Okay, I'm kind of a dummy (Masa Harina)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeni78

Senior Cook
I needed some for a chili recipe and now I have an entire bag. I probably could have subbed flour, but no, I went and bought a bag of something I don't know what to do with...

Ideas??? Recipes???

Wow...I had to google that one. Never heard of it. I guess you could make a bunch of tortillas or something???

:rolleyes:I did the same thing, Jeni, and now I have a lifetime supply for chili. There's just no substitution quite like Masa Harina for chili. I made tamales once (all by myself) and I'll never be doing that again.....OMG one of the worse experience of my life that lasted till 3am. I hear it's fun with a group, but I'll pass. I think it will keep dang near forever if it's taken care of properly......think I'll just will it to my kids.

:rolleyes:I did the same thing, Jeni, and now I have a lifetime supply for chili. There's just no substitution quite like Masa Harina for chili. I made tamales once (all by myself) and I'll never be doing that again.....OMG one of the worse experience of my life that lasted till 3am. I hear it's fun with a group, but I'll pass. I think it will keep dang near forever if it's taken care of properly......think I'll just will it to my kids.

Tamales are a lot more fun with a group Kayelle. I had the same experience of trying to do them on my own. It took me almost three days, I had to sleep sometime:ROFLMAO:

Okay - good to know on the tamales...almost went in that direction.

YES it is the instant kind, I had to look...does that make things better?

I'm so glad I'm not the only one...thank you!

It just reduces the cooking time, if it doesn't have any extra ingredients in it, I.e. baking powder, salt...you can use it as a flour.

I use the instant when I make Tamales. It's ready to go as soon as you are. Easier to work with. Refrigerates and freezes well.

I mix the Maseca ( Masa) with the dry ingredients first. Then add the cooking oil. Slowly add warm chicken broth. It makes the dough easier to spread if your making Tamales. I love making those. It's not that time consuming once you get the process down. Use the dough when it's room temp.

Munky.

I use the instant when I make Tamales. It's ready to go as soon as you are. Easier to work with. Refrigerates and freezes well.

I mix the Maseca ( Masa) with the dry ingredients first. Then add the cooking oil. Slowly add warm chicken broth. It makes the dough easier to spread if your making Tamales. I love making those. It's not that time consuming once you get the process down. Use the dough when it's room temp.

Munky.

Yes, "Miss Got It All Together":ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO: It's getting the process down that takes awhile!:innocent:

Yes, "Miss Got It All Together":ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO: It's getting the process down that takes awhile!:innocent:

HAHAA!!:ROFLMAO:

You know it took me a few times on my own to get it right.
I never have a pack of people around me when there's work to be done. It was spreading the Masa that got me every time! Actually hated that part it was so time consuming.
I wised up fast ( mostly out of desperation) to spread it into the husks with a tough spatula that wouldn't bend. Hold the smaller end and wipe it on. Got that even layer from end to end. Side to side. Thickness depends on who's eating it. I prefer a medium. Stacked them in a pile. Set it aside. Scrape up the excess off the board add it back to the bowl. When your done go back and add the filling. Wrap and steam.

Lil Miss Got It Down!

How's that? :LOL:

Munky.

HAHAA!!:ROFLMAO:

You know it took me a few times on my own to get it right.
I never have a pack of people around me when there's work to be done. It was spreading the Masa that got me every time! Actually hated that part it was so time consuming.
I wised up fast ( mostly out of desperation) to spread it into the husks with a tough spatula that wouldn't bend. Hold the smaller end and wipe it on. Got that even layer from end to end. Side to side. Thickness depends on who's eating it. I prefer a medium. Stacked them in a pile. Set it aside. Scrape up the excess off the board add it back to the bowl. When your done go back and add the filling. Wrap and steam.

Lil Miss Got It Down!

How's that? :LOL:

Munky.

Great! Thanks for the tips! How thick is the masa...I mean how spreadable. Next time, I'm going to pipe the filling in too, will save me some headaches. I only have enough room to set 6 up at a time. ARRGH!

Great! Thanks for the tips! How thick is the masa...I mean how spreadable. Next time, I'm going to pipe the filling in too, will save me some headaches. I only have enough room to set 6 up at a time. ARRGH!

It will be thick. The dough will feel very soft. Easily spread. Can't miss it. Tough dough is tough dough..
If the doughs not sticking to the wrapper while your evening it out. It's too thick. I add a little more warmed broth until I get it right.

Make a trial one and adjust it where it's needed.

Munky.

It will be thick. The dough will feel very soft. Easily spread. Can't miss it. Tough dough is tough dough..
If the doughs not sticking to the wrapper while your evening it out. It's too thick. I add a little more warmed broth until I get it right.

Make a trial one and adjust it where it's needed.

Munky.

Thanks...it about drives me to distraction...some of mine were almost see-through. But, by then I was past caring, just trying to get them done. It's a good thing they tasted good!:LOL:

I did the same thing...bought a bag of masa harina and thought I would never run out again.....wrong!!
I reckon some folks might say it is sacrilege, but I discovered that masa harina makes wonderful cornbread. Here at Casa de Hoot, we make three or four different kinds of cornbread. We make a large pone in a very shallow skillet, other times we will fry smaller, thicker pones, we make deep fried hushpuppies and we bake various versions of cornbread.
Now I must admit, I haven't tried masa harina in baked cornbread, but for the fried versions, masa harina has a wonderful flavor. My Mom used to say it tasted like cornbread they had when she was a young'un.
I reckon sooner or later I will try it in baked cornbread.

I've used it in potato pancakes (the kind made with mashed potatoes, egg, flour and seasoning) in place of the AP flour and it added a bit more flavor to the pancake.
I imagine I'll still have some in the cupboard when I am no longer around, but it's another use.

Originally Posted by Jeni78

I leave tamale making to those families who've had it down for generations, and I buy from them. At Christmas I bought a dozen delicious tamale's from a neighbor for $20.00. I would have wanted to charge $20 for each of mine with all the time and frustration. :wacko:

Originally Posted by Jeni78

I leave tamale making to those families who've had it down for generations, and I buy from them. At Christmas I bought a dozen delicious tamale's from a neighbor for $20.00. I would have wanted to charge $20 for each of mine with all the time and frustration. :wacko:

Tamales are fun...and good...and time consuming:ROFLMAO: If there were any good places to buy them around here I wouldn't bother.:LOL:

Back
Top Bottom