No Mayo's Quick Extra Garlicky Spicy Olive Oil Pasta Awesomesauce [w/ variations]

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

no mayonnaise

Sous Chef
Here's this sauce I've been making forever. I'll post the basic one, and then the variations you can do with it. It's only got a few ingredients, all of which most people have sitting around so it's a good go-to side dish. Toss in some steamed or grilled veggies too, trust me it's good especially with asparagus. I'm almost positive this is some kind of traditional Italian sauce but I can't for the life of me find a recipe for it so until then I just claim it as a No Mayo recipe. I know 1 head of garlic sounds like a lot but when you cook it in the sauce it really doesn't come out as strongly as you'd think.

1/2 cup EVOO
1/2 dry white wine
1 head garlic, cloves sliced paper thin
2 tsp. pepper flakes, or to taste
1/2 tsp. lemon juice
Minced Italian parsley, garnish
Salt + Pepper

In a pan over low heat, add oil and pepper flakes, stirring occasionally, for 3-5 minutes. Increase heat to medium and add garlic. Saute 1-2 minutes or until garlic is cooked to a "blonde" stage (cooked but not browned). Add wine to the pan, and reduce the wine by about half though you can eyeball it. The sauce will turn a milky color almost for lack of a better word when it's about done. Add lemon juice and taste for seasoning and adjust as necessary. Toss in cooked pasta with minced parsley and top with Parmigiano-Reggiano. Serve immediately. Best with long stringy pasta like spaghetti, linguini, bucatini, etc.

Variations:
Clams: When you add the wine to the sauce, reduce it for only a couple seconds then throw in some cleaned and purged live littleneck clams and cover with a lid until the clams are open, about 3-5 minutes.

Anchovies: When you add the garlic to the sauce, you can also add an anchovy paste to the oil for added flavor. Simply take 1-3 good imported anchovies (to taste) and chop them roughly on the cutting board, then using the broad flat side of your knife in a sliding motion, mash the anchovies against the cutting board multiple times to make a paste. Or you can use pre-made anchovy paste, or a mortar and pestle. Ideally, the anchovy paste will melt away into the sauce and you will be left with no chunks. You could even use fish sauce here.

Broth: You could add any broth you like in place of/addition to the wine and toss the correlating protein into the pasta. Make sure you reduce it accordingly.

Last edited:
No Mayo,

Buon Giorno, No Mayonnaise,

Cool Recipe and thanks so much for taking out the time to post it ... This is on the list for the incoming week, laboral lunches ...

Have a great Sunday,
Ciao.
Margi. Cintrano.

Back
Top Bottom