It's Fat Tuesday!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ronjohn55

Head Chef
Here in Detroit, that means it's Paczki day!!!!

Mmmmm..... 500 calorie donuts loaded with saturated fat...... <Insert Homer Simpson drooling sound here>

:angel:

John

Happy Fausnaught Day from Pennsylvania Dutch Country! Looking forward to lots of donughts! :)

Today is my "reading day" so I plan food that takes little preparation. In this case there is some leftover cassoulet that I turned into soup. We'll go into town to knock down a couple in honor of the occaision and come home to soup and bread. Although we aren't religious, with the exception of our birthdays, we'll try to be healthier for at least those 40 days.

Fat Tuesday :ermm: never heard of it before. Is it celebrated in IN or IL? Above all what the heck is it a day to eat anything and everything fatty?:ermm:

SizzlininIN said:
Fat Tuesday :ermm: never heard of it before. Is it celebrated in IN or IL? Above all what the heck is it a day to eat anything and everything fatty?:ermm:

Fat Tuesday is the Tuesday before Ash Wednesday, which is the beginning of Lent.

Fat Tuesday is the last chance for people to have a good time and to use up perishables such as butter, lard and other fats before they have to sacrifice for Lent.

SizzlininIN said:

Also referred to as "Mardi Gras" (French for 'fat tuesday'), which most Americans are familiar with.

Well the old adage "You learn something new everyday" is so very true. Now I'm off to research this a little further. Thanks everyone for the inf.

SizzlininIN said:
So Mardi Gras is tied to Lent?

Fat Tuesday is just celebrated in different ways in different areas. In Pennsylvania, we call it Fausnaught Day and celebrate by eating donoughts. In New Orleans, they call it Mardi Gras and celebrate it by having parades, throwing beads, and getting drunk.

hmmmm, as a pennsylvania resident, i just called it either fat tuesday or mardi gras. either way, i'm getting drunk.

then celebrating Lent.

luvs said:
hmmmm, as a pennsylvania resident, i just called it either fat tuesday or mardi gras. either way, i'm getting drunk.

then celebrating Lent.

ROFL We're boring here, we call it plain old Pancake Tuesday. :)

Yep, for some reason Mardi gras and fat tuesday are tied to lent, no idea why.

Anyway we had leftovers, meatloaf sandwiches.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom