Eczema season coming up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claire

Master Chef
This sounds so silly, but I get more practical advice from you guys than from any other web site. The season is here. The heat is on. We've had two deep freezes. Last year I lost about 90% of my hair. It is back now. It is my second winter with this skin problem. I've found that many home remedies actually work better than the prescriptions (for example, I have an Rx moisurizer, but Dad likes cocoa butter, and I find it works just as well). Anyone out there have the same problem? What do you do about it? I'm determined to stay on top of the problem this year. Part of my problem last year was that I didn't realize what was going on until my GP said, "Got any eczema or psoriosis in your family?" BOTH. but at 50+ years old, it didn't occur to me that I had a "new" (to me) skin disease. So what OTC products do you find work?

I've never had eczema on my head, Claire, but I've had it so bad on my hands that I've lost fingernails.
I found that the steroid creams prescribed by the DR just made my skin more sensitive, and if anything, made the eczema worse. Your dad is right on about the cocoa butter. I find that does more good than anything.

My dermatologist told me that plain old Vaseline is the best thing to use because it has fewer ingredients in it for your skin to react to. It works well for me. HOWEVER, he says you must be vigilant in applying. Another friend uses plain baby oil and rubber gloves to sleep in. The OTC medicated stuff that worked well to stop a flare up was called Ihle's paste. Its a white zinc based ointment, but it works well only on a flare up. It doesn't work to keep moisture in your skin on a regular basis.

I told you this site works better than any other I've experimented with. Alix, thanks for the vaseline tip. When I was assigned to North Dakota (about 30 years ago), I used to smear it on my face to protect me from the -40 degree, windy weather. Somehow, in those years in the tropics, I've forgotten what a great protectorant it is.

Mine's been flaring up for the last few weeks already and it seems that poor Sofie has inherited if from me too!:( I swear by Aquaphor Healing Ointment for both of us.

Claire, let me know if it works for you. I have to say it has worked well for me. I also have Lyderm cream for flare ups. It is petroleum based and works well too, but it does thin the skin a bit.

I know what you mean about the "new" skin disease Claire.
Mine started last year at the age of 48! What gives? I'd never had skin problems before. Oh well, I just added it to the list of other bodily issues that I never had 20 years ago:LOL: My doctor prescribed an ointment that looks like Vaseline but costs me $80.00:mad: which seems to keep things in check. I also use Aveeno lotion after showering which seems to help.

I don't have eczema but I do have very itchy dry skin in the winter. Best things I have found to work for me is Vaseline. Or anything with cocoa and shea butter in it.

Last edited:
I "always" have to wear rubber gloves when I do the dishes. And my poor DH hands dry out so bad from working in his workshop in the winter time. His finger tips crack and bleed so bad. We have found out that Vaseline works about the best of anything. He puts the Vaseline on and covers it with duct tape. I know it sounds strange but it works for him. He looks kind of funny walking around his workshop with 10 finger tips covered with duct tape.:LOL:

The old Vaseline adds said "Vaseline Petroleum Jelly, the first aid kit in a jar". My parents always had Vaseline and Vicks in the house and so do I.

How strange to see this thread today. I almost wish I had eczema or some other obvious skin ailment. Instead, I have just one area on my arm that itches, even burns, intensely but with absolutely no visible mark or rash. The dermatologist said she's seen this before but didn't really have a diagnosis. She suspected shingles but said that that doesn't usually last as long as this has.

I have some topical stuff, which helps briefly, and also oral antihistamines, which make me feel as if my head is full of concrete. It comes and goes, but it was at its worst last night. The only good thing I can say about it is that it has helped me develop incredible will power -- not to scratch.

My son had eczema on his arms when he was a toddler and the pediatrician suggested that I use diaper rash cream. For the life of me I can't remember the name. Seems like it started with a D.

The active ingredient is zinc oxide and it sounds like that is the basis for the other creams, too.

My son has a mild form of eczema - last winter I used Aquafor like PABaker. I have also hear eucerin cream is good. My daughter gets it on her scalp so bad she bleeds. Her doctor prescribed a special shampoo - you may want to look into that. I'm sorry you have this - I hope it doesn't get too bad this year.

If you have the eczema dry skin condition of the scalp where your scalp is bleeding and itching one of the best products that I have ever used is Neutrogena's T/Gel Therapeutic Shampoo Extra Strength. It advertises that it controls redness, intense itching, and flaking of severe scalp conditions and controls the symptoms of : seborrheic dermatitis and psoriasis. YOu can find it at WM as well as most pharmacies. I have had a long romance with eczema and I find that this works great. Lather your hair, leave the shampoo in for a few minutes, shave your legs, etc., and then wash out. You won't believe the relief for your scalp. Hope that this works--for just regular skin conditions I like Eurcerin as well and Cortaid's Intensive Therapy Anti-Itch lotion (Maximum strenght over the counter hydorcortisone). Good luck!!!!!

I've actually found that Head & Shoulders NEWEST line works just as well as the super T/gel, without the tar smell. I'm hoping not to have to go back to the doc for the rx shampoo, which I believe was steroid based. With any of them I shampoo, then wrap my hair up and putter around the house for at leat 5 minutes. Then I take my shower, and use another Head & Shoulders dandruff/scalp care conditioner while I'm showering. I used a cocoa butter based body wash last year, but this year am trying an oil of olay one. Another thing I learned was that I had to stop daily showers, they were doing the most damage. Believe me, it took a lot of un-training to stop showering every day.

After reading your post, Claire, I remembered another suggestion from the doctor. Taking a shower every other day is a very good habit to get in to (hard to do in the summer though) - and she also said to use antibacterial body soap. Sometimes the perfumes and additives in the nice body soaps can irritate the skin.

Dear Michelemarie,

My dermatologist said the same thing about showering and washing my hair very other day if I could get by with it----not possible all the time unfortunately. And have not heard about this new Head and Shoulders that's been posted. Will certainly look for it when I'm back in the states in December. Perfumes and additives really do aggravate this condition, that's for sure. Best of luck!!:)

Michelemarie said:
After reading your post, Claire, I remembered another suggestion from the doctor. Taking a shower every other day is a very good habit to get in to (hard to do in the summer though) - and she also said to use antibacterial body soap. Sometimes the perfumes and additives in the nice body soaps can irritate the skin.

I have psoriosis and in the winter I drink Slippery Elm tea and also take 500 mg Curcumin every day. These are two natural/herbal remedies that help ALOT with the itching and dry patches.

Back
Top Bottom