Can you identify these?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lastmanstanding

Senior Cook
I'm not sure if this is the right section but here are some photos from my garden. Can you identify what's in them? :) No prizes for correct answers though. :LOL:

a>

a>

a>

Last edited:
Have no clue!
but 1st one looks like a type of long bean, but that's one heck of a vine it's growing on.

2nd one looks very similar to a bush/tree we have in North America, the Staghorn Sumac.

and the 3rd looks like a blight on a leaf.

Well done! yes the first one is vanilla.
Cooking Goddess it's a little bit different at ground level :)
Vanilla is expensive when it comes to you but those who grow don't get that much. To get a general idea, a fresh vanilla kilo sells for around 30-50 USD while cured vanilla sells between 200-400 USD a kilo. Curing vanilla is not done by everyone. Fresh vanilla is sold on the same day as harvested. Then it is cured by experienced curers and exported. Curing is a long procedure. But a lot of value is added.

Second picture is a Durian tree. It's quite distinctive with its light green colour and very easy to identify from far away.

Third photo is seeds of bitter gourd.

Fresh vanilla is sold on the same day as harvested. Then it is cured by experienced curers and exported. Curing is a long procedure. But a lot of value is added.
I didn't even realize it was sick!

If you want to identify plants, or any other type of flora, download an app called Planta onto your smart phone.

I didn't even realize it was sick!

If you want to identify plants, or any other type of flora, download an app called Planta onto your smart phone.
I must try that app. Must be both useful and fun.

Although we grow some vanilla, we never use it because it's fresh and green. We put one bean in the tea leaves bottle just to make it vanilla flavour, and that's all. You'll be surprised to hear that the majority of those who grow vanilla have never tasted or used it themselves except from some "vanilla flavoured" item bought from the shop. :yum:

That last one is the only one I had in my garden, and I only let one bitter melon to get large enough this season for the seeds to get the color like that - it got lost in the vines! Most I harvest at about 8".

What do you make with your bitter melon/gourd?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom