Green salsa Verde?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks & will do. We'll have Salsa Verde for a while. I used 4 pounds of Tomatillos! Still have another 3 pounds to use in something...or freeze for future.

Make another batch of your Salsa Verde, but without the hot peppers. Use it to dilute the heat of your existing salsa. You can sub sweet peppers for the hot ones if you so desire.

Seeeeya; Chef Longwind of the North

Make another batch of your Salsa Verde, but without the hot peppers. Use it to dilute the heat of your existing salsa. You can sub sweet peppers for the hot ones if you so desire.

Seeeeya; Chef Longwind of the North

Thanks Chief! It did cross my mind to do another batch, as suggested. I just need to make room in my super organized freezer...or ship some out? Can you use a bucket or two full of salsa? :ROFLMAO:

Thank you. I do intend to make salsa with them, so collapsed doesn't sound like a problem. I'm looking at two recipes from reputable canning sites. I want to try each of them and see if one of them is worth canning. If they taste good and don't bother my arthritis, I want to buy a bunch soon, while they are available, and can some salsa, since the stuff we like and can buy has tomato and does aggravate the arthritis. :( I suspect that I can tolerate it, because I have been ordering the green salsa with my burritos for a while and haven't had a problem. If this works, I can have nachos again. :w00t:

I tried one of those salsa verde recipes. It was delicious. Now, I wait to see if it makes my arthritis worse.

I bought some tomatillos. I want to figure out if they bother my arthritis, since many nightshades do. Well, I got a migraine and postdrome, so I haven't done anything with them yet and I'm going away for a few days. Can I freeze them? If so, any tips? I'm hoping I can just freeze them individually on a tray and then bag them when they are frozen. I have too many other things to do to get ready for travelling to do much more than that.

I know Im extremely late to the party, but as GG said, they can definitely be frozen. They will defrost softer and more liquidy.

I grew them in the garden a few years back ( like 3 or 4 years ago) and I haven't grown them since because they produced to much, that I froze all the extra and use them as I need them. I still have 2 gallon sized bags filled with them in the freezer.

Ive made and tasted 2 kids of salsa verde.

One is more liquidy than chunky as it is ultimately processed in a blender, soothe consistency of the defrosted tomatillas didnt make a difference at all.

The other salsa is thick and chunky, so I had to play with the thickening agent a bit to get it back to the right consistency when using frozen tomatillos as there was more liquid to deal with.

2 things to consider then cutting up defrosted tomatillos

1) be aware that due to their increased juices after being defrosted, when you cut them up they will leak all over the cutting board, and sometimes off the cutting board onto the counter / floor, so just be aware and prepare for it.

2)If the defrosted tomatillo is still intact, it is like a mini water balloon, so when you pierce it with the knife , it kind pops and like above, the liquid kinda goes all over.

Both issues are not an issue if you're aware or figure it out ahead oof time. But, of not, can just leave a little extra clean up.

I know Im extremely late to the party, but as GG said, they can definitely be frozen. They will defrost softer and more liquidy.

I grew them in the garden a few years back ( like 3 or 4 years ago) and I haven't grown them since because they produced to much, that I froze all the extra and use them as I need them. I still have 2 gallon sized bags filled with them in the freezer.

Ive made and tasted 2 kids of salsa verde.

One is more liquidy than chunky as it is ultimately processed in a blender, soothe consistency of the defrosted tomatillas didnt make a difference at all.

The other salsa is thick and chunky, so I had to play with the thickening agent a bit to get it back to the right consistency when using frozen tomatillos as there was more liquid to deal with.

2 things to consider then cutting up defrosted tomatillos

1) be aware that due to their increased juices after being defrosted, when you cut them up they will leak all over the cutting board, and sometimes off the cutting board onto the counter / floor, so just be aware and prepare for it.
Oh yeah, I found out about that. Next time any frozen ones will go in the food processor. I don't have a real blender, just a blender attachment for my Magic Bullet.
2)If the defrosted tomatillo is still intact, it is like a mini water balloon, so when you pierce it with the knife , it kind pops and like above, the liquid kinda goes all over.

Both issues are not an issue if you're aware or figure it out ahead oof time. But, of not, can just leave a little extra clean up.
Yup, I just dealt with the extra cleanup. It was annoying, but not a big deal.

My recipe -- plenty tart... and hot. Tomatillos are an essential ingredient for Salsa Verde. Note: I grow my own jalapeños, and they are HOT, so two are enough.

Salsa Verde

6 Tomatillos
2 Jalapeños (more if you want a scorcher salsa)
1 large yellow onion
4 Cloves Minced Garlic

Peel the outer skin and wash the sticky coating off of tomatillos. Cut the onion into wedges. Coat everything with olive oil. Roast until blistered and soft. Some char is good. I roasted mine on the the grill/BBQ, but an oven/broiler will work.

Let everything cool enough to handle. Slice the jalapeños to remove the seeds. Put everything in a blender or food processor and blend until mostly smooth, but not pureed. Chill overnight in the fridge.

CD

Last edited:
If you´re in a Mexican cantina you can ask for "chiles toreados" - which are just fresh chiles, grilled, sometimes with onions. The char is great, as you say, so your salsa verde must taste delicious.:yum:

Green salsa verde is reduntant. It's like saying white leche blanco.

What if it were made with Purple Tomatillos ?

I know, I know.

Im just keeping myself amused.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-10-21 at 2.17.45 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-10-21 at 2.17.45 PM.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 36
Ok - I gently posted ( 6th post) that salsa verde means green sauce in Spanish. It´s an easy mistake to make if you don´t speak the language - which I do.
I´ve seen posts about Fried Pescado Frito, pork cochinito, and heck knows what else; I turn a blind eye generally, because the point is, someone´s asking a valid question about food.
I´ve also seen some pretty appalling English on different sites - but the same rule applies.

Ok - I gently posted ( 6th post) that salsa verde means green sauce in Spanish. It´s an easy mistake to make if you don´t speak the language - which I do.
I´ve seen posts about Fried Pescado Frito, pork cochinito, and heck knows what else; I turn a blind eye generally, because the point is, someone´s asking a valid question about food.
I´ve also seen some pretty appalling English on different sites - but the same rule applies.

Ahh, we're just playing.:D.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I was surprised and slightly baffled to see "green salsa verde".

I don't know about in Spanish, but in Portuguese, "verde" means both green and young. So, a salsa verde could mean that it wasn't aged or that it was made with young or immature ingredients.

You did, but not everyone knows Spanish and they're not going to learn and remember from a single forum post.

I was surprised and slightly baffled to see "green salsa verde".

I don't know about in Spanish, but in Portuguese, "verde" means both green and young. So, a salsa verde could mean that it wasn't aged or that it was made with young or immature ingredients.
It's possible, but I've never heard that usage before.

Back
Top Bottom