Yellow Tomatoes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LindaZ

Senior Cook
Our neighbor gifted us with several yellow tomatoes. I've never had them before and wondered who here has had them and what did you make with them? :chef:

My daughter grows yellow tomatoes. I don't know the variety but, we look forward to her harvest each year. They are delicious.

We usually use them in salads and sandwiches. Have never cooked with them.

They should be read in July. :yum:

Ross

Last edited:
I've only had store bought. Didn't think they anything special.

But being home grown, I think/hope you will find them yummy. I used as you would a regular tomato. In a salad and I think I used them in sandwiches. IMO just for colour contrast.

I'm not a big fan of any of the yellow varieties of tomatoes I've grown in the past, as they seemed bland, though a lot of varieties of yellows have big followers out there. Hopefully, you will like whatever the varieties are that you got. Almost all orange varieties, however, have been delicious, some among the best in taste tests of the seasons (I have 6 orange varieties this year). I often dice them up with reds, and greens, when I have something that ripens green, for the color, in salads, as well as those barely cooked pasta dishes. If you get a milder tasting one, don't make a dish that will cook for too long - not much flavor is left in those.

Last edited:
I've grown Galina tomatoes, a Siberian heirloom from Seeds Trust, in the greenhouse. The plants are vigorous and very productive and the tomatoes taste great, with a citrus bite.

oDkjumd.jpg

They're good in salads, alone or mixed with other colors. They can be sliced and used on rustic pizza for a nice contrast. Also good on bruschetta, with a base of pesto and a sprinkle of parmesan.

I tried one of the yellow tomatoes with just salt - it had a mild sweet flavor but didn't jump up and smack you like a fresh red garden tomato. Might try the rest in a salad.

Yellow tomatoes are milder, and sweeter (less acidic) than other tomato varieties, though some of the heirloom tomatoes are just as sweet, if meatier and with more flavor. I find the best in garden salads, like cobb salad. They can be overwhelmed though, by other flavors, such as Italia, or Bleau Cheese dressing, arugula, and strong herbs. They go great with spring salad mixes, and offer a nice counterpoint against bitter lettuce, dandelion greens, and such. They are a perfect compliment, IMHO, to nasturtiums, and edible flowers.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I've grown a couple of varieties of yellow tomatoes. Sungold is one that I really liked. It has an intense flavour, great balance of acid and sweet. Excellent producer, too.
The seed company's test fields are just a couple of miles away from me, so a truly local tomato.

Last edited:
So, I took the yellow tomatoes, a couple of red tomatoes and some onion and chopped them up and marinated them in a sweet lemon vinegarette dressing. It'll accompany the Salisbury steak meatballs and noodles for tonight's dinner. We'll see how it goes. Thanks everyone for the suggestions and info.

So, I took the yellow tomatoes, a couple of red tomatoes and some onion and chopped them up and marinated them in a sweet lemon vinegarette dressing. It'll accompany the Salisbury steak meatballs and noodles for tonight's dinner. We'll see how it goes. Thanks everyone for the suggestions and info.

What time is dinner?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom