Venison summer sausage...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cheryl J

Chef Extraordinaire
I posted a comment on salt and pepper's venison bologna thread, which led to comments about venison summer sausage. :) I remember making that years ago with my now ex hubby...anyway, I recall it being pretty amazing. :yum: Taxlady, here is what I know. lol.

What I remember is mixing ground venison with maybe a third ratio of either ground pork or beef to get a little fat in the mixture, adding some curing salts and spices such as garlic, mustard seed, hickory salts, pepper etc., and letting it cure in the fridge for a couple of days. I remember mixing it up every few hours and letting the curing salts and spices do their thing.

We would then roll it up into logs, wrap it in aluminum foil, pierce it, and put it into the oven at the lowest temp possible - maybe 200 - and let it cook for several hours. This was before we had a smoker. :)

It was very good.

Salt and Pepper probably has much better ideas, it sounds like she has been doing the venison thing for a long time now. :) Maybe she will chime in. :wub:

I posted a comment on salt and pepper's venison bologna thread, which led to comments about venison summer sausage. :) I remember making that years ago with my now ex hubby...anyway, I recall it being pretty amazing. :yum: Taxlady, here is what I know. lol.

What I remember is mixing ground venison with maybe a third ratio of either ground pork or beef to get a little fat in the mixture, adding some curing salts and spices such as garlic, mustard seed, hickory salts, pepper etc., and letting it cure in the fridge for a couple of days. I remember mixing it up every few hours and letting the curing salts and spices do their thing.

We would then roll it up into logs, wrap it in aluminum foil, pierce it, and put it into the oven at the lowest temp possible - maybe 200 - and let it cook for several hours. This was before we had a smoker. :)

It was very good.

Salt and Pepper probably has much better ideas, it sounds like she has been doing the venison thing for a long time now. :) Maybe she will chime in. :wub:
She, is a he!, my name is Joey. Yes men cook, and mosty better then an average woman, (mabe I should not have said that) But you guys know me ( and ladies ) so any ?s I will be happy to answer.

OMG, :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

This cracks me up!

Joey, so glad you feel pretty! (You are adorable! :wub:). And you are too, Cheryl!

Last edited:
Truth to that, over in the cities! :ROFLMAO: I'm fortunate to be in a rather sleepy little town near the southern Sierra Nevadas, where hay trucks, 4 wheel drives, and ATV's rule. :LOL:

Of course men cook. When it comes to game, you bag it, you cook it. Or so my daddy told me. I do what I'm told and stay out of the kitchen during those times.

Back
Top Bottom