What are you smoking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Alix ~~ I buy the best quality "Smoked" Ham I can find and "Smoke" it again. In some circles this is called a 'Double Smoked Ham'. ~~ I 'cook' the ham to a 140*+ internal temperature. ~ At 250* more or less, this can take several hours depending on the size of the ham...or portion thereof. ~ If the ham has (most do) a layer of fat I trim it off...Not gonna eat it anyway. ~ To me, this process makes the ham more dense in texture due to the 'added water' being cooked out. ~ Obviously the process lays on another layer of smoke flavor ~ During the long (hours) cooking process, caution should be exercised so as not to 'Over Smoke' the ham...A little dab will do ya!

Enjoy!

Last edited:
UB, thanks so much! Do you think I could do this in my BBQ? I don't have a hot smoker, so I was thinking that if I turned the heat to low in the BBQ, put a pan of chips down on top it SHOULD work. Any idea?

Alix, you use a conventional smoker? I've been anxious to try salmon in my stove top smoker, but my husband claims he doesn't like salmon. He loves his bagels and lox, so I don't get it. I don't like grilled salmon either, but smoked salmon is another story I think.
I have an assortment of wood chips that came with the smoker so I'm paying close attention here. Good to know about the pecan wood, Frank, and I have some!

What is being discussed here is a hot smoked product. Cold smoking yields a moister fish, however it must be eaten soon. Lox is neither hot smoked, nor cold smoked. It is simply brined then kept in the fridge with a heavy wieght on it for about 5 to 7 days and it is ready. Gravlox is similar but flavored with dill. I realize this is too simple, just do a search of recipes.

Nova lox is smoked.

When I was doing some looking into this I think the traditional lox was not smoked, just brined. It also appears historically that "lox" was any brined fish in this manner and not just salmon. I think times they changed. :)

I think "lox" is Yiddish for salmon. In Danish the word for salmon is "laks". Lox is usually smoked. Actually, I've never heard of lox that isn't smoked. Brined and not smoked is gravad laks. That means "buried salmon". That's how they used to do it before refrigeration.

ForumRunner_20120524_190015.jpg

This was a couple of months back before I joined. It was 117 lbs. Cooked from 9 pm till 2 pm it was for work. Brine was for about a week. It was epic.

leasingthisspace said:
This was a couple of months back before I joined. It was 117 lbs. Cooked from 9 pm till 2 pm it was for work. Brine was for about a week. It was epic.

Whoa. Nice pig!

I think "lox" is Yiddish for salmon. In Danish the word for salmon is "laks". Lox is usually smoked. Actually, I've never heard of lox that isn't smoked. Brined and not smoked is gravad laks. That means "buried salmon". That's how they used to do it before refrigeration.

Wikipedia: Gravlax

'grav' = "grave" + 'lax' or 'laks' = "salmon"

Wikipedia: Lox

"The term lox derives from Lachs in German and לאקס (laks) in Yiddish, meaning "salmon". It is a cognate of Icelandic and Swedish lax, Danish and Norwegian laks, and Old English læx."

Whatever it is, it's pretty good stuff. I can buy pretty good salmon (good enough for sashimi) and I'm tempted to try the brining.

I'm drooling. I'm doing some more salmon today. I have a piece of cod I might do as well. I am also in serious envy over a friends BDay gift. The top of the line combo bbq smoker. Its GORGEOUS.

Wikipedia: Gravlax

'grav' = "grave" + 'lax' or 'laks' = "salmon"

Wikipedia: Lox

"The term lox derives from Lachs in German and לאקס (laks) in Yiddish, meaning "salmon". It is a cognate of Icelandic and Swedish lax, Danish and Norwegian laks, and Old English læx."

Whatever it is, it's pretty good stuff. I can buy pretty good salmon (good enough for sashimi) and I'm tempted to try the brining.
Another Swedish fish preparation method where it is actually buried:

Surströmming - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I've never tried it--it does sound as if it is an acquired taste.

Back
Top Bottom