What Causes This??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PianoAl

Cook
I like my stainless steel cookware, because I can always get it looking like new with a stainless steel scrubbie.

Here is what my dedicated liver pan looks like after cooking.

Pan.jpg

The bottom surface of the pan is easily cleaned with just a little scrubbing, but those spots on the side take a lot of elbow grease.

My theory is that even if I get the oil or butter onto the sides of the pan, it simply slides off as it melts, leaving the surface vulnerable to "staining." But I don't understand why the stains only appear in discrete locations. Is each stain from single splatter? And the stains seem to appear in about the same place, even if I put the liver on the other side of the pan.

Does anyone know why this happens, and is there any way to avoid it?

Thanks,

Al

my guess is that the sides are not fully clad (or thinner), so things burn more due to uneven/higher temps on the sides.

my guess is that the sides are not fully clad (or thinner), so things burn more due to uneven/higher temps on the sides.

I agree. I'd guess your pan has a disk on the bottom but thin sides. Where the flame from the burner hits a spot, oil residue is scorched on.

Buy some Dawn Power Dissolver and Barkeepers Friend. That duo wil make it shine again.

Consider using a smaller flame or smaller burner to keep the flame from reaching out past the edge of the disk.

Thanks, guys. I cooked on a smaller burner today, and had no stains on the side.

I get that sort of thing happening. I use Barkeeper's Friend and a green pad and it is sorted out fairly quickly.

Sometimes it comes off just be deglazing the pan.

I'm agree with you buckytom are not fully clad , so things burn more due to uneven/higher temps on the sides.:chef:
BuckyTom--TMI--we didn't need to know you are not fully clad and things burn more quickly--enough said!:LOL::ROFLMAO: Sorry, A-P, I couldn't resist. I know what you meant. I've been editing all day and just edited an example for an English punctuation exercise:

Elephants stay in your cars please everyone.

When I read the edited sentence (answer): Elephants, stay in your cars please everyone. (I couldn't stop the mental image of lions, tigers, and bears getting out of their cars...). I prefer Elephants! Please stay in your cars. But I'm only on first pass, so I might change it.

Last edited:
I only use ss pots/pans. Most ss pans sold, like AC are 18/10 ss. I have two 'T304' ss pans made with surgical ss. MUCH more expensive but a joy to use. I regularly season all of them and that makes a fundamental difference in their 'non-stick' qualities. It's no big deal to do it.Seasoning of Stainless Steel fry pan

I only use ss pots/pans. Most ss pans sold, like AC are 18/10 ss. I have two 'T304' ss pans made with surgical ss. MUCH more expensive but a joy to use. I regularly season all of them and that makes a fundamental difference in their 'non-stick' qualities. It's no big deal to do it.Seasoning of Stainless Steel fry pan

That's a fascinating 8-year-long discussion of whether or not SS pans need seasoning. The consensus seems to be that they do not. I don't season mine either.

Back
Top Bottom