Food Processor for my GF

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tennyson

Assistant Cook
Hey all, I am looking around at food processors for my girlfriend for her birthday. Now I don't know whether you will think that's a good gift because this is a cooking forum, or if it's lame. Regardless, I would like to buy it at Williams-Sonoma because we have one nearby and I have a giftcard there which will allow me to spend more on it. I read some reviews and came to the conclusion that I should get either one of these two:

Cuisinart Food Processor, 14-Cup | Williams-Sonoma

Cuisinart Elite Food Processor, 11-Cup | Williams-Sonoma

My price limit is $200. Does anyone have any advice on which is better, or opinions on better food processors sold by WS? My girlfriend has mentioned on multiple occasions wanting a food processor to make pesto and eventually bread. So I'm hoping either of these will do those tasks just fine. Thanks for all your help!

For a long time, the 11-cup was the standard size for FP. the 14-cup is a newer size. I'd bet most recipes will work in an 11-cup.

Thank^

And for the life of me I can't find information that distinguishes the cuisinart elite from the normal one. Does anyone have any insight into this?

My take is this:

The Elite is a newer style body with touch-pad style buttons. Because it's smaller in capacity, it has a slightly less powerful motor.

The 14-cup is an older design that hasn't changed in over a decade. It has a larger capacity and a slightly more powerful motor to handle the larger capacity.

They both have the same blades and pieces in the box.

Thank you, very helpful! If you had to recommend one, would you go for updated style or more powerful motor? I'm thinking the latter, but I have no cooking experience.

I wouldn't consider the motor differences as a factor. The larger FP has a more powerful motor because it would have to deal with larger food loads. There is no performance benefit to the larger motor.

The Elite is prettier and maybe easier to clean. Think about your girlfriend's preferences, not yours. Will she be more likely to notice the newer, more current design or the motor specs?

I would tend to go with the heavier motor, largely because you say your girlfriend would like to make bread. If that's the case, my choice would be the more substantial motor because bread is a more resistant substance and might tax a less powerful motor.

I'm more of a function person over style and much prefer a machine, of any type appliance, that performs rather than one that looks pretty on the counter. As for the cleaning factor, I've never really had any trouble cleaning any of my appliances like my food processor or blender and I've had the same ones since the late '60s. Well, the blender at least. The food processor isn't quite that old, but it is one of the first Cuisinart made when they were introduced. It's a real trooper and I expect it to keep going many more years.

I'd definitely go for the 11 cup. Its what I've had for 30 years and use practically every day.

There are a lot of smaller jobs that a 14 cup will be way too big for. Like making a 2 person quantity of pesto (which a mortar and pestle makes very well, btw).

Like the difference between a Kitchenaid Pro and Kitchenaid Artisan mixer, a large food processor's bowl doesn't handle small amounts very well.

If she is really keen on making bread, the 14 might be better. I make bread sometimes in the 11 but just to get the doughball together and then knead by hand. Most of the time I make no-knead bread, which comes out better anyway.

Hmm I never thought about something being "too big." Primarily she is cooking for just the two of us - but she occasionally makes big batches of things if we are going to a party or something along those lines. She does seem pretty interested in learning to make bread too...decisions decisions

I have a 10-cup and every so often I wish I had something just a tad larger. Although, cleaning would be rough if it was bigger because it's already a hassle.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom