Beef Burgundy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claire

Master Chef
Gee, how did I forget to spell this in French. Brain fart.

I must have a hundred recipes for it, but anyone have anything new to add? I'm making it for Christmas dinner because I just got inspired by Julia when watching her very first TV show. The main question I have is what cut of beef is the best for this dish? I'm planning on making the potato dish from the Jacques and Julia cookbook (anyone made it? I have twice and it is spectacular and easy -- mashed potatoes, cheeese and leavening ... yummm). My old standby tends to be a cucumber salad.

Hmmm, would that be Beef (Boeuf) Bourguignon? If so, I use chuck, and the recipe from Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook, page 490. It's moved up my 'to do" list and I'll be making it again in January, unless I cave again and do Beef Stroganoff. :LOL:

I just flipped on the tube to plug in what I plan to watch tonite and Rachel Ray will be doing it on 30 Minute Meals, 5 p.m. Monday, Frostbite Falls time. Obviously, it will be an abbreviated version, but you might find it to be of some interest.

Otter said:
I just flipped on the tube to plug in what I plan to watch tonite and Rachel Ray will be doing it on 30 Minute Meals, 5 p.m. Monday, Frostbite Falls time. Obviously, it will be an abbreviated version, but you might find it to be of some interest.

You can't make Beef Bourguignon in 30 minutes. It is a dish deserving of the long slow cooking that makes it a classic. RR uses very $$$ meat and cooks hers for,as I recall, maybe 12 minutes. It's like making beef stew or pot roast in 12 minutes using filet mignon.

I usually use chuck and I usually use this recipe, which is very good: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/104754

I was just looking at my Mastering the Art of French cooking and thought of making this this weekend!

Epicurious has this recipe, too, supposedly Julia's (http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/102144) but seems difft. than the Mastering recipe.

Have never made J and J potatoes, but will look that recipe up in the book when I get home. I assume it is a gratin, no?

Thanks so much. In my 200 or so cookbooks (and I'm not even going through the 20+ years of Gourmet mags), I'm sure I'll come up with a recipe I like. But there is nothing like personal experience, especially for finding that perfect cut of beef for the perfect dish. Lately I've gotten meat that was TOO lean for many of my recipes, and I don't want to do that Christmas dinner.

RE: "You can't make Beef Bourguignon in 30 minutes. "
I realize that. The prep work takes me at least that long before I even put it in the oven, and then there's a long cooking time, but I thought that she might find something of interest in the show.

Claire said:
Lately I've gotten meat that was TOO lean for many of my recipes, and I don't want to do that Christmas dinner.
I leave the round and sirloin to others, there's nothing like chuck for me. I use chuck exclusively for the lower priced cuts and go to ribeye steaks for an occasional treat.

I use Julia's recipe from Julia and Jacques Cooking at Home. I make it with chuck and it cooks for a couple of hours.

Back
Top Bottom