Pomegranate Molasses

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragnlaw

Site Team
Staff member
I've been seeing quite a few recipes using Pomegranate Molasses. Is anyone finding it in the stores around them? I have not.

When I looked up a recipe - whew! to bring it down to Molasses consistency is a loong time! Not to mention how many pomegranates you would be using.

In Sweden I can find it Arabic stores and some supermarkets, in the UK I found it at health stores and Arabic stores, maybe there?

Just google it and whole food should have it.

Last edited:
Thanks GG -When I have a list long enough, I sometimes make a trip to America (Malone,NY) to shop. But lately I haven't been traveling unless I really need to. Don't know if they have a Kroger's there although I'm sure it would be easy enough to check but I wouldn't go for just one item.

Thanks to you too CakePoet I will check next time I go to the Asian grocer here. There are quite a few ethnic shops in the area. Not sure if any are Arabic although I would guess that there are some deep in the city - I don't need it that badly to go there! LOL.

LOL... well, from all the leads now posted here (and thank you all!) obviously it is only the back-country North American grocers who are not hip on the latest craze of pomegranate molasses! :ROFLMAO:

OR...

You can easily make your own by cooking down some pomegranate juice, which is available everywhere.

Pomegranate Molasses Recipe

Ingredients:

4 cups pomegranate juice
1/2 cup sugar
2 Tbsp lemon juice

Instructions:

In a large saucepan, heat the pomegranate juice to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium, add the sugar and lemon juice and stir until the sugar has dissolved. Reduce the heat to a simmer, and simmer for about an hour, or until the juice has a syrupy consistency and has reduced to about 1 cup. Pour the syrup into a jar and allow to cool. Store chilled in the refrigerator.

Last edited:
LOL... well, from all the leads now posted here (and thank you all!) obviously it is only the back-country North American grocers who are not hip on the latest craze of pomegranate molasses! :ROFLMAO:

Pomegranates in general only became popular maybe last 10 years or so. I loved them all my life and when I first came to america I could not believe how unpopular they are and how many people have never even tasted them.

OR...

You can easily make your own by cooking down some pomegranate juice, which is available everywhere.

I must admit I didn't dig too deep but what I did find were HUGE recipes that were no way suitable for me. so I thank you (SLOB) Sir Loin! (so sorry! what a terrible acronym - I won't use it again!) for the smaller size. Pomegranate juice is quite expensive and I better really want to make that recipe (if I can find it again) should I do so.

Pomegranates in general only became popular maybe last 10 years or so. I loved them all my life and when I first came to america I could not believe how unpopular they are and how many people have never even tasted them.

Charlie, we always had pomegranates around Christmas time, not knowing anything about them as in where they came from, I always assumed they were seasonal and only available then, but then we are talking about the 50's here. It is only with stepped up transport that they are available for a longer period and even still, not all year long.

Last edited:
Yeap, they are still seasonal.

Funny thing happened to us, my wife and me that it is. We went to wedding some 25 years ago in California. The tables were decorated with whole branches with pomegranates still on them. Everybody were "ah, how cute, etc..." while I kept taking pomegranates and eating them. People were out of their minds, they could not believe what I was doing. "Oh look, he is eating decorations..." Guess who got the last laugh, after I ate all of them on our table and some from neighbors, some dude from caterer company comes out and makes an announcement: "if you haven't figured out yet, those are pomegranates and they are not simply decorations, they are there to eat..." I almost fell over when everybody scrambled to figure out how to open them and how to eat them. I was really surprised that many people had no idea.

I was really surprised that many people had no idea.

LOL... and they still don't. It is becoming more popular now that Chefs are beginning to dominate the air waves to watch and they are starting to use them!

Unfortunately the pips are a turn-off for many - including myself. I get my fix once a year and that's it, I'm satisfied.

Yeap, they are still seasonal.

Funny thing happened to us, my wife and me that it is. We went to wedding some 25 years ago in California...

I was really surprised that many people had no idea.

Before global trade became a thing 15-20 years ago, they weren't available much in the United States. The only states that have a suitable climate for growing them are California and Florida and they concentrated on citrus more.

Well, CharlieD, I"ve never eaten one that tasted good, and man, they are a lot of work. Maybe I just don't like them, maybe only bad ones are available, but no thanks. I've made my own syrup from juice (see above), and that's quite good, but it has a lot of added sugar.

Charlie, we always had pomegranates around Christmas time, *** but then we are talking about the 50's here. It is only with stepped up transport that they are available for a longer period and even still, not all year long.

Before global trade became a thing 15-20 years ago, they weren't available much in the United States. The only states that have a suitable climate for growing them are California and Florida and they concentrated on citrus more.

But you did get them around Christmas time, didn't you GG?

I guess my Dad was a foodie and I never knew it! When he saw them in a store, he would bring one home and the two of us would work it over until all the little arils were out. I think I learned to swear when I was about 7 or 8 because of those danged pomegranates! Well, if you consider "shoot" and "darn" swearing for a kid. :LOL: When he could get them, he'd bring one home regularly for the two of us to share. :heart:

Since he delivered bread and serviced all sorts of small grocers, he probably came into contact with lots of different ethnic store owners. It's the only way I can think of my Dad knowing about pomegranates.

We had a relative who lived in Fresno, CA. She raised grapes for raisins. Every year we'd get a "CARE" package from her with different kinds of raisins, "fruit leather", walnuts and pomegranates. As a kid I looked forward to the pomagranates. Also loved to roll walnuts in the fruit leather for a snack.

Back
Top Bottom