American Antelope

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
Since moving in with my son. I have had the opportunity to try antelope that he harvested. It was ground. The flavor and texture are superb, similar too beef, but richer.

He takes great care in treating the meat properly, immediately field dressing, butchering into primals, and placing in coolers filled with ice to bring the meat temp. down. He stated hat he had friends who didn't like antelope. He watched the friends treatment of the meat. The people would drag the antelope by the horns back to their vehicle and then home to start cleaning and butchering. The inside temp of the animal is already close to 100', and doesn't cool due to ambient temps. The outside temp is between 50' F., and 80', depending on weather swings during the Montana season. By the time the meat is butchered, it has begun to spoil, giving the meat an off flavor. In Madigan's U.P., we really just field dressed our venison, drained it, and let it hang fo5 to 10 days, as outside temps were in the mid 30's to low 49's.

So, if you are going to hunt venison, antelope, elk, or other wild game, treat the meat properly, and with respect. You will get much more enjoyment from it.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

We live in SE Wyoming, perfect range for the pronghorn. When we hunt, we pack a large cooler with block ice in plastic bags. Very soon after field dressing, we put a block or two of ice inside the carcass and cover it with a reflective blanket, which cools it quickly.

Then we call it a day, rather than continuing to hunt. Some folks heave it in the bed of the pickup and drive around for hours in the sun. I do the skinning immediately and butcher the following day.

In nearly thirty years, I've never had a rank or gamy tasting antelope. The Shoshone regarded pronghorn as one of the best wild meats, with a young one at the top of their list for honored guests.

My favorite way to cut and prepare it is in roasts— I never slice steaks since it tends to dry out. It gets salted, peppered, and browned, then goes in a slow (200-250°) oven to an internal temp of 120° or so: really rare.

Here's some with a wild currant reduction.

HqOcGjN.jpg

Last edited:
This is also how I feel about treating game. None of the wild meats that I have eaten (deer, moose, bear, porcupine, snowshoe hare) ever tasted "gamy". I have long said that you could make a beef cow taste gamy if you shot it; stood around taking photos with the cow before gutting it; strapped it to the hood of your car; and then drove for two hours.

Yes, I have seen cars on the autoroute with deer strapped to the hood. :ermm:

I've had all of the above except porcupine. What's that like?

When I was a ski-and-climbing bum, a neighbor in our cluster of shacks trapped beaver and muskrat. As he was skinning and stretching the pelts, he would stuff beavertail and muskrat drumsticks into a bag and lug them home.

The former is good grilled over coals. Muskrat has a strong taste and works best in stew.

Porcupine is really delicious, a bit reminiscent of pork. I have been told that the liver will be virtually inedible due to the flavour, if the critters have been eating a lot of pine.

How do you skin a porcupine? Very carefully.

The quills are used in Native American beadwork. My eldest sister used to incorporate them into her fancy dancer clothing beadwork for members of our tribe. Once the sharp edges are removed from the quills, they are used like liquid silver.

Me, i just kept my dogs away from the critters.:ohmy:

Seeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom