"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Click Here to Login

Old 10-28-2021, 01:13 PM   #1
Head Chef

Salt

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20211028_121033809_HDR.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	49570
For a long time, these were the only salts in the cupboard and Morton Kosher was virtually the only one I ever used. Ever since the sauerkraut adventure I've been second-guessing that decision. Many years ago I routinely bought Diamond Crystal Kosher from a butcher shop but don't get over that-a-way anymore and Kroger doesn't sell it. Both the salts pictured above contain anti-caking agents. I haven't seen explicit explanations for why it is so but most all the fermentation bloggers say that isn't a good thing.

Related issue: Many years ago in another forum, I was involved in a discussion about "finishing salt," specifically fleur de sel. Today if you buy it in smallish quantities appropriate for an old man cooking for himself, it's going for about $40 per pound. Thought then and think now that's just out of the question as a matter of principle. But whilst thinking about salt, I've noticed Maldon Salt, Sea Salt Flakes. Still expensive mind you, but about a quarter of the fleur de sel price, and like those fancy salt guys said, "you don't use very much of it."

So I tossed some Diamond Crystal and Maldon Flakes in the Amazon cart and will pull the trigger tomorrow or so unless someone or something changes my mind.

Any thoughts?

Old 10-28-2021, 01:17 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

I bought some Maldon sea salt flakes a while back and I really like it. The crystals are bigger and more randomly shaped, so they do have a nice crunch. I also have Diamond Crystal - can't remember where I got it. I use it for recipes from seriouseats.com and others that use it specifically.

Tap the buy button
Old 10-28-2021, 01:46 PM   #3
Sous Chef

Now a days I only use Diamond Crystal. IIRC it is over two times the volume of table salt, where Morton is only about 1.3. This means I can really coat food without oversalting. Great texture, and even works well for margarita glasses.

Like most pantry items I buy it from Walmart online. Prices are way better than local grocery store, and 2-3 day delivery is free when you spend 35 bucks.
WhateverYouWant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 02:01 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

Salt

I use Diamond Crystal exclusively for cooking. We can get it on our supermarket.

I don’t use specialty salts.
Old 10-28-2021, 05:03 PM   #5
Head Chef

Estimated delivery Saturday, Oct. 30
Thanks, folks.
Old 10-28-2021, 06:51 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I use pickling salt. I had five pound bag of Bernardin coarse pickling salt that lasted for years. I am currently using Windsor coarse pickling salt. Pickling salt is just NaCl, no iodine, no anti-caking ingredients. I like the straight flavour of the pickling salt. I also use Kalas Classic sea salt with iodine. It's not fancy or expensive and it doesn't have anti-caking ingredients. We have never had a problem with salt caking in the shaker package.
Old 10-29-2021, 02:48 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

I’ve only used Diamond Kosher for maybe 20 years now. For cooking.

I have some pink salt and other finishing salts for, well, finishing.

It’s insane that recipes call for “Himalayan” salt and other pricey salts in cooked dishes.

Tags
salt