Sour Cherries

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thank you and have fun.

We sure did.
There is only one farm ( That I know of near me) which offers cherry picking. Its a very narrow window , about 3 weeks during the year. Last year was cancelled due to covid, the year before that they cancelled due to weather conditions. So its been a few years since we went cherry picking. They have server al varieties from sour to sweet, yellow to purplish red, soft to firm. The price is hefty, but its nice to get out and pick something off the tree.

Its amazing how many cherries grow/ cluster on one tree. They grow them in an Espaler fashion, creating neat rows and easy to harvest. (Basically keeping the trees in one plane, not allowing to to bush out in all directions. Kinda like how you would see grapes grown in a vineyard, just with trees instead of vines).

Didn't get nearly as many as you did, Charlie. I would have had to get a second mortgage on the house to do that :LOL: . Got a couple of quarts to snack on, on the way home and to eat while watching a movie later on.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-07-05 at 3.58.13 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-07-05 at 3.58.13 AM.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 59
  • Screen Shot 2021-07-05 at 3.57.24 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-07-05 at 3.57.24 AM.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 61
  • Screen Shot 2021-07-05 at 3.57.10 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-07-05 at 3.57.10 AM.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 53
  • Screen Shot 2021-07-05 at 3.56.45 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-07-05 at 3.56.45 AM.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 53
  • Screen Shot 2021-07-05 at 3.48.26 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-07-05 at 3.48.26 AM.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 52
Maybe 1 pound, for slightly more. I know I got ripped off, but it was more for the experience of picking my own fruit that the cherries themselves. Also located in a stuck up part of the island, so wouldn't expect It to be cheap :)

All this talk about cherries makes me hungry for home made cherry pie, or cherry fry pies, with a vanilla sugar glaze. For something a little different (I know this because I did it) sweeten your pie dough with sugar, and dust the top crust with coarse sugar and cinnamon. It's delicious.

DW told me i was nuts when I made this pie for a church potluck. I use d freshly picked Rainer cherries, and got rave reviews.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Online friend of mine in Barcelona has a few sour cherry trees. He said his production is down. Climate or something because he didn't do anything different.

T

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom