"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Soups
Click Here to Login

Old 11-05-2016, 12:34 AM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Ms. Mofet's Chicken Soup

Ms. Mofet's Chicken Soup

Chicken Soup Stock:

The parsley stems and skins of the onion and carrots add so much flavor and color to the stock

1 Whole chicken or 4 whole bone-in chicken breasts & 8 chicken wings*
1 bunch Leeks - green part for stock - clean well in water to remove all sand and dirt
2 Carrots - unpeeled
2 Celery stalks - whole
1 large Onion - unpeeled and halved
Parsley stems from 1 bunch - washed well
Pepper corns - (I use 5 corn blend) I put them in a tea ball for easy removal later - to taste
Salt - to taste

Place all in lg. pasta pot with insert or soup sock (a cheese cloth bag pictured below).
Cover with water to a couple inches above chicken and vegetables.
Bring to boil then lower heat and simmer 1 or hours, the longer till stock has a nice flavor.
Remove insert from pot (which will strain everything out in one shot) or remove soup sock.
Remove chicken pieces and throw away the vegetables.
Leave stock in pot.
Clean chicken making sure you get all the bones out.
Chop or rip into bite sized pieces.
Set aside.

*If you buy whole chickens and cut them into parts save the backs, skin, neck and the wing tips (the very tip of the wing adds great flavor to stock). Throw them in the freezer. The next time you make soup throw them in with your chicken when you make the stock.

Chicken Soup:

All ingredients to taste and according to amount of soup you wish to make

Homemade Chicken stock
Leeks - white part - chopped small and cleaned well in water to remove sand and dirt
Carrots - peel and chopped small
Celery stalks also the hearts and leaves which add so much flavor - cleaned and chopped small
Onion - chopped small
Parsley - cleaned chopped fine
Potatoes - peeled and chopped small
Salt and ground pepper - to taste
Cleaned chicken meat

Place all in pot except chicken.
Bring to boil then lower heat and simmer till vegetables are tender.
Taste and correct the salt and pepper if needed. (Add canned chicken stock or bouillon if necessary)
Add chicken meat

May be served over cooked Rice (brown or white) - place in bowl and serve soup over the rice.
May top with Grated Romano and Parmesan cheeses

Soup socks are available on Amazon

msmofet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 11:43 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Thank you, msm. Looks so rich and flavorful! That Soup Sock looks like a handy thing to have too, I've never seen those.
Old 11-05-2016, 12:36 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Thank you Cheryl.
I found the soup socks on Amazon while I was looking at something else. They were listed in the "you may also like" group under the item I was looking at. They are very handy and a good price.
Old 11-05-2016, 02:16 PM   #4
Certified/Certifiable

Funny story: I used to tease my kids, and grand-kids that they were getting dirty sock soup for dinner. My youngest daughter - Sprout was comming to visit with her hubby and two daughters. I had a friend make for me to socks made from cheesecloth. I made chicken soup with barley instead of noodles or dumplings (a delicious alternative) with a bit of added soy sauce and ginger. I had the grandaughters dip the socks into soy sauce to make them look, um, dirty. We served up the soup and placed the dirty socks into their mother's bowl. We served Sprout dirty sock soup that night. Of course this was outrageously funny to her girls, aged 4, and 2 at the time.

Your talk about soup stockings reminded me of that day.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- https://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 02:48 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

LOL Chief!

Tags
chicken, recipe, soup

Ms. Mofet's Chicken Soup [B][U]Ms. Mofet's Chicken Soup[/U][/B] [B][U]Chicken Soup Stock:[/U][/B] [B]The parsley stems and skins of the onion and carrots add so much flavor and color to the stock[/B] 1 Whole chicken or 4 whole bone-in chicken breasts & 8 chicken wings* 1 bunch Leeks - green part for stock - clean well in water to remove all sand and dirt 2 Carrots - unpeeled 2 Celery stalks - whole 1 large Onion - unpeeled and halved Parsley stems from 1 bunch - washed well Pepper corns - (I use 5 corn blend) I put them in a tea ball for easy removal later - to taste Salt - to taste Place all in lg. pasta pot with insert or soup sock (a cheese cloth bag pictured below). [COLOR=black]Cover with water to a couple inches above chicken and vegetables.[/COLOR] Bring to boil then lower heat and simmer 1 or hours, the longer till stock has a nice flavor. Remove insert from pot (which will strain everything out in one shot) or remove soup sock. Remove chicken pieces and throw away the vegetables. Leave stock in pot. Clean chicken making sure you get all the bones out. Chop or rip into bite sized pieces. Set aside. [B]*[/B]If you buy whole chickens and cut them into parts save the backs, skin, neck and the wing tips (the very tip of the wing adds great flavor to stock). Throw them in the freezer. The next time you make soup throw them in with your chicken when you make the stock. [B][U]Chicken Soup:[/U][/B] [B][U]All ingredients to taste and according to amount of soup you wish to make[/U][/B] Homemade Chicken stock Leeks - white part - chopped small and cleaned well in water to remove sand and dirt Carrots - peel and chopped small Celery stalks also the hearts and leaves which add so much flavor - cleaned and chopped small Onion - chopped small Parsley - cleaned chopped fine Potatoes - peeled and chopped small Salt and ground pepper - to taste Cleaned chicken meat Place all in pot except chicken. Bring to boil then lower heat and simmer till vegetables are tender. Taste and correct the salt and pepper if needed. (Add canned chicken stock or bouillon if necessary) Add chicken meat May be served over cooked Rice (brown or white) - place in bowl and serve soup over the rice. May top with Grated Romano and Parmesan cheeses Soup socks are available on Amazon [IMG]https://www.discusscooking.com/attachments/photobucket/img_1486397_0_fd64dbd9adb52e09c44cd33020969f4b.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]https://www.discusscooking.com/attachments/photobucket/img_1486397_1_0ff912645e1f0f9a30ddec909cfcfca9.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]https://www.discusscooking.com/attachments/photobucket/img_1486397_2_cb8f1fb43cc3474c0b030ae2b1208342.jpg[/IMG] 3 stars 1 reviews