Fall Soup Season?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Soup base ready to rock in the oven

Attachments

• 19C869E4-3E19-48DB-BEB4-FD0881AECF9C.jpg
    19C869E4-3E19-48DB-BEB4-FD0881AECF9C.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 48
Do you make your own stock, or use cans or cartons?

I save trimmings and bones and such, and keep a big stock of stock in the freezer: the usual veg and chicken stock, with lobster, fish, pheasant, and the like.

There it is mmmm sausage bacon squash soup

Attachments

• 8F7EA023-DE6C-4670-A740-2EED31E476F1.jpg
    8F7EA023-DE6C-4670-A740-2EED31E476F1.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 33
Both. This time I had a part carton of Campbell’s chicken in the fridge to use up so I did.

Any lentils,beans or peas are delicious in soups, whether that means a dhal, a creamy split pea soup or this lentil soup - actually, my wife´s favourite over New Year. We usually make it with the turkey carcass from Xmas Day, although a few ham bones works just as well. It´s important to dice the veg all the same size - because it makes the soup look pretty:LOL::LOL:

Lentil Soup
1 pkt ( 250 gms) brown or French lentils
2 large onions, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 medium potatoes, diced small
3 carrots, diced small
3 ribs celery, diced small
1 large red pepper, diced small
Olive oil
2 tbsps tomato puree
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 lts (or more) Veg stock/Chicken stock - or just water
2 tsps oregano
3 bay leaves
1 tsp thyme
Salt and pepper to taste
Ham hock or Turkey carcass (optional)
Method
Heat the olive oil in a large pan. Add the onion and garlic and sauté gently until the onion wilts.
Now add the vegetables and stir for a minute or two, until they´re well covered with the oil.
Add the rest of the ingredients, salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to medium and cook for about an hour, until all the veg and the lentils are soft.Adjust the seasoning as necessary.
Lentil Soup.jpg

I don’t deserve any credit for those rolls. I just used S&P’s recipe and recommended it.

Well Andy, I look at it as two methods of CI Skillet Rolls, so credit where credit is due.
DH is torn between them, he likes both with beer or milk.
I've started making double batches, but now it's us three rather than we two, I may need to make 3 pans!
:yum:

My wife planned a Halloween party with a couple friends and we finally made a pumpkin soup. Turned out not bad

Anybody make Habitant style French Canadian Peas soup? It's so good.

I once made a beef & barley soup using rolled, rather than pearl barley. It was delicious, though I sed too much barley. It turned into a porridge, rather than a soup:LOL:.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Had an ex-pat friend in Jacksonville who insisted I bring cans of Habitant Pea Soup down every time I passed thru. LOL

Chief's Pepper-Steak Soup
Philly Sandwich. I can taste the onions, beef, cheese, and peppers. Each flavor crosses my tongue, sending signals to my brain. And I say, Wow, I am in culinary heaven."
We're going to get the similar results from this soup, using good beef, and chunks of cheese.

My youngest daughter made this recipe and called to tell me about it. As she made it, she said, she thought I'd botched the recipe. She tasted it every so often, and found it very bland. However, she followed through to the end. When she added the beef, and cheese, the soup became well seasoned, and delicious. That's what she said. It made me smile.

Let's get started. I'm hungry, and I'm commin' to your place when its done (wish I could, but there are too many of you and only one of me).
Ingredients:
1 lb. Sirloin or other lean roast
2 White Onions, peeled and cut into eight wedges
1 green Bell Pepper seeded and cut into 1/4" strips
1 bright-orange Bell Pepper seeded and cut into 1/4" strips
2 tbs. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
4 oz. Havarti sliced cheese
Salt
Black Pepper
Meat Tenderizer

Moisten the roast surface and sprinkle liberally with the meat tenderizer. Stab with a fork, or with a meat tenderizer all over.
Pour the olive oil into a 4 quart soup pan and heat until fragrant. Add the meat and cook for 5 minutes per side. Then, place a meat thermometer in the thickest part of the meat. Add 1 cup of water, cover, and simmer, checking the thermometer every ten minutes until it reads 135' F.
When you have reached 135" F., remove it from the liquid. Add the remaining ingredients to the soup, except for the cheese, and cook until tender. After letting the roast rest for about 20 minutes, bias slice across the grain into paper thin slices. Cut the slices into 1" strips.
When the onions are tender, ladle the soup into bowls. Add three or four strips of meat, and 1/2 slice of cheese to each bowl and serve with a crusty loaf of garlic bread, and your favorite beverage. Might I suggest flan, panacotta, or Crème Brule for desert?

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom