 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Funny your posting this, this morning I was up really early (4am) with not much to do. I decided to clean up my office since I haven't been in there since I finished my taxes. Anyway, I came across a bunch of recipes that I printed, including one for rye bread. I made it a few times, and it came out very good. I think Ill make it again later in the week.

***Your loaves look great !!!***
larry_stewart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 07:46 PM   #3
Cupcake

I love Rye bread and had been thinking of making some. I bought the flour. Your photos are inspiring!

~Kathleen

A little bit Ginger. A little bit Mary Ann.
Kathleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 10:15 PM   #4
Head Chef

I'm a rye bread lover, too, Kathleen. I had totally run out of rye flour (first time that happened that I can remember), back when this pandemic was a couple of months old, and I wasn't going to go to the place I got the dark rye flour from all the time, so I bought 35 lbs of rye berries online! Also did this with hard white WW berries. I had to dust off my grain mill, as I hadn't used it much, since I had that VitaMix.
Old 07-28-2020, 04:11 PM   #5
Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperhead212 View Post
I'm a rye bread lover, too, Kathleen. I had totally run out of rye flour (first time that happened that I can remember), back when this pandemic was a couple of months old, and I wasn't going to go to the place I got the dark rye flour from all the time, so I bought 35 lbs of rye berries online! Also did this with hard white WW berries. I had to dust off my grain mill, as I hadn't used it much, since I had that VitaMix.
That is very cool. I've never ground my own grain. How long did it take you to do it?

~Kathleen

Old 07-28-2020, 09:40 PM   #6
Head Chef

It's very easy and quick to use, Kathleen. Actually, cleanup is what takes longer. I used to grind several things at a time, so I only had to clean once. Now, for most of those grains and legumes, when I want small amounts of them I use my Vitamix. For the WW and rye, I'll use the grain mill. The Nutrimill Classic is the one I have - it has a capacity of about 5 lbs., and it grinds just over a lb. a minute. It is vertical, so to speak - my other main option when I got this was Wondermill, but that one has the hopper on the side, so it takes up more space. Here's a link giving a lot of info on them. Prices have gone up a lot since I got mine!
https://pleasanthillgrain.com/nutrimill
Old 07-28-2020, 11:28 PM   #7
Head Chef

Dave, Would you please share
your Rye bread recipes.
Your Loafs are beautiful .

Thanks
Josie
Old 07-29-2020, 10:07 AM   #8
Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josie1945 View Post
Dave, Would you please share
your Rye bread recipes.
Your Loafs are beautiful .

Thanks
Josie
Agreed!

~Kathleen

Old 07-30-2020, 12:59 AM   #9
Head Chef

Thanks Josie and Kathleen! I have posted 3 of my rye recipes (I think that's all?) on the yeast bread section of this sub-forum. Those are all yeast risen, though the Old Milwaukee Rye has a long pre-ferment, and I often use that method, even in those other recipes given here. This method I gave here, for this sourdough bread was something I just threw together, to use up that extra starter I had, though I did throw out the first excess starter (which had a very alcoholic aroma!), when I refreshed it the first time.Here are those first three recipes I posted. Any questions, I'll try to answer them.
Old Milwaukee Rye

Dark Potato Rye

Russian Black Bread
Old 07-30-2020, 01:06 PM   #10
Senior Cook

I would like to see a picture of your countertop oven. It's got to be quite large to be able to fit this bread.
bbqcoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 08:25 PM   #11
Head Chef

bbqcoder That oven is just over 20" long, 14½" high, and about 13" deep. It's not the best cookie baker (small sheet doesn't hold many), but I can bake up to three 2 lb loaves of bread at a time in it. I learned early on how well bread bakes in a convection oven (the reason I had to get a convection as one of the two ovens in my range, when I set up my kitchen), and it doesn't put out as much heat as my gas oven, either.
Farberware countertop convection oven, from 1977 by pepperhead212, on Flickr
Old 07-30-2020, 10:53 PM   #12
Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperhead212 View Post
Thanks Josie and Kathleen! I have posted 3 of my rye recipes (I think that's all?) on the yeast bread section of this sub-forum. Those are all yeast risen, though the Old Milwaukee Rye has a long pre-ferment, and I often use that method, even in those other recipes given here. This method I gave here, for this sourdough bread was something I just threw together, to use up that extra starter I had, though I did throw out the first excess starter (which had a very alcoholic aroma!), when I refreshed it the first time.Here are those first three recipes I posted. Any questions, I'll try to answer them.
Old Milwaukee Rye

Dark Potato Rye

Russian Black Bread

Thank you! I cannot wait to try one of them!

~Kathleen

Tags
dough, sourdough