Savoury beef roll with red wine sauce (pressure cooker recipe)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

urmaniac13

Executive Chef
This is equally delicious with either similar cuts of pork or veal. I prefer using a pressure cooker for this type of recipe, as the meat tend to remain moist and tender, but if you prefer it also can be cooked in the oven, at about 180F/350C, but I suggest covering the baking dish for about an hour, then remove the cover and let it brown slightly for about another quarter of hour.

Ingredients:
  • about 600g/20oz chunk of beef, something like chuck roast, sirloin or tenderloin
  • 5-6 thin slices of smoky canadian bacon (if available, I recommend SPECK instead...)
  • sprigs of herbs (thyme, rosemary, maggioram) -- preferably fresh ones, but dried version will do also
  • handful of flat leaved parsley
  • 450ml/16oz red wine
  • small handful of green peppercorns
  • 1 bayleaf
pound flat or slice open the beef to 6-7mm / 1/4in. thickness. Arrange evenly the bacon, herbs and parsley over the beef. Roll it up like "swiss roll cake" then tie it securely with a cooking cord.
Pour the wine into the pressure cooker, then the peppercorns and bayleaf. put the meat in the rack, place it in the pressure cooker.
Secure the lid, cook, firstly over the high heat, once it hits the peak point reduce the heat and cook it for 40 min. (a little less, circa 30min. if you use tenderloin)
Remove the meat, then continue to cook the liquid uncovered for some minutes until it thickens (if necessary, add about 1tsp of corn flour dissolved in tiny amount of water).
Drizzle the liquid over the meat as a sauce, and serve.

jkath said:
Is this something that can be prepared in an oven or slow cooker? (I don't have a pressure cooker)

Yes, it can be done in the normal oven, too. Preheat the oven about 180C/350F, cover it with foil and bake it for about an hour, then take off the cover, re-baste the meat and continue cooking for another 1/4ish of hour or until thoroughly cooked. Pour out the extra liquid into sauce pan, let it cook for some minutes until the sauce thickens, if necessary add about 1 tsp of corn flour dissolved in small amount of water.

Buon Appetito!!:chef:

Last edited:
Cooking meat or poultry at 180 degrees is not safe. It's a recipe for food poisoning.:sick:

The internal temperature of the food will take too long to reach 140°F, meanwhile bacteria is multiplying rapidly.
Some bacteria produce toxins that aren’t killed by heat.

The USDA says the minimum safe oven temperature is 325. I think that's a bit high, but certainly anything below 200 is unsafe.

This recipe looks good but I'd bring to a simmer on the stove and then cook in the oven at at least 250-300.

gwkr36a said:
I think she reversed her letters (180c/350f) ?

Oopsie that is right... 180C / 350F is correct... Sorry about that I will fix it right now!! Mamma mia, why can't we all just use one measures for everything, temperature, amount, weight, length and all... it gets too confusing!!:mad:

Speck is a specialty from Northern Italy (Alto Adige, Trentino). It is a sort of smoked prosciuto (italian raw ham), but as prosciuto usually loses its flavour after it gets cooked, speck is delicious either eaten as is or cooked. You can usually substitute bacon in recipes with speck (unless the recipe requires substantial amount of bacon fat), it is much leaner than bacon and flavour is very full and rich. If you like bacon or smokey ham, you would love it... try a good deli or specialty shop/supermarket specializes in imported/international items!!

Here's a little more infor in details!!

http://www.italiancookingandliving.com/food/essentials/speck.html

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom