Commercial range at home question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeekinz

Washing Up
I have a standard 30" gas range in my home kitchen and found that the more I get into cooking, the more space I need. For instance, I cannot have two skillets on the stove at once or if I'm using a stock pot, the cooktop really has no working space.

So....my idea was to purchace a 36" commercial range with 6 burners. I have noticed a few on the web ranging from $1000 - $1500. I actually prefer NOT having all the circuit board crap on my appliances and just have knobs and valves. But my questions were: Has anyone done this before? and Would I still be able to have cabinetry on the sides of the commercial range? Also, any commercial chefs out there with some advise for me?

Thanks in advance.

I suggest you look at Wolf and Viking Prouducts...Both products are very good...with some prefering one over the other...I have a 6 burner Viking that is several years old that has given me no problem (except replacing electronic ignitors in the oven a few times) As to counter space if you have a 30" opening now...obviously you would need to widen out to 36"...So you would lose 3 inches on both sides of the existing counters...Hope this helps!

Replying to myself: I read a couple articles on this subject and found that the commercial units (not commercial style) produce far more heat (btu's) than residential ranges, and that there are insurance/code and venting issues. Also, that there is less insulation so a typical zero clearance cabinet installation is out of the question. Some units require 6-12" clearance on both sides from combustible objects.

But.....A partial "work-around" to get more heat for less money is to get a commercial (i.e. Garland, U.S. Range, Vulcan, etc.) cooktop and residential ovens. Many of the problems with commercial equipment in a home are related to the ovens, not the cooktops. Buying a used one avoids the warranty problems. However, the too-hot simmer, the gas supply issues, and potential service problems still exist.

Wolf, Viking, and now Sears GE and Frid etc plus Dacor, DCS, THermador all have pro or commercial style ranges. THey are well insulated and regulated. A true commercial range, VUlcan HArt commercial Wolf, needs as you heard above venting space because they are not insulated to the same extent. THey also need very good ventilation, and you will have to use griddles etc as buffers for your simmering. (they can put out 24000btus) It's a whole different ball game. Most commercial ranges still use pilots rather than spark igniters. And require commercial gas service lines which are bigger than residential. No such thing as sealed burner etc. You will have to become good at maintainance.

Now your home comercial style ranges are pricey but you get the insulation, the spark igninters, the sealed burners, the simmer features, uses residential lines. etc. And you get the space and flexibility you are looking for. And most produce 15000btus or more per burner.

I just put a Wolf into the kitchen in my new home. I am very happy with it.

I concur as my new Wolf 36 gas/gas has just arrived and is pending delivery.

Bob J

No comercial style stove come close to actual comercial stoves. However like you said there are those vetillation/insurance issues. I'd call your insurance agent and ask him. I would love to have comercial stove and oven one day.

Humm ... several things here Jeekinz:

If you can't have two skillets and a stockpot on a 30-inch stove - your problem is probably not with the width of the stove - but the depth of it.

No - a commercial stove will not work in a residential kitchen - they need more gas (a larger diameter supply line) - and it can cost a lot to replace your gas lines (assuming you can get it done in your community), you need different insulation in/on the walls, spacing between the stove and counters, ventilation, and usually "fire supression" equipment that is not required in a home kitchen.

And, commercial stoves are not insulated the same as "home" stoves - so you have to make some other adjustments to insulate the walls and the area around the stove to keep it from igniting the walls.

The "Home Commercial Style" ranges give you the look and feel of the commercial ranges - but are designed for the lower gas flow, lower temp, and insulation requirements of the "home kitchen" environment.

You didn't say where you live in your profile ... but look in your phone book for a "Restaurant Supply" store in your area and give them a call and talk to them about what you have to do to install a commercial stove in a residential setting. I say a segment on DIY or something like that where someone wanted to do the same thing and by the time they paid for everything - it cost them about $20,000 to install a $2,500 stove.

Last edited:
I too am looking to upgrade to a higher end 36" unit. I went into the search thinking thermador, but eopinion messages were troubling. I then considered the Dacor, which only comes in dual fuel. They have had problems with electronics, I think this wil be their first year with the new model. That scares me too. My investigation leaves me with wolf. My question is do I need dual fuel? $5,000 is in my price range for all gas, but another $2,000 for dual fuel stretches me..big time. I don't bake too much, but do not want to be short sighted on the oven. Does the Wolf all gas keep an even tempurature? All thought s are welcome as my wife is pushing to "just pick one"! Senor bob

You don't need dual fuel. There is no reason why you cannot bake perfect foods in a gas oven.

Is there research out there where ovens have been tested for tempurature consistency? I checked consumer reports but they only rated the Thermador. Some threads in other forums report temp. swings of 80 degrees in gas ovens. I wonder how this compares to electric? Also, is there a site that rates the db of hood fans?

Viking also makes 36" stove, and actually, it is the one I've been dreaming about because it has bigger than standard size burners. It would stick out further than normal stove beyond the cabinets, but the advantage in my opinion is enormous. As is I can only use two burners at the same time. My pans and pot are pretty big (12") so I would love bigger stove. Actually if I can get bigger stove I can live with 4 burner one, if only I can use all of them at the same time.

No reason at all that gas gas won't give you what you are looking for in a stove. The Wolf all gas is still a fine convection oven. What gas ovens do is produce a moister heat due to water vapour. Only an issue in some baking.

Wolf over Viking: not all but many owners have had problems with Viking having defective parts and very slow service. Not only can you read about it, but you can probably find someone local to tell you their problems...Surprizingly I have had six such stories told to me. Wolf does have the 70 year history of commercial ranges behind them, even though domestic Wolf is now part of SubZero. I don't think you'd find the Wolf burners insufficient in size ... WHat Viking really offers is a cut down size (counter depth 24") . THe Wolf sticks out to 29". Also, Wolf is made Wisconsin...your neighbor.

I cannot comment on the Wolf as I have never owned one...However I have owned a Viking for several years..It is a 36" 6 burner...it does stick out beyond the normal 24" kitchen cabinets which has proven not to be a problem..You get used to the "look"....We are very pleased with it's perfomance. The only parts that I have to replace are the two electronic ignitors in the oven. Authorized service centers are few in my location...which is strange as they make the things (or did) about 100 miles north of me...The first time I had the ignitors replaced I had a Sears guy do it...I watched...next time I did it myself and saved the service call and labor.
Other than that...I have had no problems with my Viking.

I might add...

The Viking and I suppose other gas brands will operate in an power outage situation as I experienced(briefly) this morning. Just have to light a match to the burner...my oven is a different story..the electronic ignitors have to reach a temp that will allow the gas valve to open for the oven to light...Obviously a generator will over come that problem in a long term outage...Like 10 days during Katrina...

I looked at a few last night (gasp) $$$$. Thermador has a better price but it looks like a bear to clean in between the flower pattern on the burners (as my better half pointed out).

Last edited by a moderator:
I keep thinking of things to add....

I would advise also that one take a look at your vent/hood system...You get all 6 burners going... which is not hard to do.. and you get a lot of heat...I have a Viking hood as well that will automatically come on when it senses high heat etc. Also I installed a larger dia. flue pipe to accomadate the hood.

senorBob said:
Is there research out there where ovens have been tested for tempurature consistency? I checked consumer reports but they only rated the Thermador. Some threads in other forums report temp. swings of 80 degrees in gas ovens. I wonder how this compares to electric? Also, is there a site that rates the db of hood fans?

I believe the wide temperature swings for gas ovens is an older issue and has been addressed in recent years. I have a GE gas range that's about 7 years old and have measured the temperature swings and they are MUCH less than 80 degrees. I believe there was an over/under of less than 15 F.

Uncle Bob's story of the igniters is typical of the reports on Viking. THat really bothers some people. Others take it in stride.

Yes you will need proper hood to outside ventilation, whatever brand you buy.

THe THermador star pattern in based on an old commercial model that is very effective. But it is a bear to clean on a sealed burner surface.

WHatever range you end up getting, choose it because it services your needs the way you cook. You'll be happy with your choice.

Back
Top Bottom