Angry, just a tad!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kadesma

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
About 25 years ago, we built the home we now live in..At the time our contractor came to me and asked if I'd like the leftover scraps of wood to burn in our fireplace? Sure I said, so he had the men stack it neatly..It being summer then I forgot about it til one evening the kids thought they might like a fire, well by golly all the scrap was gone. I find out about 6 months later that our dear next door neighbor, about 1/4 mile away had done us a huge favor and came with her DH's pickup and loaded it up and used it in her fireplace!!! This she told me as she handed me open mail (mine) she had for 2 weeks..Okay..Over and done with. It's now 25 years later, we had a large cottonwood tree cut down 2 weeks ago and had it left so we could cut and stack it to burn after it weathered some..Okay, I'm here typing to all of you about taking the kids to have pictures taken and my dog and my mom's dog both blow a gaskit and I hear an electric something start up..I go to the front and guess what?? Same neighbor, husband in tow with saw is starting to cut and put the limbs in her pickup!!!:ohmy: Well let me tell ya, I just had a fit. I'm afraid I wasn't very nice, called her a thief and ran um off...I cannot for the life of me see how anyone can justify taking from someone without even asking and then get uppity about it. Telling me they were helping me clean up my yard.Yep just like the last time... Was I angry?:censored:
Just a tad:LOL: How would you have dealt with this? Had she been needy or even asked for some of the wood, it would have been my pleasure, but this couple have a lot of land and money. I just don't understand...
kadesma

I'd be angry too. Had they asked first fine but to just drive up in your yard and help themselves totally different situation.

Oh man would I have gone nuts on them. That is stealing plain and simple. You were a lot kinder than I would have been. I am sorry you had to go through that (twice)!

yeah... .I would have been mad! Though I would have made Paul go yell at them instead of doing it myself. I'm a big chicken and find it hard to make people believe that I'm angry with them. Can you say wimp??

I'm with pds, I'd have sent Ryan out. Confronation is not my specialty, I end up looking like the one in the wrong. dh can say one sentence in a calm way that makes them feel like ****. Sorry kadesma, maybe she thinks since you've known eachother for so long she would help herself but even family should ask!

:) I would be really mad and you did the right thing if they do it again put a restraining order on them.By the way taking someone elses mail is a Federal Offence:mad:

This is as astonishing to me as the time a neighbor trimmed some trees in his yard, threw the trimmings into my yard, and then had the temerity to come over and yell at me after I threw them back. How can you deal with people like this?

There is no explaining the way some people think. Sounds like you live in a fairly rural area. I'd be tempted to put up a "Trespassers will be Prosecuted" sign (or "Shot" or "Violated" :ohmy: ) or some such, though no doubt this "lady" would say to whoever would listen "We weren't trespassing, we're the neighbors!" and truly feel this justified her presence on your property.

Bummer. Hope you scared 'em off for good!

Kelly

:ohmy: The nerve! Way to go, kades!! I'm proud of you! I would have been so mad...stealing firewood in these parts is like horse-thievin' in the Old West.
5.gif

I would have had to open a good 'ol fashioned can of whoop-a** on them.... that is very irritating and I would have done the same as you did. I am fortunate, I have pretty decent neighbors except for the guy behind me that likes to mow his lawn at 7am Saturday morning.... don't folks know that is a sleeping in day??!!!??

Thanks everyone,
I was angry, but, I'm over it. I've lived out here 35 years and this is the only neighbor, I stay away from. I was always quiet and very shy as a kid, but once I had my own kids, I had to learn to be their protector and champion as did their dad. My dh is very mild mannered and had he been here I can tell you what would have happened..He would have helped her load her pick up and then ask if she needed help unloading:ROFLMAO: The only time he really fires up is if someone picks on one of his kids or me. This will not happen again, I promised myself that today. I think she knows how I feel now and I should have done this a long time ago. I made it clear also I'd better not get anymore opened old mail either or I would report them. Out here in the country, we learned that you don't go plodding through the almond,walnuts,grapes, peaches for anything except a lost child or animal and you always ask,seems to me, that's only fair and good neighbors will respect you for obeying that unwritten rule.They will also, be right there if you need them..Then you have the neighbor who behaves like this and it really throws you. Hopefully I was heard and it won't happen again..Sorry I dumped this in your laps, but I had to get it out and off my back. Thanks,
kadesma:)

Hey, IMHO, you were nice. I'd have gone ballistic. I'd have been much stronger in my actions.

