Anyone make their own pizza?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a iron frying pan that may work good. Yes or no? But how do I keep the dough from sticking to pan

Take another look at my latter post. It uses a cast iron frying pan, and works in the oven just fine:).

Oh, and about BT's comments; He's a rascal. that's who he is (and is my little bro on DC, and a great friend. He is irreverent, and isn't making fun at other's expense, at least not intentionally. He gave me my online name, as I'm mostly Native American, live, and love the North, and admittedly can be a bit longwinded at times.

On the other hand, we can all be compassionate, and supportive. I try to be.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I have a iron frying pan that may work good. Yes or no? But how do I keep the dough from sticking to pan

That's my question too. Little Caesar's, which makes a decent, but not wonderful pizza here in Quebec, uses cast iron pans to make their pizzas.

I'm beginning to think that some people commenting on "spoon theory" didn't bother to find out what it is about. Here's the link to an explanation, again. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spoon_theory

I understand how frustrating it can be to not be physically able to do the things you want to do. Why do you rely on reference to "spoons" rather than just saying you didn't feel up to doing "whatever".

Here's a link to Lodge for their Cast Iron Skillet Pizza recipe: https://www.lodgecastiron.com/story/how-make-a-cast-iron-skillet-pizza

I looked for Little Ceasar's Skillet pizza info, but couldn't find anything other than info on how to make their Pretzel crust pizza. Personally, I have had LC's pizza since the 1980's when they brought it in at the company Employee Day luncheon. Let's just say I was less than impressed. Things may have changed, but, for the most part, I make my own pizza or go to MOD.

I understand how frustrating it can be to not be physically able to do the things you want to do. Why do you rely on reference to "spoons" rather than just saying you didn't feel up to doing "whatever".
Because the spoon theory as a metaphor describes what it's like to live with a disability. It's more than just not being able to do things you want to do - it's an entire lifestyle that becomes mentally exhausting and the spoon theory can help people understand that. I found it more than ten years ago and it's helped people understand how it feels to live with an invisible illness. Belittling it is hurtful.

This is the original essay. I think it gets the idea across better than the Wikipedia entry.

https://butyoudontlooksick.com/articles/written-by-christine/the-spoon-theory/

I usually do say I was tired or not up to doing whatever. My reference to spoons here was to point out that a number of members on DC run out of spoons. It wasn't meant to be just about me. And spoon theory explains what a lot of people have to deal with.

Including me, taxy. I completely understand the use of the metaphor rather than explaining one's woes every time. It sounds better to have run out of spoons than to directly whine about it everyday.

I've worked 63+ hours of midnight shifts, 6 days a week (one midnight to noon, one 4p to 8a, one midnight to 4p, and three 11p to 8a shifts) every week, week after week for almost 14 years now. That's my regular shift. Some weeks are more.
And I'm in my late 50s, AND I was recently diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis. Everything hurts somedays.

I just prefer to joke rather than cry about it, or worse, try to tell anyone else how they should talk about things.

Last edited by a moderator:
...And I'm in my late 50s, AND I was recently diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis. Everything hurts somedays.

I just prefer to joke rather than cry about it, or worse, try to tell anyone else how they should talk about things.

BT, I'm sorry to hear that. Here's hoping it's manageable for you.

My concern over the use of "spoons" is that it puts the onus on the reader to go read the explanation to understand the post, rather than making a simple statement that would be clear to all readers at a glance.

As we age, or contract debilitating illnesses, we all have to make accommodations to deal with it.

I'm 77 YO and simply cannot do the things I used to do. Two bum knees, and shoulders a failing hip and arthritis in my right wrist (Im right handed) have slowed me down a lot. I rely more on leftovers and freezer meals when I'm not up to cooking. Four years ago I did a minor remodel of a half bath, installing a new vanity top and faucet set. SO painted the walls and vanity. We are in the midst of doing the same in the main bath and I had to hire a handyman to do some of the demolition and installation.

I tend not to mention it because I'm a private person and don't like to talk about myself and stuff like that. However, I can empathize with people who are experiencing the same or similar issues.

Last edited by a moderator:
I respect that, and you, Andy. And each's own.
Here's hoping all are well today, and can contribute.

Last edited:
There's a big difference between the aches and pains of aging and living with a disability. I'm 58 and was forced to stop working 10 years ago because of complications from chronic illness. DH and I used to go for walks around the neighborhood for an hour or more. Since I had to quit work, if I walk around the block, I probably won't have enough spoons to make dinner. That's one example; there's a lot more I'm not saying because I don't like to talk about these things and come across as a whiner. I'm limited in ways that are quite unusual.

People expect to slow down and have more difficulty doing things as they get older. But DH is 18 months older than I am and his daily routine includes a walk with the dog, a run, and working out in the attic practically every day. That's why the spoon theory came about - to illustrate the difference.

Last edited:
There's a big difference between the aches and pains of aging and living with a disability. I'm 58 and was forced to stop working 10 years ago because of complications from chronic illness. DH and I used to go for walks around the neighborhood for an hour or more. Since I had to quit work, if I walk around the block, I probably won't have enough spoons to make dinner. That's one example; there's a lot more I'm not saying because I don't like to talk about these things and come across as a whiner. I'm limited in ways that are quite unusual.

People expect to slow down and have more difficulty doing things as they get older. But DH is 18 months older than I am and his daily routine includes a walk with the dog, a run, and working out in the attic practically every day. That's why the spoon theory came about - to illustrate the difference.

Succinctly stated, GG.

My slowing down due to aging, was/is unlike not being able to do things because of this past years health issues.

Ross

I make all my pizza's from scratch.....
39817-albums888-picture8879.jpg
[/IMG]

I cook because I love to cook. It's not always cheaper, and is never easier than purchasing something ready made. However, it satisfies the creative, artistic, scientific, and engineering sides of me. I've made foods that were nothing short of spectacular. And conversely, I've made some really bad food. For me, learning what makes my perfect pizza gives me a great tasting meal, and scratches both the creative, and engineering itch.

If you just want to order pizza, no one is faulting you for that.

Easiest pizza - Walmart has ready made, uncooked pizzas that you can purchase, with a pretty tasty crust. I sometimes buy the three cheese variety, and other toppings that I'd like on my pizza, assemble it, and bake it off in the oven at about 400' F. No special tools are required, except maybe a pizza pan.

Tip, though a mezzaluna, sharp knife, or pizza wheel will all cut the slices, I have found that the best tool for the job is kitchen shears.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

My favorite pizza cutting tool is my cleaver.

I'm terrible with pizza wheels because, due to osteoarthritis in my shoulders, I can never press the wheel down firmly enough to cut all the way through the crust. Bought a rocker blade to try - that was a disaster because I never got the hang of how to use it properly. A knife? With knives I normally end up destroying the pizza to where it looks like it's been attacked by cats.

So my cleaver is what I'm most comfortable using. Never tried kitchen shears. Interesting.

To add, I love making homemade pizzas. I'm going to make one this Friday night. Most of the time, I don't use traditional pizza sauce. I make my own. Sometimes I'm in the mood for 'white' pizza to where I make a simple white sauce with plenty of chopped garlic. Sometimes I saute fresh diced tomatoes, onions and garlic and use that as my sauce. And sometimes I don't use sauce at all, I simply brush the crust with olive oil and minced garlic, then add my toppings, which are veggies 99% of the time.

No, I'm not vegetarian, but I don't really like meat on pizza, unless it's a Hawaiian pizza. Gotta have ham on that.

Oh, and I always make my own crust.

Back
Top Bottom