Korai King Prawn

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

otuatail

Senior Cook
I ordered an indian take away Korai King Prawn. When I got this it had shrimps and king prawns. Would I be right in saying that this was not what I orderedor does a Korai have shrimps in as standard?

Thanks.

So after cruising around, I've found that Korai (aka karahi, kadhi, kadai) is really the name of the pot/utensil food is cooked in and therefore called Korai.

Absolutely none of the recipes I've found (so far) use either shrimp or prawns. It is usually chicken or lamb with vegies and lots of spices.

So I guess if the restaurant wants to make it with shrimp and/or prawns - their choice!

Hope it was as good as it sounds!

If order King Prawn which is more expensive than prawn then I am being ripped off.

It can not be their choice to sell me shrip instead of King Prawn or chicken instread of lamb.

Last edited:
How could you tell the difference between the shrimp and the prawns? Were the legs still on them?

Maybe they were all prawns but just different sizes?

Once cooked, especially in a curry, IMHO would think it difficult to tell the difference.

You may not be aware of this but a King Prawn is much larger than a shrimp. I did state in my opening thread that "I ordered an indian take away Korai King Prawn." maybe in america you don't have these or refere to them by another name.

Well, no we don't have them common here, at least in my area of Canada. As you say, when they are available they are pricey.

As they are not that common to me is the reason I looked them up on British Websites to see the differences, hence my answer.

Often here, they mix the names of Rock lobsters with giant prawns.

But getting back to your original post was if shrimps were standard in a Korai that you had ordered with King Prawns.

Perhaps they should have described their dish as a Korai of King Prawns & Shrimp. With the King Prawns being listed first then they should be the foremost ingredient. But it is still their choice - to add whatever else they choose. They probably didn't list the vegetables?

Was it at least tasty? Or did the feeling of being ripped off spoil your appetite? You should tell them that you are unhappy. Most restaurants don't mind helpful suggestions/criticism tactfully done.

Karhai King Prawn is basically a "curry" made in a karhai, or Indian-style wok, with a tomato/ginger sauce. Typically it´s made with chicken or lamb, so this could be a restaurant version.
Here´s my question:
Did it taste good?
And my second question is:
If you didn´t think it was all king prawns, why didn´t you take it back to the restaurant and complain?

Back
Top Bottom