Homemade Egg Rolls?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yum, Southwest eggrolls!:yum:

Very versitile.

Go for Asian style pulled pork, or roast pork belly.
Carrot
Daikon
Jalapeno
Cilantro
wrap em up and fry away, it's like a Bahn mi style roll

Bacon
Jalapeno
smoked chicken
cilantro
black bean
pepperjack

Better than any of the App style, restaurant ones

Bacon
mac n Cheese
Jalapeno(if you want some kick)
Lump Crab meat

People go NUTS for them. . .

Sky is the limit with eggroll wrappers. Even Philly Cheese steak eggrolls that seem to be becoming all the rage in DC. If you can think it, you can wrap it, and fry it.

Take a fistfull of fresh bread dough; roll it out into a thin membrane. Place a portion of pre-cooked and seasoned venison cubes, saute'd onion, and your favorite cheese in the middle. Enclose the ingredients in the dough by folding the edges up and around the filling. Pinch the edges to seal, and deep fry, or bake until the dough is golden brown. Serve hot, with a side of garden salad.

Oh, yeh!!!:yum:

seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

My first homemade egg rolls got 2 thumbs up from the family.

img_1185946_0_e680195c8c39a2d80d285accfeddd2b7.jpg

Very nice. What's innside?

Very nice. What's innside?

Darn, that me me hungry for eggrolls.

Me too! I am still trying to through the harvest season, but egg rolls are on my list of things to do once the kitchen belongs to me again and not the garden harvest!
Thank you.

Egg roll filling:

ground pork
shredded green cabbage
shredded carrot
bamboo shoots - drained and chopped
whole mushrooms - chopped
celery stalks - chopped fine
green onions - thinly sliced
soy sauce
salt
sugar
accent (MSG)

I'm going to try and make these tomorrow. What do you put in your egg rolls and how do you make them at your house?

Fillings for egg rolls or wontons (other than Asian):

Reuben w/ thousand island or russian dressing dipping sauce

Italian Egg Rolls (my personal fave)
Ground sausage or beef, roasted sweet red peppers, vermicelli (broken), & pine nuts, w/ marinara dipping sauce

Avocado & lobster or crab egg rolls

Sweet:

Apple Pie Egg rolls sprinkled w/ powdered sugar & served warm w/ vanilla ice cream

Nutella & banana Egg rolls

So many possibilities.

I've make all sorts of what I'll call egg rolls over the years, using various kinds of wrappers. Now all I can get are the won-ton and regular egg roll wrappers. Once a neighbor's Vietnamese mother came over and we moved the kitchen table to the middle of the room, and she taught us how to make those absolutely delicious Vietnamese spring rolls. I cannot buy those particular kinds of wrappers locally (much thinner than the regular Chinese egg roll wrappers). In Hawaii I used to be able to buy the wrappers for Filipino egg rolls (long and thin, sort of like a cigar, can't remember what they're called).

Great eats, all of them!
Filipino Egg Rolls - Lumpia

Oh yes, the Filipino nurses know how to make extra cash from me. 30 Lumpia for $15. They are frozen so I can set them up for lunches. $1 for lunch is really good!
Are they frozen after cooked? How do you reheat them?

Ran to store after work yesterday, picked up the stuff for the egg rolls. Called my wife asked her to make rice ahead, thank G-d for rush hour traffic there was time to cook it and even put in the refrigerator for almost an hour. Though I prefer to keep rice in the fridge overnight before frying i a pinch it worked.
Here is my exact the same dish, and let me tell you it was good. I have not made it in a while and the whole family definitely missed it and enjoyed it.

Attachments

• IMG_0342[1].jpg
    IMG_0342[1].jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_0343[1].jpg
    IMG_0343[1].jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_0345[1].jpg
    IMG_0345[1].jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_0348[1].jpg
    IMG_0348[1].jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 153
Are they frozen after cooked? How do you reheat them?

Yes, they are cooked. Partially thawed, put them in a paper bag and in the microwave for about two minutes. That is how they come out the crispiest, personally I don't care if they are crispy or not. You could refry them, too.

They look wonderful MM :)

Thank you Kylie.

Ran to store after work yesterday, picked up the stuff for the egg rolls. Called my wife asked her to make rice ahead, thank G-d for rush hour traffic there was time to cook it and even put in the refrigerator for almost an hour. Though I prefer to keep rice in the fridge overnight before frying i a pinch it worked.
Here is my exact the same dish, and let me tell you it was good. I have not made it in a while and the whole family definitely missed it and enjoyed it.

Looks wonderful Charlie.

Nice job, charlieD! Here's my go.....went with a basic recipe...had three for supper....

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 142
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 151
  • 011_crop.jpg
    011_crop.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 150
  • 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:
My filling comes out so great. But those egg rolls that you Charlie, and RockLobster put my wrappers to shame. I just can't seem to get the wrappers to come out as crispy, and golden as i'd like. The eggrolls are still very good. But if I could get mine to fry up like yours, they'd be perfect instead of very good. Give me your frying secret, please.

My filling is made up of cubed chicken or pork, stir-fried until just done through so that the meat is well flavored and tender, and placed into a large, glass bowl. This is combined with the following veggies, and flavors, all saute'd to that wonderful, crispy-soft stage: water chestnuts, bamboo shoots, bok choy, diced carrot, lots of bean sprouts, ginger, fresh garlic, soy sauce.

The filling is crisp and flavorfull, and works so well with sweet & pineapple sour sauce. Sometimes I change up the protein to shrimp, or scallops, and use a lemon sweet and sour sauce. That too is a great combination. I just need the shell to be as nice as yours are.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom