"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > New Member Introductions!
Click Here to Login

Old 04-02-2020, 11:00 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Thumbs up Green bell peppers

Hello Iím new to this site. I joined because Iím wondering if anyone else has the same problem I have. Today I made steak and green bell pepper in the slow cooker. It came out amazing, but then I took a bit of the green bell pepper and it was bitter. Has anyone else had that problem? I donít remember having this problem when I first started cooking with green bell peppers. Any tips I can use to make sure the next time I cook with green bell peppers I wonít have that bitter taste? Thanks in advance.
Also I realized this is no way to introduce myself but I really need answers. YouTube ďTokyo drift catĒ
Youíre welcome

Blara1128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 02:28 AM   #2
Assistant Cook

Some Green bell peppers are prone to be bitter since they are picked before they have ripen. I believe that it was just chance that you used an unready bell pepper. I buy ones that have noticeable markings on its skin so they wont be bitter.

Archemedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 12:14 PM   #3
Head Chef

Welcome to the forum!

If you've made that same dish before, but this didn't happen, it was probably the variety of the pepper. All green bell peppers have a bitterness too them, which some people are more sensitive to, and simply will not eat green bells - only the ripe ones. Also, the slow cooking method does less to get rid of the bitterness than sautťing them, which is done in most recipes, before the rest of the cooking. If you find you are sensitive to that bitterness, no matter how you cook them, you may be one of those who will want to use only the ripe peppers.

Tags
bell pepper, bell peppers, pepper, peppers