Pressure Cooker Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mmyap

Sous Chef
My Christmas present to myself this year is going to be a pressure cooker. I've never had one, never used one so I'm a little bit nervous. I think a stainless one is the way to go but I'm wondering if anyone has any advice or tips for me.

Also, can a pressure cooker be used for both meal cooking and canning or should you have two, one for regular cooking and one for canning?

Any tips, advice or favorite recipes are most definitely appreciated.

My Christmas present to myself this year is going to be a pressure cooker. I've never had one, never used one so I'm a little bit nervous. I think a stainless one is the way to go but I'm wondering if anyone has any advice or tips for me.

Also, can a pressure cooker be used for both meal cooking and canning or should you have two, one for regular cooking and one for canning?

Any tips, advice or favorite recipes are most definitely appreciated.

I prefer the stovetop stainless steel ones. This is mostly because that's what we had when I was young and it's what I'm most comfortable with. I have a "pro-selections" brand that we bought at a home convention show many years ago. Check out this site for details on that brand. It has given great service.

A pressure canner is typically much larger than a pressure cooker for foods. I don't think there is any reason not to use a pressure cooker for canning but you may only be able to get a couple of jars done at a time.

I found one of these while I was out shopping today.

Kuhn Rikon Switzerland Products: 7 Qt Pressure Cooker

To me it looked too narrow if you wanted to use it as a canner but it was definitely nice.

I liked the one at the Pro-Selections sight a lot but I would have to have it shipped. That always costs more because of where I live. But I'm thinking this is one of those once in a lifetime purchases so it may be worth investing in.

Actually, you can use a canner to cook in, but some pressure cookers are NOT suitable for canning. You need one that allows you to can at least 3 quart jars--recipes take into account the amount of time that it takes to heat the contents up, and a smaller cooker may come to pressure too quickly to make for safe canning.

The other thing a pressure canner needs is a way to control the pressure--some cookers only have one setting.

Canners will say 'pressure canner' on the packaging. Some have a weighted jiggler, some have a gauge. I have never used a gauge canner--I think they have to be monitored more closely, and the gauge needs to be tested yearly.

I use my big pressure canner (holds 7 quart jars) to can, of course, but I also use it to make stock. Some of that stock goes into jars and gets canned.

Per Sparrowgrass: I have a feeling it would be best to keep my pressure cooker separate from my pressure canning thoughts. The one thing you don't want to do wrong is pressure can incorrectly. I think I'm going to go get the Kuhn. It was priced at $240 but there is a sale going on today so I'll get a bit of a discount. Plus it's only 10 minutes to the store so there is none of that delayed gratification necessary with online shopping.

Thank you guys so much for being so helpful.

Back
Top Bottom