New Consumer Report Gas v Electric

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

selliot1958

Assistant Cook
This month's CR has 14 elecrtic models out performing gas. I know the general conception is that gas out performs electric but is that still the case with these new models. No gas range received an excellent rating for the high heat. Can you stir fry on an electric and bring a pot to boil in a reasonable amount of time. Why is it that Viking and kitchenaid, two of the more expensive models, are at the bottom of the rankings? They usually look sweet though. I know this topic has been discussed in the past, but I'm looking for details as to which performs better in which situations also.

Welcome to DC.

It's not surprising that electric can boil a pot of water faster than gas. They crank out a lot of heat. This is supported by the electrics' getting higher ratings for high heat.

They don't respond quickly to temperature changes. Rather than turning down the heat and continuing to cook, you have to slide the pot off the burner until the beruner heat responds to the adjustment.

I've had expensice with electrics and glass tops which were pretty slow on the boil. recntly was living in an apartment with a Magic Chef range...looked like garbage but put out the btus like crazy...top of the dial was incineration. Induction will also heat very quickly. But on a gas range of quality with the right pan, the boil is quick and the other advantages numerous ...not to mention that my pot doesn't slide all over the stove!

I just do not like electric. With my gas stovetop water boils in a few minutes, I can adjust the heat instantly, can flambe etc.
It is a jennair dual fuel, one burner is strong enough for stir frying. Would not switch to electric, no matter what CR says.

Viking Gas burner here...will never go electric!
In the past few years I have begun to question CR's neutrality.
Please don't ask for specifics...just a feeling a get sometimes!

If you base a rating on how fast it takes to boil water, as Consumer Reports does, most electric stoves with high-powered heating elements will outperform gas. However, if you are an (aspiring) good cook, boiling water is not all you'll ever want to do.

If you want to do cooking that allows you to precisely control the temperature--get just to the right point for what's in your pan--gas will outperform electricity. When gas is off, it's off--there's no more heat, except what's retained in your pan. When electricity is off, you've got several more minutes of heat from the burner. So unless you want to burn the stuff you're cooking, you've got to plan for those extra moments of heat (sometimes problematic) or move the pan off the burner (sometimes heavy--and where are you going to put it?).

So if you've gone beyond just boiling water, you'll probably want a gas stove.

CR likes to project an image of objectivity but it's largely a sham. It's true that they objectively report the results of the tests they perform, but the choice of what type of products to test, which products of that type to include in the test, what kind of tests to perform and how to perform those tests are all subjective.

Veloce said:
CR likes to project an image of objectivity but it's largely a sham. It's true that they objectively report the results of the tests they perform, but the choice of what type of products to test, which products of that type to include in the test, what kind of tests to perform and how to perform those tests are all subjective.

Not sure what you're suggesting here.

Are you saying their motives are suspect or their methods don't produce accurate results or just a general observation that no comparative test of this kind can be truly and completely objective.

...and, how would you do it differently to make it better?

Regardless of everything that has been reported by Consumer REports or has been said in all the previous posts, I would always choose gas over electricity simply because electricity costs one **** of a lot more than gas, at least here in California. In fact, if someone made modern gas lamps, I'd replace all of my electric ones.

Andy M. said:
Not sure what you're suggesting here. Are you saying their motives are suspect or their methods don't produce accurate results or just a general observation that no comparative test of this kind can be truly and completely objective.
I was not questioning CR's motives or the accuracy of their results. (Those are topics for another discussion.) I was observing that their apparently objective conclusions are influenced by the unstated subjective choices they make before they start testing.
Andy M. said:
...and, how would you do it differently to make it better?
Better in what respect? As you say, no comparative test can be truly objective, and that's the business they're in. I guess I just think some "consumers" (I hate that word) should be a little more skeptical. And personally, when I used to read the magazine I'd have liked them to lighten up a bit and admit in print that different people like different things. I'm not sure I ever saw the word "fun" in any of their reports.

I believe CR does as commendable a job as possible to bring unbiased info to the public. They're trying to be professional and present information that is of the most use to the most people.

They test the speed at which ranges can boil water to provide a uniform basis for determining which burners put out the most heat. Always a useful bit of information.

Each consumer (sorry) has to evaluate the information presented to determine if it's important to them. Then each can decide if they are willing to sacrifice some heat output for the ability to immediately change heat output levels.