1. They have a chain saw, and you don't know if they'd come at you with it when you confront them. I'd have my Glock with me. Not necessarily pointed at them, but definitely drawn and "cheeked" (holding it against your backside).

2. Having training in law enforcement, I'd certainly attempt to de-escalate and disarm them without them knowing I had a gun. Then, assuming successful disarming, I'd slide my gun in my belt, and likely prone them out on their front side. If I could access my cuffs, I'd cuff 'em. If not, call the cops. Not being a sworn officer, you have to have the cops there to make a citizen's arrest, which is what I would do.

3. Even not having training in law enforcement, I'd do whatever I could to detain them until the cops come.

I just can't understand how anyone would have the audacity to trespass onto someone's property to "help clean up the yard" without the owner's permission. Far enough out in the country, that may just get you shot! The only place someone is welcomed on my property without permission is the path leading to my front door to discuss reasons for their being on my property.

It may seem a bit over reacting, but typically theft severity is figured by value of the good(s) taken. Depending on the amount of wood and what the value of it would be, the crime could be either a misdemeanor, gross misdemeanor, or felony. Here in MN, up to $250 in value is a misdemeanor, $250 - $500 is a gross misdemeanor, and over $500 is a felony.

Hey, everyone has to unload every now and then. I enjoyed reading about it... consider it theraputic... for both the venter and ventee!

kadesma said:
Thanks everyone,
I was angry, but, I'm over it. I've lived out here 35 years and this is the only neighbor, I stay away from. I was always quiet and very shy as a kid, but once I had my own kids, I had to learn to be their protector and champion as did their dad. My dh is very mild mannered and had he been here I can tell you what would have happened..He would have helped her load her pick up and then ask if she needed help unloading:ROFLMAO: The only time he really fires up is if someone picks on one of his kids or me. This will not happen again, I promised myself that today. I think she knows how I feel now and I should have done this a long time ago. I made it clear also I'd better not get anymore opened old mail either or I would report them. Out here in the country, we learned that you don't go plodding through the almond,walnuts,grapes, peaches for anything except a lost child or animal and you always ask,seems to me, that's only fair and good neighbors will respect you for obeying that unwritten rule.They will also, be right there if you need them..Then you have the neighbor who behaves like this and it really throws you. Hopefully I was heard and it won't happen again..Sorry I dumped this in your laps, but I had to get it out and off my back. Thanks,
kadesma:)

You know, most of the people I've ever respected the most are people like your DH. I've never figured out how to be that way, but I've always wanted to. I figure you're the same as me, and this is why you're asking. These people are special, and I think you have to be born this way. When they're nice, people listen. When they're really mad, people listen all the harder.

Please let me know if you figure it out.

Kelly

Hey CJ, don't get mad, get even... just go over to their garden and help yourself to whatever you fancy!!
Maybe then they may understand how it feels!!

Anyway you have done a right thing to vent it here... there are occasions when you really need to do it, and we are always here for support...

(((Hugs)))

I would have done the exact same thing, kads. If they ever confront you and give you a hard time about it, tell them they're lucky you were nice enough to not call the police--which you'll do the next time.

I'm sorry you had to have such a disappointint experience--things like this shouldn't happen to good people like you. DH and I were just lamenting the fact that we don't have any nice, helpful neighbors. We moved into a neighborhood from the country so we could be part of a community, especially with Sofie here now. It's a shame there are so many thoughtless peope around.

Imagine what a nice neighborhood it would be if all of us DC folks could live near one another!:) :)

Let's see, on my land, no permission, taking my property........ DH, get the gun!!!!!

I'm glad that you caught them this time. If I were you, would keep a close eye on the idiots and I would file a report with the police so that it is on record in case they decide you need help again.

You go girl! I'd have been on'em like ugly on an ape! There is no limit to what people will do if they can get away with it.

I can be pretty formidable when need be. And if my husband is here...let's just say one look from him is enough to make the rifraf scatter.

Kadesma, sounds like most everyone would have done what you did. (GUNS??? EEK!!) I think you were absolutely right. I live in the city so I would have gone out with my phone in hand whilst screaming obscenities. You did just right. THEY were the ones who were not being neighbourly not you. Next time take a bat with you. And kadesma....ATTA GIRL!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom