Green bell peppers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blara1128

Assistant Cook
Hello I’m new to this site. I joined because I’m wondering if anyone else has the same problem I have. Today I made steak and green bell pepper in the slow cooker. It came out amazing, but then I took a bit of the green bell pepper and it was bitter. Has anyone else had that problem? I don’t remember having this problem when I first started cooking with green bell peppers. Any tips I can use to make sure the next time I cook with green bell peppers I won’t have that bitter taste? Thanks in advance.
Also I realized this is no way to introduce myself but I really need answers. YouTube “Tokyo drift cat”
You’re welcome

Some Green bell peppers are prone to be bitter since they are picked before they have ripen. I believe that it was just chance that you used an unready bell pepper. I buy ones that have noticeable markings on its skin so they wont be bitter.

Welcome to the forum!

If you've made that same dish before, but this didn't happen, it was probably the variety of the pepper. All green bell peppers have a bitterness too them, which some people are more sensitive to, and simply will not eat green bells - only the ripe ones. Also, the slow cooking method does less to get rid of the bitterness than sautéing them, which is done in most recipes, before the rest of the cooking. If you find you are sensitive to that bitterness, no matter how you cook them, you may be one of those who will want to use only the ripe peppers.

Back
Top Bottom