Doctors call for kitchen knife ban

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

htc

Head Chef
How would your cooking be impacted if you didn't have a kitchen knife to use? At home and in the restaurant kitchen? I personally like my kitchen knife and use it a lot!

====================
http://www.cnn.com/2005/HEALTH/05/27/kitchen.knives.ap/index.html
Three emergency-room doctors called Friday for long, pointed kitchen knives to be banned in a bid to reduce the number of stabbings in Britain.

Writing in the British Medical Journal, three doctors from London's West Middle*** University Hospital said that at least half of stabbing cases involved kitchen knives. Long, pointed knives serve no useful purpose in kitchens, they argued.

"Many assaults are impulsive, often triggered by alcohol or misuse of other drugs, and the long pointed kitchen knife is an easily available potentially lethal weapon, particularly in the domestic setting," wrote Emma Hern, Will Glazebrook and Mike Beckett in an editorial for the journal.

"Government action to ban the sale of such knives would drastically reduce their availability over the course of a few years."

Knives are the most common murder weapon in Britain, where guns are difficult to obtain. Prime Minister Tony Blair's government has announced plans to make knives harder to buy and to raise the minimum age for ownership from 16 to 18.

The doctors said pointed knives were much more likely to penetrate deeply and cause serious injury than either blunt-nosed or short-bladed designs.

The doctors argued that the use of dagger-type pointed knives rather than the blunt-tipped variety owed more to tradition than culinary necessity. Diners haven't used knife tips to spear their food since forks were introduced in the 18th century, they said.

The authors said a survey of 10 chefs had confirmed their view.

"Some commented that a point is useful in the fine preparation of some meat and vegetables, but that this could be done with a short pointed knife (less than five centimeters (two inches) in length)," they wrote.

"None gave a reason why the long pointed knife was essential."

I would like to see them try to take away my knives with points!

They might eventually "get" the point!

a 9mm is especially effective in pounding chicken breasts, then convincing your guests how tasty the food is...

buckytom said:
a 9mm is especially effective in pounding chicken breasts, then convincing your guests how tasty the food is...

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Are you sure you wouldn't like seconds!!!!

Last edited:
Why don't they call for a ban on food. It's the primary cause of choking deaths worldwide!

Idiots!

Barbara L said:
And don't forget to ban paper napkins. Infections from paper cuts could be deadly!

:rolleyes: Barbara

Barbara, those paper cuts (especially in the corner of your lips), are Really painful. lol.

oh, give me a break. that is the silliest thing. what are they gonna do, go door to door and dig through the untensil drawer of each person?

Back
Top Bottom