Cooking with Curry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

janetGood

Cook
A friend gave me some wonderful Curry that was freshly ground and I do not have a good recipie to put it in. I have looked in my cook books and nothing sounds good. I want something with meat and Vegetables together. I also have some Indian Curry from the super market that is a mix of several spices, so I could use them togethor. The fresh curry I have is rust in color and smells really good and was told is very hot. Thanks Janet
This is my first message let me know if I do it wrong:)

Hmm... first thing I would advice is dont mix them. Fresh curry is a blessing and Im kinda jelouse that some one gave you some. :mrgreen:

Usually the most "straight foward" approach to any curry is cutting it back with coconut milk and then doing your mixing. This is pretty common in both thai and indian currys. As for meat and vegetables I recomend the following:

Indian: Lamb, chicken, chick peas, coliflour, potato, carrots, spinache and so on. Personally I would stew the lamb and serve it on rice with curried peas, coliflour and potato.

"Asian": pretty much sky is the limit, although a quick rundown would be:

Chinese: Curry powder mixed in with your noodles to make some delicious singapore style rice noodle.

Thai: cocunut milk, slices of vegetables, served on white rice.

Japanese or korean: curry and a touch of hot water mixed into rice with beef or chicken served on top.

Ive got some practice, when your poor curry can make 99c a pound meat and white rice taste like gourmet food. Right now I've got 7 kinds on me.

janetGood said:
A friend gave me some wonderful Curry that was freshly ground and I do not have a good recipie to put it in. I have looked in my cook books and nothing sounds good. I want something with meat and Vegetables together. I also have some Indian Curry from the super market that is a mix of several spices, so I could use them togethor. The fresh curry I have is rust in color and smells really good and was told is very hot. Thanks Janet
This is my first message let me know if I do it wrong:)
Thanks, I will try the coconut milk, I did try a dish with chicken stock and 1/2 and 1/2 for the base and it was boring, so the coconut milk is probably they way to go with the curry sounds good. I will try the other sugestions also. Thanks again Janet

Janet here is a recipe that might catch your fancy. It is rich so I normally make it only when I invite folks over. It would be a big time calorie blower if I ate it more frequently.

I don't like to mix vegetables with meat in my curries as a rule (except nice big chunks of potatoes) but you can throw in some veggies, just throw them during the last 15 minutes so that they keep their texture:

chicken whole cut up (discard the skin) or chunks of boneless skinless chicken breasts
Curry paste - 2 tbsp
1 large onion thinly sliced
3 cloves of garlic finely minced
1/2 stick of ginger minced
1 small can of tomato sauce (the smallest one you can get your hands on)
1 cup of heavy cream
1/4 cup of blanched almonds or planters cashews ground
salt to taste
cilantro for garnish
1 tbsp of oil

In a deep saute pan, add the oil. Once it's hot add the onions and fry them until they are golden brown. Next add the minced ginger, garlic and curry paste and fry that with the onions for a minute or so. Next add the powdered almonds or cashews and tomato sauce. Add the chicken and salt to taste. Cover and let it cook for about 15 minutes or so. Next add the cup of cream and let it simmer until the chicken is completely cooked. Garnish with chopped cilantro and enjoy it with naan or rice.

I personally love to combine potatoes and cauliflower when I find a curry spice mix I like. Always onions, meat any kind, but optional. Sometimes coconut milk, sometimes just stock. Over basmati (and some hot lime relish and a good chutney) or jasmine rice or even noodles. But then, you can take a lot of stock, broth, or even water, add the curry to taste, toss in odds-and-ends of veggies and a hand full of noodles, and make a great soup. Coconut milk goes good in this, too, if you have it on hand. Also it can be added to yogurt and mayo to make a great salad dressing for either fruit or veg, or both. I guess, re-reading this, I'm saying that a good curry spice that you like can be very versatile and dress up ... leftovers ... into something really new.

Good curry can even be lightly sprinkled on vanila ice cream.

Any way's I highly recomend you make some raita if your going the indian route... some plain yogurt, a little little minced mint leave, some shredded cucomber... I think that's it but I cant remember exactly. Any way's it's cooling and great for your digestion.

My first experience with it was when i made some quesadias....I know I know I totally messed up spelling that....any way it was wonderful and I frequently make these for a quick lunch using whatever extra meats and vegetables I have in the fridge. I used it in combination of cumin, fresh garlic, salt and pepper and a little bit of garlic powder also.

Vietnamese: curry spice, coconut milk, broth, chili oil, garlic, fish sauce & stalk of lemon grass. veggies: carrot, potato, onion & sweet potato. served: french bread or vermicelli noodles w/ shredded romaine lettuce, matchstick cucumbers & bean sprouts. meat: I've seen mostly chicken, though I'm sure you could use any kind of meat.

The type of curry you have should probably dictate how youuse it.

Curry is by definition a spice mixture. There are many, many styles of it.

The spices in Vietnamese, Thai curries are pretty different than dry Indian-style curry powders.

See: http://www.templeofthai.com/food/curry_paste/

See: http://www.pbase.com/rsub8/image/37595704

If you use a turmeric, cardomom, fungreek mix with fish sauce, lemongrass, etc. it won't taste much like real Thai food.

I love curry with anything. I usually saute onion with garlic, celery until clear, sprinkle with the curry, add diced chicken, shrimp or pork, chicken stock and simmer until meat is done, adding butter at the end to thicken. Serve with rice and a fruit chutney, or I add white raisins, almonds, and citroen to the rice. The sweetness of the raisins is a nice contrast to the curry. BTW the more curry powder you use the hotter it is. Try just a little, then taste and gradually add more until it is the flavor and heat you want.

You should put it in an envelope and send it to me - get it out of your house NOW - :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

If I can't talk you into that this is my favorite curry dish - I think GB has one too on here somewhere

Back
Top Bottom