Everybody has a FaceBook account, by now, don't they? Do you have one?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Go post on the Discuss Cooking FB page! I'd love to see some new posts over there

I keep up with family and friends and play games too Andy. I'm of much the same opinion as you seem to be. Use your brain and don't post too much stuff about yourself. My permissions are intentionally set very high because of the population I work with. There have been many attempts by the kids I work with to "find" me on FB and guess what? They can't get in to my FB account, but they can find me on DC quite easily. Oops.

All of you who think you are so security conscious and feel that FB is too loosey goosey might want to rethink that a bit. Go over all your posts and see how much you've actually shared on here. I could find most of you pretty easily with some basic searching. (Not to scare you, but just to point this out)

Nothing to do with security for me...but dodging my Sister and a couple others on FB was too much of a chore.

Nothing to do with security for me...but dodging my Sister and a couple others on FB was too much of a chore.

No, not so much you PF, but others have mentioned "big brother" etc. If you're honestly worried about being "found" then you'd better be more worried about Google than FB.

Giggling a bit about dodging the sister on FB. I have my "chat" function disabled so folks can't always see when I'm online. Its tough to play my scrabble turns when folks are messaging me! Ah...first world problems. :rolleyes:

I'm very happy that I'm not one of the lemmings who followed the tail of the lemming in front of me to swim into the ocean and drown.

The problem with the Internet, with any site, is that once you've said it you can't un-say it.

If I can delete about 3-5 posts here on DC I'll appreciate if the moderators could let me know if that's okay and I'll tell you which ones. Yeah, I guess not. And DC is not FB.

At least I know my cooking and recipes will never come back to haunt me.

The problem with the Internet, with any site, is that once you've said it you can't un-say it.
Oh so true Greg. I think that's pretty much my point.

At least I know my cooking and recipes will never come back to haunt me.
From what I've seen, you don't do too much cooking because your stuff is all put away. Or did I miss something? ;)

...Go over all your posts and see how much you've actually shared on here. I could find most of you pretty easily with some basic searching. (Not to scare you, but just to point this out)

Over the years, I have often thought that I should keep lists of all the personal details people share here and see how complete a profile I could create. I never did. Some of you are very open in sharing personal details and it's available to anyone who finds this site.

I am by nature a private person who doesn't share personal information easily. Fear of internet bad guys makes me even more cautious.

I joined FB in 1997. I hate it. I'm trying to get my friends to switch to Google+. But, I would miss party and other social get together invitations if I quit. sigh

Andy, I think I have become too comfortable here and anyone who really wanted to could find me easily. Its a good thing I was sort of inept when I tried to place myself on our DC map. I missed by a mile. ;)

Heck. I'm in the phone book...a lot of you know my real first name. I just make sure I don't post anything I am ashamed of.

How do you delete it? I want out. I unfriended everyone. But that is all I seem to be able to do. I don't want to be on FaceBook at all. Too invasive.

I figured out how to get out of FB. Up in the right hand corner is access to "Your Account". I can't remember what I did, but I was looking at different parts and came across where you can 'quit' FB. YEA! I am out of FaceBook. Now if anyone wants to contact me, they can email me. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I post way more personal stuff here on DC then I do on FB but hey, I gotta talk to someone right? :ermm:

I figured out how to get out of FB. Up in the right hand corner is access to "Your Account". I can't remember what I did, but I was looking at different parts and came across where you can 'quit' FB. YEA! I am out of FaceBook. Now if anyone wants to contact me, they can email me. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Is that just quitting for that particular session though Addie, like Logging Out?

Andy, I think I have become too comfortable here and anyone who really wanted to could find me easily. Its a good thing I was sort of inept when I tried to place myself on our DC map. I missed by a mile. ;)

exactly a mile? in which direction? :ermm:

i have a fb account. i barely use it.

when i do, it's to keep in touch with certain real life friends that are fb junkies. they almost exclusively use fb to communicate with others.

i've had some trouble with it, though. an ex-gf won't leave me alone, and others i've met on various forums who i've befriended end up thinking i'm being unfriendly and rude because i don't chat with them on fb as often as they'd like. i just don't use it all that much.

the good thing is when i get a message there, my phone alerts me so i can check it out. otherwise, i rarely log in.

I am on Facebook. I love it.

For those who want to get out of it, you can't permanently delete your account, but if you go to your Account Settings, then to Security Settings you can "Deactivate" your account. For all intents and purposes this deletes your account (no one can go to your FB page, etc.), but if you decide at a later date to go back to it, you can reactivate your account. :cool:

Last edited:
i'm not sure about today (or, lol, in 5 minutes from now the way fb changes policy with minimum notification if at all) but you used to have to deactivate your account, then not attempt to log in again to your account for 2 weeks to have it take effect.

Nope, I don't and don't care to have one. That is just me, I guess. There are much more meaningful things to do with a computer than that...... trying for figure out what to have for dinner, read blogs (I love doing that), keeping in touch with family the old fashioned way, email, things for work, Stumble-upon, photo processing, getting the news, etc.

Back
Top Bottom