"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-30-2020, 05:11 PM   #41
Sous Chef
 
Linda0818's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 965
I'm pretty much doing the same old thing. I'm a homebody and I'm still working (although limited hours) so things aren't much different. With the exception of not being able to jolt out of my house anytime I feel like it and go shopping. I'm one of those weirdos who truly enjoys grocery shopping and I miss it so much.

I've been avoiding the grocery store, unless I absolutely have to go, and doing most of my shopping online. That's about it.
__________________

Linda0818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 05:46 PM   #42
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Cooking Goddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Body in MA ~ Heart in OH
Posts: 13,632
Our real estate tax bill is due tomorrow. I usually just drive through the town hall lot on my way to the library and drop off the payment in their drop box. Easy-peasy. Well, it's sloppy cold weather outside, our library is closed...and I really didn't want to go out. Yay, I could pay online for a mere quarter! They used to charge more for a bank transfer, hence the drop-off trip. Hopefully we'll be back to library trips before the next payment in three months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda0818 View Post
I...I'm a homebody...so things aren't much different. With the exception of not being able to jolt out of my house anytime I feel like it and go shopping. I'm one of those weirdos who truly enjoys grocery shopping and I miss it so much...
You ARE my sister from another mother, Linda! We're homebodies (Himself is a near hermit), and I love and miss grocery shopping. I miss browsing through the produce department. Now I just pick and roll.
__________________

__________________
“You shouldn’t wait to be senile before you become eccentric.”— Helene Truter

"Remember, all that matters in the end is getting the meal on the table." ~ Julia Child
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 05:58 PM   #43
Sous Chef
 
Linda0818's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post

You ARE my sister from another mother, Linda! We're homebodies (Himself is a near hermit), and I love and miss grocery shopping. I miss browsing through the produce department. Now I just pick and roll.
I do the same thing. Especially since I wear a mask when I go to the store. 10 minutes or less into my shopping trip, I feel like I'm suffocating and can't wait to hit the parking lot to get that thing off my face. Like you, I enjoyed grocery shopping. But now I hurry up to find the things I need (which is not always possible) so I can get the heck outta there. I just don't enjoy it anymore. And being the homebody that I am, it's really all I had as an 'outlet' to go do some "me time" and find yummy things for exciting new meals for my son and I.

Linda0818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 06:44 AM   #44
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 38,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethzaring View Post
I've been walking uptown to a recently opened distillery. They are giving away hand sanitizer and selling their products, 2 hours a day, twice a week. I discovered they are selling green chile infused vodka. I couldn't imagine what that would be like, so I bought a bottle, you know, supporting a new local business. It is a bit unnerving smelling green chile as you raise a glass of spirits, but it really is good. This gets me out twice a week!
Bet that vodka would make a real nice Bloody Mary!
__________________
“There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.” - Albert Einstein
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 08:48 AM   #45
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 24,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda0818 View Post
I do the same thing. Especially since I wear a mask when I go to the store. 10 minutes or less into my shopping trip, I feel like I'm suffocating and can't wait to hit the parking lot to get that thing off my face. Like you, I enjoyed grocery shopping. But now I hurry up to find the things I need (which is not always possible) so I can get the heck outta there. I just don't enjoy it anymore. And being the homebody that I am, it's really all I had as an 'outlet' to go do some "me time" and find yummy things for exciting new meals for my son and I.

I went to a party once where someone had some jalapeño vodka. I can't remember what kind of drink they were making with it, but it was tasty.
__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 09:59 AM   #46
Sous Chef
 
Linda0818's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 965
Sounds like something that would blow me outta my chair, haha.
Linda0818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 10:17 AM   #47
Senior Cook
 
Recipes Make Magic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Posts: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Bet that vodka would make a real nice Bloody Mary!
Agree. Or a Bloody Caesar!

Wish we could get that Vodka here in Canada - we usually get new spirits sometime after the U.S. has them - so maybe it'll show up here soon.
__________________
Regards,
Paul
Recipes Make Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 10:44 AM   #48
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 23,246
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
How hard could it be to infuse some vodka with hot peppers?
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 12:11 PM   #49
Senior Cook
 
Recipes Make Magic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Posts: 398
Yes, I don't disagree, but I think it should be the right type of pepper(s) with both flavor and some heat - the types of peppers readily available here are limited, and I suspect that Jalapeno or Serrano, e.g., might provide heat, but not the sought after taste & heat on a uniform & lasting basis.


I feel it's likely the vodka maker infuses the spirits with the selected peppers during the distillation process to provide the overall non-varying and lasting taste they want to achieve.
__________________
Regards,
Paul
Recipes Make Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 12:43 PM   #50
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 24,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recipes Make Magic View Post
Yes, I don't disagree, but I think it should be the right type of pepper(s) with both flavor and some heat - the types of peppers readily available here are limited, and I suspect that Jalapeno or Serrano, e.g., might provide heat, but not the sought after taste & heat on a uniform & lasting basis.

I feel it's likely the vodka maker infuses the spirits with the selected peppers during the distillation process to provide the overall non-varying and lasting taste they want to achieve.
They frequently use Hatch green chiles in New Mexico because they're pretty much the state fruit Any pepper you like can be used for this. As I mentioned above, I've had jalapeño-infused vodka and it was pretty good. Also, I see no reason why the distiller must have done the infusion during the distillation process, or why homemade has to be exactly the same as what a particular distiller made. I made limoncello last year and - horrors! - I used Meyer lemons instead of whatever they use in Italy. My friend of Italian descent said it was better than her mom's

"the overall non-varying and lasting taste they want to achieve"

I don't really understand this. Non-varying and lasting taste? What makes you think this is a goal for them?
__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 03:23 PM   #51
Senior Cook
 
Recipes Make Magic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Posts: 398
Well, as an example, it took many years of trial and error for French spirit makers to perfect the taste of Gran Marnier to their liking, which involved widely testing out various distilling techniques for both the specific type of orange peel used, and well as the varying eau de vie, or cognac brandies, not to mention the ageing processes too.

A number of people I know, myself included, have tried to replicate GM at home, as well as several other different flavored spirits and liqueurs - but none that I recall were satisfied that the taste and finish of the home-made products they developed were as good or better than the store-bought version.


The actual distillers generally used the infusion distillation processes of their eventual choosing after much testing because they obviously must have felt the end product would have the most appeal as to taste, and would retain the most stability without undue deterioration over time.


I believe the same thinking applies to most, if not all, the different flavored distillery made products like the vodka product discussed here.


Others can think what they like, and I'll do the same. That's my .02.
__________________
Regards,
Paul
Recipes Make Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 03:53 PM   #52
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 24,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recipes Make Magic View Post
The actual distillers generally used the infusion distillation processes of their eventual choosing after much testing because they obviously must have felt the end product would have the most appeal as to taste, and would retain the most stability without undue deterioration over time...

Others can think what they like, and I'll do the same. That's my .02.
Or maybe the process was less time-consuming and therefore more profitable? I don't know, I've never tried to distill anything. But if you don't want to try it while presumably you have plenty of time, it's no skin off my nose, as they say

I guess you're looking for a standard of perfection that I don't feel the need to achieve. If I try something and it tastes good, it's a success as far as I'm concerned.
__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 05:47 PM   #53
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 38,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recipes Make Magic View Post
Agree. Or a Bloody Caesar!

Wish we could get that Vodka here in Canada - we usually get new spirits sometime after the U.S. has them - so maybe it'll show up here soon.
I would love a Bloody Caesar for my dinner tonight. I may have to settle for a V-8 juice with Hatch green chilies added. Not a big drinker, no vodka in the house and I'm not driving back to town tonight.
__________________
“There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.” - Albert Einstein
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 05:58 PM   #54
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 4,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
How hard could it be to infuse some vodka with hot peppers?
Well if did use a pepper you better make it one that counts and being so high up north you may not get the pepper you want.

How about some hot sauce instead??
__________________
Have you had your habanero pepper today????
The hotter the pepper, the better the pepper!!!
kleenex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 06:04 PM   #55
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 23,246
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I would love a Bloody Caesar for my dinner tonight. I may have to settle for a V-8 juice with Hatch green chilies added. Not a big drinker, no vodka in the house and I'm not driving back to town tonight.
Well, a bloody Mary made with V-8 is called a bloody granola. A bloody Mary with no booze is a Virgin Mary. So, your drink is a virgin granola .
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 06:06 PM   #56
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 23,246
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by kleenex View Post
Well if did use a pepper you better make it one that counts and being so high up north you may not get the pepper you want.

How about some hot sauce instead??
I may not have the same choice of hot peppers you guys have, but I get a pretty good variety. If I wanted hot sauce in the vodka, I would probably just add it to the drink.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 06:14 PM   #57
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 38,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Well, a bloody Mary made with V-8 is called a bloody granola. A bloody Mary with no booze is a Virgin Mary. So, your drink is a virgin granola .
I'll stick with V-8 with a tad of Tabasco and crushed celery seed. Wish I had the prawns to go with!
__________________
“There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.” - Albert Einstein
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 09:37 AM   #58
Master Chef
 
bethzaring's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Northern New Mexico
Posts: 5,207
Here is the actual product. When I asked what the heck to you do with this stuff, the first recommendation was bloody mary. Since I keep a simple syrup on hand, I have only made a gimlet; 1 1/2 ounce vodka and 1/2 ounce simple syrup. There is no heat to this vodka, just an unmistakable green chile flavor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2298.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	40727   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2299.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	40728  

__________________
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead
bethzaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 01:00 AM   #59
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Cooking Goddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Body in MA ~ Heart in OH
Posts: 13,632
Well, so far I haven't done a darn thing with my sketching pencils... but I did darn a pair of sox. However, I think one home schooling mom found a project for her kids. I guess you have to be creative when you can't go door-to-door...
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200507_013605059.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	40822
__________________

__________________
“You shouldn’t wait to be senile before you become eccentric.”— Helene Truter

"Remember, all that matters in the end is getting the meal on the table." ~ Julia Child
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
×