I don't look to CR for fun.

Veloce said:
I'm not sure I ever saw the word "fun" in any of their reports.
What does that have to do with anything???

I find that I often do not agree with CR when it comes to something that I am really into or know a decent amount about. For instance, I am very into photography and found that the ratings they gave my camera were pretty far off from what I would give it or from what the photography community in general would give it.

Now when it is something that I do not know a lot about or do not have as a hobby (washing machines for instance) I think they give me some good info too look at so that I can make a more educated decision than before I read their article at least.

As for gas vs. electric stoves, I grew up in a house that had gas. Once I was living on my own, which is when I really started cooking, I always had electric. For a while I was very disappointed that I did not have gas, but once I got used to cooking on gas I really liked it. I am not going to say that one is better than the other, because I really don't think that is true. They each have thier advantages and disadvantages. Gas responds very quickly. Electric is better at very low and very high temps. You just need to learn the tools you are using and you will do fine with either.

GB said:
What does that ["fun"] have to do with anything???
You don't really mean that do you? Life without enjoyment (fun) would be pretty pointless. And many of the things that bring us enjoyment are not quantifiable, or if they are they may well be on the wrong side of the bean counter's ledger. I like old technology. My bicycles have freewheels and non-indexed shifting. My motorcycles are kick start. My cameras don't have built-in metering. Any of these would be scored low by CR for the very reasons I enjoy them them.

If you like old style technology, great! More power to you. Others prefer newer technology and CR helps them with that. We're not talking about a life without fun here. We're talking about the contents of a magazine with a very specific focus.

The point is, CR is not some place a normal person goes looking for fun. I also don't look to MAD magazine for product reviews.

I was about to write a whole big comment when I saw that Andy said what I was going to say already. No one is saying life should be without fun. But we are talking about a magazine here and the fact that they never printed the word fun really has no bearing on anything at all IMO.

GB said:
Now when it is something that I do not know a lot about or do not have as a hobby (washing machines for instance)

Washing machines aren't one of your hobbies? Really?

We have a GE glass-top that's about 5 years old, and it is a wonderful stove.. best one I've ever used, and I've used a lot of stoves. It heats up quickly, the temperatures are accurate, and it's just so easy to use and take care of. It also has a lot of handy extras, like a burner that converts from XL to small with the flip of a switch.
We looked at the Kitchen Aide, but it was very pricey, about half again as much as the GE, and I can't imagine how it could be any better.

I understand the loyalty some of you have to gas ranges. I cooked a lot of wonderful meals on a gas range, and you can't beat them for canning.
In fact, that's what I wanted when we built the house, but we sit way back from the road, and it was going to cost a fortune to put in the gas line. We also got a discount on our electric rate for having an all electric house. Good thing, as our electric rates are going up a whole bunch very shortly. :mad:

As far as CR goes have not used them in years.

Maybe they have changed but just never found them very helpful, except to point out what features I should look for in an item.

Today find the web far more helpful. But that is just me. Because if I want a washing machine that can also pluck chickens (maybe using the hot rinse and then the spin?), CR ain't gonna tell me about that. But someone, somewhere, on the web will have defeathered fowl the simple way and will probably be talking about it.

But enough about CR, and I have nothing against the organization.

Lived for many years with gas, then for many more had electric, and now have a Viking. Have never purchased a stove, just used whatever the digs had in place.

Mr Viking takes forever to pre-heat the oven and the gas never gets down low enough to simmer properly. Have to kind of place the pot on the adjacent cold burner and watch it.

But it is great to be able to stir fry in a round bottom wok and when that burner is off, it is cool.

But on electric can always stir fry in a flat bottom wok (not quite the same but one learns to adapt) and just move a pot from a burner.

There are advantages to both methods and I have learned to adapt.

I still have too much to learn about cooking to bother very much about the nuances of stoves. Figure my food will be better if I worry more about how to cook it than what to cook it on.

And as far as CR goes, if they ever take up the chicken plucking conundrum, just may subscribe.

What is best for stirfrying...gas or electric?

Hi,
I am new here and am not the best at navigating/searching the threads. I want to purchase a new stove...have viewed the latest CR mag...am totally confused as to why gas rates poor with heat output. My main concern is being able to stirfry. I was leaning toward gas but now am wondering if the flat tops are more efficient. Would love some input!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom