Naan Bread Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChocFingers

Assistant Cook
Hi All!

I did this recipe last night and tonight...

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/418615/easy-naan-bread

I used yeast in it and strong white bread flour instead of plain flour. I found more flour was needed too (it was half the recipe I did too as it was for just myself) but more flour was needed. Last night I did it under the grill for about 7 and a half minutes and tonight in the oven for 15 minutes. I kept putting it back in as it didn't look cooked enough. It still wasn't completely fully cooked all the way through after 15 mins at 180c. About 97% cooked lol!

Anyway, neither times did the naan bread come out proper fluffy like you'd get from a shop bought one.

How can I remedy this? is more kneading needed? or maybe I should left the dough more doughy rather than adding more flour? or maybe try plain flour?

Thanks!

Hi All!

I did this recipe last night and tonight...

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/418615/easy-naan-bread

I used yeast in it and strong white bread flour instead of plain flour. I found more flour was needed too (it was half the recipe I did too as it was for just myself) but more flour was needed. Last night I did it under the grill for about 7 and a half minutes and tonight in the oven for 15 minutes. I kept putting it back in as it didn't look cooked enough. It still wasn't completely fully cooked all the way through after 15 mins at 180c. About 97% cooked lol!

Anyway, neither times did the naan bread come out proper fluffy like you'd get from a shop bought one.

How can I remedy this? is more kneading needed? or maybe I should left the dough more doughy rather than adding more flour? or maybe try plain flour?

Thanks!
I’ve only made naan once. I made them in a screaming hot 12” cast iron skillet. Sprinkle or spritz the naan with a bit of water, throw them onto the skillet one at a time. When the bubbles start to form (it happens very quickly) flip the naan and cook for another minute or so.

The reason I’ve only made these once is because of the enormous amount of smoke this method produces.

180°C doesn’t sound near hot enough to cook naan. It’s only about 350°F. Tandoor ovens are wicked hot. If I were baking the naan, I’d crank my oven up to full temp, like for pizza!

Last edited:
Change recipe and go for Madhur Jaffreys nan recipe, I have no problems with that at all. Yes I have tried this one and my god that was failure.

Change recipe and go for Madhur Jaffreys nan recipe, I have no problems with that at all. Yes I have tried this one and my god that was failure.

Thanks for your post. I have been looking for a good recipe to use in my pizza kettle.

Buy what at Costco? yes I'm in the UK.

So I've just made the dough for the Madhur Jeffrys Naan Bread. The dough was extremely sticky so I added quite a bit more flour. The other recipe I did too. Is this wrong? for Madhur Jeffry's, I did half the ingredients but ended up adding about another 4 or 5 tablespoons of strong white bread flour, is that flour wrong too? I added more flour as it was just a sticky glupey mess and I couldn't get it off my fingers.

What brand of flour did you use? I shall ask my father in law, he also uses Madhurs with no problem and he still in Scotland.

Stick with Madhur Jaffrey's recipe - it's easy to make and it does the job, i.e. you can fill the pocket very well. Madhur Jaffrey's recipe is reliable, and you can't go wrong with it. I still use it now, even though here in Italy it's difficult to get the spices are difficult to find here, so I use the recipe for middle European dishes and particulaly Lebanese dishes.

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

What brand of flour did you use? I shall ask my father in law, he also uses Madhurs with no problem and he still in Scotland.

Just a supermarket own brand (Strong white bread flour) and it turned out ok but as I say, I had to use about 3 or 4 tablespoons more flour or is it s'posed to be really sticky, and I mean really gooey / sticky before proving?

It shouldnt, but flour is a bit tricky when it comes to breads, it all about how much it absorb. I didnt like Tescos strong breadflour, it was worse then my plain Swedish one, hardly absorbed any liquid.

Back
Top Bottom