"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-01-2018, 07:52 PM   #41
Master Chef
 
Rocklobster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Ottawa Valley, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 6,651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
American pork is so lean now days, I've been known to wrap thick pork loin slices in bacon before frying, just like a bacon wrapped Filet Mignon.
The fattier chops come from the rib end of the back loin. Called end chops from one end or or rib chops from the other..one good way to enjoy the fat is to get them cut thin, season and fry on high so you get a good crispy char on the fat...
http://www.foodsubs.com/MeatPorkLoin.html
Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 09:13 PM   #42
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 14,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
The fattier chops come from the rib end of the back loin. Called end chops from one end or or rib chops from the other..one good way to enjoy the fat is to get them cut thin, season and fry on high so you get a good crispy char on the fat...
Cook's Thesaurus: Pork Loin Cuts

Nice link Roch. I'm talking about bacon wrapping a thick pork sirloin cutlet = pork cutlet. Sorry about the bold..it C&P that way.
__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 09:29 PM   #43
Master Chef
 
Rocklobster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Ottawa Valley, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 6,651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Nice link Roch. I'm talking about bacon wrapping a thick pork sirloin cutlet = pork cutlet. Sorry about the bold..it C&P that way.
Sure..I got that..I was just saying that you can get fattier chops if that is what you like..they usually hide them under the bone in center cut chops when you buy a family pack..
Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 09:42 PM   #44
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 14,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
Sure..I got that..I was just saying that you can get fattier chops if that is what you like..they usually hide them under the bone in center cut chops when you buy a family pack..

Gotcha and thanks.
__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 01:39 PM   #45
Executive Chef
 
Just Cooking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Springfield, MO
Posts: 4,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
Sure..I got that..I was just saying that you can get fattier chops if that is what you like..they usually hide them under the bone in center cut chops when you buy a family pack..
That is so true... First store that came to mind is Walmart..

Ross
__________________
Disclaimer: My experiences may not be as someone else might think correct.. Life goes on..
Just Cooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 10:55 AM   #46
Executive Chef
 
RPCookin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Logan County, Colorado
Posts: 2,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
Sure..I got that..I was just saying that you can get fattier chops if that is what you like..they usually hide them under the bone in center cut chops when you buy a family pack..
We used to be able to get either rib chops or loin chops in the meat case at the supermarket, but some time back they quit offering the rib chops, which have always been my preferred cut, just as I prefer bone in beef rib steaks when I have steak. I assume that some change in the way they butcher and package eliminated the good rib chops, because I don't even see them much in the packages of mixed pork chops either. It's like all of a sudden, hogs quit growing rib chops, like some mutation or something. I know it likely has to do with the change in the overall image of reducing the fatty image of pork, but in my opinion, it's stupid.

I'll have to talk to the butcher in the small grocery store in town (our only option aside from Walmart) some day and see what he can do for me. I haven't really explored all of my local options... I know I can get custom cuts if I drive the 50 miles to the Safeway in Sidney, Nebraska - they have a pretty decent butcher department there.
__________________
Rick
RPCookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 10:59 AM   #47
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 47,726
Your supermarket butcher dept. should be willing to cut you rib chops.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 12:46 AM   #48
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 22,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Your supermarket butcher dept. should be willing to cut you rib chops.
Pirate loves his pork chops really thick. So when he goes to Market Basket he doesn't even waste his time at the meat display. He rings the bell and one of the butchers will come out to see what he wants. They are now used to him asking for 2 inch chops with the back fat left on. He always buys two. I cannot finish mine. So I just cut a couple of pieces off and give him the rest of what is left. Any supermarket store that has butchers in the back room will cut them to your specifications. But of course you know it will cost you more. They are hand processed and prime meat.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 07:33 AM   #49
Master Chef
 
Mad Cook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North West England
Posts: 5,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Pirate loves his pork chops really thick. So when he goes to Market Basket he doesn't even waste his time at the meat display. He rings the bell and one of the butchers will come out to see what he wants. They are now used to him asking for 2 inch chops with the back fat left on. He always buys two. I cannot finish mine. So I just cut a couple of pieces off and give him the rest of what is left. Any supermarket store that has butchers in the back room will cut them to your specifications. But of course you know it will cost you more. They are hand processed and prime meat.
If you ever get tired of the Pirate can I have him, please? The more I hear about him the more I like him.
__________________
Dont look for the light at the end of the tunnel. Stomp along and switch the bl**dy thing on yourself.
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 09:34 PM   #50
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 22,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
If you ever get tired of the Pirate can I have him, please? The more I hear about him the more I like him.
He is all yours. And considering his father comes from the Lakes District, (Cockermouth) he has that accent down pat. He will fit right in.

Sometimes I have to laugh at him. He will be telling me a story about when his father would take him to a ballgame, and when his side was losing, he would start yelling and that heavy accent would come out.

And one of the benefits he brings is that he LOVES to cook.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 04:53 AM   #51
Chef Extraordinaire
 
buckytom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: My mountain
Posts: 21,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
He is all yours. And considering his father comes from the Lakes District, (Cockermouth) he has that accent down pat. He will fit right in.
.

I'm not touching that one.

Where's Casey?
__________________
The past is gone it's all been said.
So here's to what the future brings,
I know tomorrow you'll find better things
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
butter, pepper, pork, pork chops, recipe, rosemary, salt

My simple pork chop method Hi everyone, This is the first recipe I have ever posted and it is a very, very simple one but I have to start somewhere! I went to the butchers and asked for the biggest, beast of a pork chop that they had. I'm sure it's small by American standards but this is what they gave me. [ATTACH]31633[/ATTACH] I followed some instructions given to me by my friend, starting off by patting it dry before adding lots of salt, pepper and some finely chopped rosemary. I then sealed the chop, in a hot skillet with a little butter, on each side until caramelised and brown, making sure to turn it on its edge so as to cook the fat. then I popped it in the oven at 200C (391F) for 10 minutes. For a beginner like me, I was pretty happy with the results! :chef: [ATTACH]31634[/ATTACH] 3 stars 1 reviews
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.