dinner tonight ? 7/26

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kadesma

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
I've decided on shrimp tacos with an avocado sauce instead of the usual taco sauce, and to go on the tacos, some chopped onion, cilantro,peppers if anyone wants more, lettuce and tomato, also some spicy chicken soup that I had frozen..For something to munch before hand some spicy peanuts and a grilled cheese type thing with onion, chilles,olives, tomato diced and put on top and you scoop some up with tortilla chips to eat it.
dessert don't really know but it will be something easy, cool and light:LOL:
What do you have planned?

kadesma:cool:

I bought some venison the other day. Gonna make my first deer meal. I'm searching for a good recipe now.

Pds,
I've never cooked venison, but ate it as a kid. My grandmother made some type of stew out of it. I have a recipe for venison stew that uses olives, mushrooms parsley,onions, red wine, thyme, dry mustard if you don't find something that catches your eye. :LOL:

kadesma

pdswife said:
I'd love it Kadesma! I have all that stuff!! Thanks!
Here it is, now mind you I've not made this one, but a friend gave it to me...wonder why?:LOL:
3-4 lbs.venison meat cut in 2 inch cubes
kosher salt
black pepper in a mill
1/4-c. red wine vinegar
1-1/4 c. red wine
1-c. a/p flour
2 tea. dry mustard (Colemans)
1/4-c. bacon drippings
1- med yellow onion
1-tea. thyme leaves
1/4-c. chopped flat leaf parsley
about a pound of mushrooms,cut in half
2-c. pitted black olives
1-c. beef stock
place venison in glass or ceramic bowl, season with salt and pepper and pour the vinegar and 3/4- c of wine over. Refrigerate overnight!!!
Drain and pat dry. Combine flour and mustard with 2 tea. black pepper and 1 Tab. salt in med size paper bag add the venison and shake to coat. then remove from bag:LOL: and shake off excess flour and when everything is coated , Heat the bacon drippings in large skillet that has a lid, over med heat add the venison and brown. Add the onion and saute til soft. Stir in the parsley,thyme,mushrooms and olives. Add stock and remaining cup of red wine. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered, til fork tender about 2 hrs, then taste and add more salt and pepper if needed. Let rest 10 min off heat then serve.
hope this works for you it looks great and is similar to my grandma's
kadesma:)

Kads, your shrimp tacos sound great! I've been craving seafood lately and they'd hit the spot. Would you mind sharing your avocado sauce recipe? It sounds interesting!

I'm not sure what we're doing for dinner tonight. Once Sofie has her afternoon nap, she and I are going back over to the hospital to visit DH's grandma again. She's doing well but needs some company and we're happy to visit. It's a 40 minute drive so I have a feeling we'll be hitting rush hour on the way home and Sofie still isn't keen on long car rides. This might be a pick up subs/pizza kind of evening.

Thanks Kadesma! The deer has been thawed since yesterday though.. I don't think I should let it sit over night again. I'll do your recipe next time though. It sounds good!!!

what cut do you have?

pdswife said:
Thanks Kadesma! The deer has been thawed since yesterday though.. I don't think I should let it sit over night again. I'll do your recipe next time though. It sounds good!!!

what cut of deer do you have. hubby gets a deer every year there all
sorts of stuff to make depending on the cut.

i have made chili (might be to hot out for that)
deer fried steak
stew
deer burgers

not sure what we are having i think left overs we are picking my
11 yr old up from camp tonight.

my 13 yr old might have some friends over for diner they saw
the chicken topper left overs and thought it looked good. there is not
enough for all of us, sorta hope they do come over not sure
i want the chicken and they seemed excited about it.

Pan seared tilapia with roasted pepper tartar sauce and spicy chicken wings, white rice and green beans

I'm doing something with chicken breasts. Heaven knows what. Guess I'll head over to the Chicken Forum.:)

PA Baker said:
Kads, your shrimp tacos sound great! I've been craving seafood lately and they'd hit the spot. Would you mind sharing your avocado sauce recipe? It sounds interesting!

I'm not sure what we're doing for dinner tonight. Once Sofie has her afternoon nap, she and I are going back over to the hospital to visit DH's grandma again. She's doing well but needs some company and we're happy to visit. It's a 40 minute drive so I have a feeling we'll be hitting rush hour on the way home and Sofie still isn't keen on long car rides. This might be a pick up subs/pizza kind of evening.
I'd be glad to Pa:)
It's simple and spicey, you can controll the heat by the amount of the serrano chile you use.
here goes:
1-large. avocado, chop coarsley
1-3 serrano chiles- I use just a half of one, kids are not fond of HOT
3-Tab. fresh lime juice
1-tea. kosher salt
Place avocado in f/p or blender. Add the amount of chiles you want, lime juice,salt and bout a 1/4-c. water blend til smooth, you can thin it more with water if you want. Refrigerate til ready to use, it keeps only about 1 day, if there is any left:LOL: I put it in a pitcher that I use for maple syrup to serve it, not so many drips and spills:)
It is also wonderful on pork that is shredded and put on corn tortillas emm..my favorite, hope the shrimp ones taste as good.

kadesma

I'm making a beef pie (homemade crust), and fries. Pie and chips :) (geico commercial). :LOL:

Company tonight - eggplant parmigiana layered with veal and prosicutto, fontina and mozzarella, homemade garlic rolls, insalata, homemade wine, desserts will be homemade pear crunch tart, stacked cannoli, orange-apricot corn muffins. Whew! I'm tired just reading it.

Husband brought home a package of really thin-cut "scallopini-style" turkey cutlets Tuesday, so last night I made them a la Marsala - with lots of sauteed Crimini mushrooms. Served them with some plain buttered broccoli spears & garlic mashed potatoes.

Not what I consider a "summer" meal, but I had a taste for it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom