Regional slang... inspired by Scott-180...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Never heard of that one, I visit Australia all the time.
Thongs= jandals, not thongs (underwear)
Gummies= gum boots
Singlet= wife beater

Russ

That's an old timey term, before hyper-sexualization began.

When I was a kid, we all had rubbers for our good school/church shoes.

I worked for an Australian company some years back and learned some strine (Australianese). One of my favorites was "He wouldn't know a tram was up him until the conductor rang the bell" (sort of like the American few bricks short of a full load). I was told that it was a Melbourne expression, and the company was based in Melbourne.

There was a pommie bastard (Englishman) who also worked for the company. He told the story of a young English schoolboy who had just arrived in the U.S. When he asked his teacher for an eraser, he used the English term, and the teacher was shocked when he said he needed a rubber.

Get your skates on= hurry up.
Sarny = sandwhich.
Boot= trunk
Bonnet=hood.
Side valve = flathead.

Russ

So, what do you call that footwear that is usually sturdier than a shoe and often rises above the ankle.

What do you call that fancy hat women wear for Easter (or Ascot opening day)

All that springs to mind is "dep" for convenience store. It's something English speakers say in Quebec. It means the convenience store, "Do you need anything? I'm going to the dep for some snacks?" It's short for the French word for convenience store, "dépanneur". I'm not sure if they use that word in France or just in Canadian French.

All that springs to mind is "dep" for convenience store. It's something English speakers say in Quebec. It means the convenience store, "Do you need anything? I'm going to the dep for some snacks?" It's short for the French word for convenience store, "dépanneur". I'm not sure if they use that word in France or just in Canadian French.

That would be called a Bodega here. When I was a kid, they were called candy stores.

The Hispanic influenced definition is more accurate, for the most part.

Another description would be a quickie-mart, from The Simpsons.

So, what do you call that footwear that is usually sturdier than a shoe and often rises above the ankle.

A boot, ? Hat or fascinator?

And the corner store or 24/7 we call it a dairy. Mainly because based on dairy products sold there.

Chippie = fish n chip shop.

Russ

I worked for an Australian company some years back and learned some strine (Australianese). One of my favorites was "He wouldn't know a tram was up him until the conductor rang the bell" (sort of like the American few bricks short of a full load). I was told that it was a Melbourne expression, and the company was based in Melbourne.

There was a pommie bastard (Englishman) who also worked for the company. He told the story of a young English schoolboy who had just arrived in the U.S. When he asked his teacher for an eraser, he used the English term, and the teacher was shocked when he said he needed a rubber.

Yes it's a Melbourne term. Lotsa trams there. We call erasers rubbers here too.

Condoms we call joes as well.

Russ

Many unrelated things are known by a single name. Why do we in America call a large suitcase or the storage area of a car the same word we use for an elephant’s nose?

In the short time I lived in South Texas, it took me a while to find out what "re-ale purty" meant. I always heard it as three separate words.

Era - late 60's
My late BIL (from OK) drew a room full of shocked silence when he looked at one of the babies at a family gathering (in Toronto) and said:- "Well, ain't you just the cutest little bugger."

Here the reference would be to say the person practiced buggery and was a horrid insult.

I'm not sure it hasn't lost some of its stigma but...
It is also used as an expletive single word that used to carry the same implication that the British expletive "bloody" used to carry.

With global media, world travel and people relocating miles from their birth places it is hard to distinguish what is 'colloquial' anymore.

Down here in the South, bugger does NOT mean the same thing, so I can assure you that your BIL was not being offensive... intentionally. :LOL:

But, that is a great example of what I was hoping for when I started this tread. Thanks!

CD

Back
Top Bottom