One new ingredient/dish in '08

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The biggest thing I did this year was to grow my own fresh herbs. Some from seed and others from small plants. I was so tired of not being able to get quality fresh herbs from my grocery store. It was wonderful to use just cut herbs in recipes. I harvested all summer, and still have a rosemary, thyme and oregano plant that have survived on the porch through snow, and overnight freezes. The rosemary looks great the other two look like what I used to find in the grocery but still alive.

Other spices I froze in ice cube trays and have had available all winter long. In addition to some Pesto ice cubes.

Mmmmmm, I made posole for the first time, too. SO good! I think I might have to do that for New Year's day, although I usually use up the last of the ham and bone for navy bean soup and cornbread. I'll discuss this with my family, because they really love that bean soup.

I also tried a mix of quinoa, Israeli couscous, and a bunch of other grains that come together in a bag from Trader Joe's. What a treat and such a nice variation from rice and potatoes as a side starch. I cooked it in vegetable broth and my whole family loved it, even the two-year-old grandson, and he's a picky little bugger.

Happy New Year Everybody!!!

Edamame ... LOVED it! Must get some more.

I tried the Thai Chili Sauce, too. Very good for a sweet element. I mix it with other Asian sauces to use as a dip for Chinese dumplings.

Beer Cheddar Cheese from Trader Joe's ... Spectacular!

Oh man, I try different ingredients and make new recipes all the time! I get a lot of ideas and recommendations from here and from Food Network, but I sure as heck can't remember them all.

Two my 2008 keepers are Egg Foo Yung and Oven-Fried Rice.

I'd say the easiest, delicious and most versatile recipe I've adopted is one from Ol' Blue. I've used this with pork loin, chops, ribs, beef, chicken ... whatever I have!

Pork Loin, Melt in Your Mouth (Posted by Ole Blue)

2 1/2 to 3 pound(s) PORK LOIN ROAST; Boneless.
1 clove(s) (small) GARLIC; Cut Into Slivers.
FLOUR
1 to 2 tablespoon(s) OIL
1 package(s) LIPTON ONION SOUP MIX
1 can(s) (10 3/4 ounce) CREAM OF MUSHROOM SOUP
2 cup(s) WATER; Hot.
SALT; To Taste.
BLACK PEPPER; To Taste.
_____

Poke holes all around pork loin, insert garlic.
Season pork with salt and pepper to taste.
Coat meat well with flour.
Heat oil in cast iron skillet or a heavy skillet.
Brown meat on all sides.
Mix the mushroom soup and onion soup mix together with the hot water.
Slowly add soup to the roast allowing some of the onion pieces to rest on the top of the pork loin as much as possible.
Cover pan and bake at 375 degrees for about 1 hour and 15 minutes or until done.
Serve gravy over mashed potatoes if desired.

Lee

Since GG got things going on a Mexican tangent. I tried then made atole last winter. What a great winter comfort drink.

For me it was tahini...I've eaten it plenty of times, but this was the first I made something myself with it.

I made leeks for the first time this year. I braised them with some carrots and tarragon... Very earthy and delicious!

I made the Cream of Jalapeno soup (recipe was passed to me by a friend) which was a keeper. I also tried a recipe from Allrecipes.com for an easy Peanut Butter/Marshmallow fudge candy which is a keeper. We've tried several types of Thai cellophane noodle packages and enjoyed them! We're going to keep trying new foods and new recipes next year.

Back
Top Bottom