Green salsa Verde?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was surprised and slightly baffled to see "green salsa verde".
I don't know about in Spanish, but in Portuguese, "verde" means both green and young. So, a salsa verde could mean that it wasn't aged or that it was made with young or immature ingredients.

I guess you´re thinking of something like that delicious Vinho Verde - light, refreshing, fruity and young.
Verde is green in Spanish; although it can also mean "very hungry". And a salsa doesn´t require ageing, so it wouldn´t apply there.

I guess you´re thinking of something like that delicious Vinho Verde - light, refreshing, fruity and young.
Verde is green in Spanish; although it can also mean "very hungry". And a salsa doesn´t require ageing, so it wouldn´t apply there.

Aren't there any fermented salsas?

Aren't there any fermented salsas?
As far as I know, no there aren´t. Mexican salsas are freshly made ( they may be cooked), not left for a few days.
I may be wrong, mind you.
Are you thinking of Tabasco Sauce? Not Mexican, except for the name.

As far as I know, no there aren´t. Mexican salsas are freshly made ( they may be cooked), not left for a few days.
I may be wrong, mind you.
Are you thinking of Tabasco Sauce? Not Mexican, except for the name.

Tabasco did come to mind. It isn't the only hot sauce that is fermented. I was thinking that there might be some Mexican fermented hot sauces.

I've never heard of a fermented salsa, either. I have a cookbook by Rick Bayless where several of the first recipes are described as essential salsas. None of them are fermented.

A friend of mine makes his own "sauce" as he calls it. He grows hot peppers and as they mature, he harvests them and then ferments them in a jar, when they reach his desired point, he freezes them, and starts a new batch, and so on, until all are fermented. Then he takes them from the freezer, thaws them out and blends them in a power blender along with ACV and olive oil. Transfers the whole batch to a pot & simmers them. Then he adds Xanthan Gum to thicken to his liking. Then he "cans" them in jars to use at future dates.

Not quite "salsa" but not Tabasco either? He loves peppers and growing them...then finding ways to eat and store them.

Go to a bar, cantina or taco store in Mexico and you´ll always get this on the table:
La Colima Sta Fe Salsa de maní, de chilpotle y de serranos.jpg
From the left, peanut sauce, chilpotle sauce, green sauce, and the ubiquitous limes. It depends which place you end up in; a lot of places will give you a habanero sauce; you may get something "tatemado" - basically, burned black; there may be something mixed with mayo; you´ll probably get smoky one made with chile chilpotle. They ALL hot because they ALL have chiles in them. As I said, I never remember having a fermented one; not even the commercial brands.
If you want fermented hot sauces, go to a South East Asian store. The Chinese and the Koreans ferment their hot peppers in huge vats.

I was thinking that there might be some Mexican fermented hot sauces.

Probably not. The acidic effect of tomatoes, tomatillos, and chile, combined with the salt, would prevent fermentation. That's probably best for a shelf-stable product popular in warm climates.

For fermented hot relish, I like kimchi.

Last edited:
Brad Leone at Bon Appetit has a recipe video on YouTube for a fermented Salsa Roja.

CD

Ross, two questions: 1) Do you like other pasta? 2) Did you try whole grain couscous?

I have been served regular couscous a couple of times and didn't dislike it. I just didn't like it enough to ever bother buying it and cooking it myself. I am planning on buying some wholewheat couscous and I will find out what I think of that.

Ross, two questions: 1) Do you like other pasta? 2) Did you try whole grain couscous?

I have been served regular couscous a couple of times and didn't dislike it. I just didn't like it enough to ever bother buying it and cooking it myself. I am planning on buying some wholewheat couscous and I will find out what I think of that.

1) Yes, I do have pasta frequently. I must say tho, other than orzo and ditalina (which I use for mac salad) my tastes go to longs pastas, linguini, thin spaghetti, etc.

2) I do not recall which couscous I tried @ various times. I only know that, tho I tried, it wasn't a dish I could get into.

Please let me know if there is a great difference using wholewheat. It would have to be a "great improvement". ;) :)

Ross

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom