Waiting out the "zombie attack" - Covid-19 hunkering down activities

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm pretty much doing the same old thing. I'm a homebody and I'm still working (although limited hours) so things aren't much different. With the exception of not being able to jolt out of my house anytime I feel like it and go shopping. I'm one of those weirdos who truly enjoys grocery shopping and I miss it so much.

I've been avoiding the grocery store, unless I absolutely have to go, and doing most of my shopping online. That's about it.

Our real estate tax bill is due tomorrow. I usually just drive through the town hall lot on my way to the library and drop off the payment in their drop box. Easy-peasy. Well, it's sloppy cold weather outside, our library is closed...and I really didn't want to go out. Yay, I could pay online for a mere quarter! They used to charge more for a bank transfer, hence the drop-off trip. Hopefully we'll be back to library trips before the next payment in three months.

I...I'm a homebody...so things aren't much different. With the exception of not being able to jolt out of my house anytime I feel like it and go shopping. I'm one of those weirdos who truly enjoys grocery shopping and I miss it so much...
You ARE my sister from another mother, Linda! We're homebodies (Himself is a near hermit), and I love and miss grocery shopping. I miss browsing through the produce department. Now I just pick and roll.

You ARE my sister from another mother, Linda! We're homebodies (Himself is a near hermit), and I love and miss grocery shopping. I miss browsing through the produce department. Now I just pick and roll.

I do the same thing. Especially since I wear a mask when I go to the store. 10 minutes or less into my shopping trip, I feel like I'm suffocating and can't wait to hit the parking lot to get that thing off my face. Like you, I enjoyed grocery shopping. But now I hurry up to find the things I need (which is not always possible) so I can get the heck outta there. I just don't enjoy it anymore. And being the homebody that I am, it's really all I had as an 'outlet' to go do some "me time" and find yummy things for exciting new meals for my son and I.

:(

I've been walking uptown to a recently opened distillery. They are giving away hand sanitizer and selling their products, 2 hours a day, twice a week. I discovered they are selling green chile infused vodka. I couldn't imagine what that would be like, so I bought a bottle, you know, supporting a new local business. It is a bit unnerving smelling green chile as you raise a glass of spirits, but it really is good. This gets me out twice a week!

Bet that vodka would make a real nice Bloody Mary!

I do the same thing. Especially since I wear a mask when I go to the store. 10 minutes or less into my shopping trip, I feel like I'm suffocating and can't wait to hit the parking lot to get that thing off my face. Like you, I enjoyed grocery shopping. But now I hurry up to find the things I need (which is not always possible) so I can get the heck outta there. I just don't enjoy it anymore. And being the homebody that I am, it's really all I had as an 'outlet' to go do some "me time" and find yummy things for exciting new meals for my son and I.

:(
I went to a party once where someone had some jalapeño vodka. I can't remember what kind of drink they were making with it, but it was tasty.

Yes, I don't disagree, but I think it should be the right type of pepper(s) with both flavor and some heat - the types of peppers readily available here are limited, and I suspect that Jalapeno or Serrano, e.g., might provide heat, but not the sought after taste & heat on a uniform & lasting basis.

I feel it's likely the vodka maker infuses the spirits with the selected peppers during the distillation process to provide the overall non-varying and lasting taste they want to achieve.

Yes, I don't disagree, but I think it should be the right type of pepper(s) with both flavor and some heat - the types of peppers readily available here are limited, and I suspect that Jalapeno or Serrano, e.g., might provide heat, but not the sought after taste & heat on a uniform & lasting basis.

I feel it's likely the vodka maker infuses the spirits with the selected peppers during the distillation process to provide the overall non-varying and lasting taste they want to achieve.
They frequently use Hatch green chiles in New Mexico because they're pretty much the state fruit [emoji38] Any pepper you like can be used for this. As I mentioned above, I've had jalapeño-infused vodka and it was pretty good. Also, I see no reason why the distiller must have done the infusion during the distillation process, or why homemade has to be exactly the same as what a particular distiller made. I made limoncello last year and - horrors! - I used Meyer lemons instead of whatever they use in Italy. My friend of Italian descent said it was better than her mom's :chef:

"the overall non-varying and lasting taste they want to achieve"

I don't really understand this. Non-varying and lasting taste? What makes you think this is a goal for them?

Last edited:
Well, as an example, it took many years of trial and error for French spirit makers to perfect the taste of Gran Marnier to their liking, which involved widely testing out various distilling techniques for both the specific type of orange peel used, and well as the varying eau de vie, or cognac brandies, not to mention the ageing processes too.

A number of people I know, myself included, have tried to replicate GM at home, as well as several other different flavored spirits and liqueurs - but none that I recall were satisfied that the taste and finish of the home-made products they developed were as good or better than the store-bought version.

The actual distillers generally used the infusion distillation processes of their eventual choosing after much testing because they obviously must have felt the end product would have the most appeal as to taste, and would retain the most stability without undue deterioration over time.

I believe the same thinking applies to most, if not all, the different flavored distillery made products like the vodka product discussed here.

Others can think what they like, and I'll do the same. That's my .02.

The actual distillers generally used the infusion distillation processes of their eventual choosing after much testing because they obviously must have felt the end product would have the most appeal as to taste, and would retain the most stability without undue deterioration over time...

Others can think what they like, and I'll do the same. That's my .02.
Or maybe the process was less time-consuming and therefore more profitable? [emoji2368] I don't know, I've never tried to distill anything. But if you don't want to try it while presumably you have plenty of time, it's no skin off my nose, as they say [emoji38]

I guess you're looking for a standard of perfection that I don't feel the need to achieve. If I try something and it tastes good, it's a success as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited:
Agree. Or a Bloody Caesar!

Wish we could get that Vodka here in Canada - we usually get new spirits sometime after the U.S. has them - so maybe it'll show up here soon.

I would love a Bloody Caesar for my dinner tonight. I may have to settle for a V-8 juice with Hatch green chilies added. Not a big drinker, no vodka in the house and I'm not driving back to town tonight.:glare:

How hard could it be to infuse some vodka with hot peppers?

Well if did use a pepper you better make it one that counts and being so high up north you may not get the pepper you want.

How about some hot sauce instead??

I would love a Bloody Caesar for my dinner tonight. I may have to settle for a V-8 juice with Hatch green chilies added. Not a big drinker, no vodka in the house and I'm not driving back to town tonight.:glare:

Well, a bloody Mary made with V-8 is called a bloody granola. A bloody Mary with no booze is a Virgin Mary. So, your drink is a virgin granola . :LOL:

Well if did use a pepper you better make it one that counts and being so high up north you may not get the pepper you want.

How about some hot sauce instead??

I may not have the same choice of hot peppers you guys have, but I get a pretty good variety. If I wanted hot sauce in the vodka, I would probably just add it to the drink.

Well, a bloody Mary made with V-8 is called a bloody granola. A bloody Mary with no booze is a Virgin Mary. So, your drink is a virgin granola . :LOL:

I'll stick with V-8 with a tad of Tabasco and crushed celery seed. Wish I had the prawns to go with!

Here is the actual product. When I asked what the heck to you do with this stuff, the first recommendation was bloody mary. Since I keep a simple syrup on hand, I have only made a gimlet; 1 1/2 ounce vodka and 1/2 ounce simple syrup. There is no heat to this vodka, just an unmistakable green chile flavor.

Attachments

• IMG_2298.jpg
    IMG_2298.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_2299.jpg
    IMG_2299.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 99
Well, so far I haven't done a darn thing with my sketching pencils... but I did darn a pair of sox. [emoji38] However, I think one home schooling mom found a project for her kids. I guess you have to be creative when you can't go door-to-door...
IMG_20200507_013605059.jpg

Cooking Goddess, I realize this is a year old thread but I was wondering if you found some good sketching paper?

I had started, or restarted an old hobby of drawing and watercolor painting.

For sketching, or light water coloring, I liked the Canson Montval watercolor paper coil bound sets in the 300 grams/sq meter and the Canson Mix Media 160 g/m coil bound book. Both have detachable pages. I use heavy arches or legion stonehenge paper for more wet endeavors.

I'm more of a painter and less of a sketcher but there are FB groups focused on sketching and drawing. The stuff I saw there is phenomenal. People will share their opinions on drawing and sketching supplies there, and another resource for materials is youtube.

Back
Top Bottom