Bread Pics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I can't imagine how good that store smelled! I would take a few of those loaves please!

Joe, or anyone for that matter, have you tried the NYT bread with add-ins? I was toying with adding olives and parmesan or asiago. I was also thinking of using some of my tomato juice for the water. Thoughts?

Sorry I didn't finish answering your question. I have not heard of using liquids other than water in this recipe but it sure sounds interesting. I don't know about the interaction consequences, but I would check to see if that much acid in the tomato juice would kill the yeast. If nobody gets back to you, go for it. The worst to happen is you're out a buck in ingredients. Keep us informed.

Joe

I can help there.....
We make a tomato-basil bagel at work, using pizza sauce.
I believe we use it for about half the liquid, maybe a little less. For a 12 1/2 pound batch yesterday it was about 3 lbs sauce, 4 lbs water. I'll double check on that this afternoon.
You may need a little more yeast to counteract the added salt of the canned products.
HTH.

If it hadn't been for the signs, I would have guessed it was your kitchen JoeV!

You can take shortcuts when making bread but low and slow rises are what gives bread flavor. It is why I like regular yeast over quick rise. One can always do the first rise overnight in the refrigerator. Then, bring it back to room temperature, punch down, rise again and bake. Not only will this save some time--you aren't waiting for the dough but are sleeping--your bread will taste better.

You can take shortcuts when making bread but low and slow rises are what gives bread flavor. It is why I like regular yeast over quick rise. One can always do the first rise overnight in the refrigerator. Then, bring it back to room temperature, punch down, rise again and bake. Not only will this save some time--you aren't waiting for the dough but are sleeping--your bread will taste better.

That's so true. I just made the Panera Sourdough Bread with a 16 hour cold rise in the fridge, and the taste was exquisite. My starter is several months old, and has a nice tang to it. Not a bite, just a tang.

I think I'll try sourdough pancakes in the morning, just because I have a lot of starter right now.

......sigh.....
Somehow the pictures of the bread just aren't as sexy looking anymore :(

;):angel:

Thank you Joe and Suzie ... I'm going to try the tomato idea today / tomorrow. I'll let you know how it turns out!

Back
Top Bottom